Add-on (XF1.5) RFP: Need add-on to truncate incoming RSS feed

Solari

...via Registered Feeds. I'd like to be able to set a value in Registered Feeds options to limit the size of the content pulled in so as to avoid copyright issues because some feeds are full feeds. To be clear, this is for XF 1.5, not 2.

So I'd like to be able to set a value of, say, 500 to truncate anything beyond 500 characters.

I'd like this to be coded as lightly and cleanly as possible, perhaps following the suggestion of this fellow:

The cleanest solution would be to create an addon that extends the feed model:

XenForo_Model_Feed::prepareFeedEntry

That would allow you to perform string operations on the title content before it is written to the database.

You can also modify the code directly (library/XenForo/Model/Feed.php), but file changes are overwritten when you upgrade.

I also would like to post this as an available add-on for all to download in Resources to share. You would also be free to port it to XF2.0 as your own code, etc.

Thank you!
Ray

Last edited:
UPDATE: I found out it's a simple matter of redirecting full feeds into Google's Feedburner service which has ability to truncate feeds, so I can use that. Who knows how long Google will keep the service, however?

I'm still up for funding this if there is enough demand for it and releasing it to all on Resources as a way of giving back to the community. : )

Ray

Top Bottom