XF should upload their footer and bigger menu from this website as resources

Alternadiv

The menu and footer (see screenshots) are nice because they obviously have the same XF aesthetic that the default style uses. I think it would be handy for a lot of people if they could quickly take the code for these as template edits or as an add-on, from an official resource by @XenForo.

Plus, it would be a nice gesture to hold people over while we complain about the 2.3 wait.

1667856070889.webp

1667856100413.webp

I was very much inspired by the "official" footer for my community, at first I thought I couldn't achieve it but in the end it's not that complicated, it's only HTML and CSS but you have to practice a little it's true. Concerning my forum, which is the humble counterpart in French of this one, it is not shocking to see this great similarity but for a forum on a completely different subject, theme perhaps it would be better to make it unique, a footer is also part of the visual identity of a site.

Capture web_7-11-2022_213442_xenforo.fr.webp

The menu and footer (see screenshots) are nice because they obviously have the same XF aesthetic that the default style uses. I think it would be handy for a lot of people if they could quickly take the code for these as template edits or as an add-on, from an official resource by @XenForo.

Plus, it would be a nice gesture to hold people over while we complain about the 2.3 wait.

View attachment 276149

View attachment 276150
I mean it’s basically open source. The footer HTML and CSS is right there.

The menu system is probably slightly more complicated but for the most part it’s just HTML and CSS and some bits from the XF JS framework.

It’s not something we’d be releasing as a resource.

I mean it’s basically open source. The footer HTML and CSS is right there.
That, I know. But at that point, any custom footer and menu can be added for people who can make them from scratch or know how to inspect source and properly add the code to the templates. The open source idea could be made for most other HTML/CSS customizations that are built into XF. Why did you give us the ability to quickly change the appearance of anything if we could've open-sourced-it from inspecting the code on this site, is what I'm saying. I'm not being snarky though; I see what you mean. I just think a lot of folks would appreciate having this footer or that menu in one click or by following a template edit guide. Actually, that gives me an idea... maybe I'll make that guide and upload it as a resource here.

For an unofficial add-on....

(... but wait a bit before downloading, I realize the version here is a few revisions behind, will update it sometime this week.)

I was very much inspired by the "official" footer for my community, at first I thought I couldn't achieve it but in the end it's not that complicated, it's only HTML and CSS but you have to practice a little it's true. Concerning my forum, which is the humble counterpart in French of this one, it is not shocking to see this great similarity but for a forum on a completely different subject, theme perhaps it would be better to make it unique, a footer is also part of the visual identity of a site.

View attachment 276151

Same with me on a site I built...a little different than XF's, but still completely inspired by theirs...

ss.webp

They might be basically open source but the forum software license doesn't extend to XF's own website if Im not mistaken, so copy pasting their html/css would be a grey area as it's copying copyright content without express permission; though now we can perhaps quote Chris' comment as express permission.

The menu and footer (see screenshots) are nice because they obviously have the same XF aesthetic that the default style uses.
I made a free add-on for the footer. :)

Top Bottom