XF of the month?

Razasharp

Wonder if the XF team think a forum of the month (and perhaps a forum of the year) competition would be a good idea? They used to be fun over the road, and a great way for people to see what's possible with the software.

The boards could be judged on design or tech (in how XF is used) or whatever else the XF team thinks appropriate.

The prize could simply be a free XF license :D so no shipping or other costs for KAM.

What do you think? I'd enter for a free license or branding-free option :lol:

Wouldn't winning it and being displayed (and the views that would come with it) for having one of the best designs/forums among everyone here be a prize in itself?

For me personally, no.

I actually stopped putting my sites forward for such comps because it can attract copy cats/rippers. I remember when someone over the road asked me if I would let them use some of our icons and when I politely declined (as they were custom designed for our site) he hounded me, and then said if I don't let him use them he's gonna use them anyway :eek: I stopped entering the comps after that.

So even with the prize I would think twice about entering tbh, although have obviously considered it hence posted the thread - partly to see what others are doing with XF, partly as it may help XF/KAM and partly to maybe win sommin if our XF board is good enough. Even if I don't enter myself it's nice for those that do, and those that like seeing how people are using XF, so still worth suggesting.

Over the road you used to get to choose a prize that was shipped out to you - so a free license or similar would mean no financial outlay for KAM.

I see what you mean, I suppose I assume the best of people. And thus far, I haven't seen anyone of that sort in the xenForo community.

Often it's not the community - it's professional site rippers who keep on eye on such comps.

I guess I meant at a glance - and not have to go through hundreds of threads, but just look at a handful and see sites that are rated highly (as entries usually go through a nomination phase first).

Often it's not the community - it's professional site rippers who keep on eye on such comps.

Yeah I had such an experience. Paid good money to have a custom theme made. Really stood out and someone ripped it and well I just lost all interest in that site after that. So......I now just use pre made themes. What's the point of paying a buttload of money to be 100% unique for someone to come along and steal it.

Yeah I had such an experience. Paid good money to have a custom theme made. Really stood out and someone ripped it and well I just lost all interest in that site after that. So......I now just use pre made themes. What's the point of paying a buttload of money to be 100% unique for someone to come along and steal it.

Was that your simcity site/style @Ernest L. Defoe ?

Yeah, I felt bad for you with that style since you put alot of work into that site only to have some young thief (very active here still) stealing your hardwork. I asked because it's one of the cases of theft that as stood out for me since i was fairly active at your site at the time.

Yeah I remember. Well that person has apologized and has actually released some pretty nice stuff here. It just broke my heart as @Russ spent quite a bit of time fine tuning everything and then that happened. It's life I guess. Working on a new site now and I am getting it "Sheldon'ized" so it will be pretty kick butt.

There is a way around it - well not exactly, but it makes it harder for rippers - and that is to mash up the templates as much as possible. Thus making it more difficult than a simple css-rip as it requires a lot more editing of the underlying mark-up.

We used to do that with our vB sites (it just worked out like that tbh) but the downside is more stuff breaks on updates.

Top Bottom