XF 1.5 XF no longer loads after web host change. Please help

Tristan10

I have just changed hosts and here is how I did it:

• Downloaded all the files from the old host and uploaded them in the same directory on the new one.
  • Exported the database as .sql and then used SSH to import all the info over to a new database.
  • Edited the config.php file to match the information of the new database.
  • Made sure the file permissions for data and internal_data are set to 777
When trying to access the site, it loads forever and eventually fails (saying took to long to respond or something along those lines.) . I know the domain is set up correctly because I made a test html file in the root directory where I have XF installed and pointed my browser to it. Loaded up fine.

Did I miss anything? Why won't XenForo load? Thanks for any suggestions!

If the domain is failing to resolve then that would typically point to an issue at the server level.

You will likely need to seek support from your host or sysadmin to determine what that is.

A URL may help to provide more context/information.

I still have access to the old database that was working. Is there a certain way I need to export/import ?
If you have SSH access, then use terminal to log into the server and dump the DB from mysql with
mysqldump -u [DBusername] -p [dbname] > [dbname].sql - where all the the brackets are replaced with what it calls for, your db username and then the db name itself.
to import use
mysql -u [DBusername] -p [db_to_restore] < [dbname].sql

This assumes that you have already created the DB in mySQL on the server you are importing into.

If you have SSH access, then use terminal to log into the server and dump the DB from mysql with
mysqldump -u [DBusername] -p [dbname] > [dbname].sql - where all the the brackets are replaced with what it calls for, your db username and then the db name itself.
to import use
mysql -u [DBusername] -p [db_to_restore] < [dbname].sql

This assumes that you have already created the DB in mySQL on the server you are importing into.
I do not have shell access to the old database server. Just access using phpMyAdmin...

So I used the export option in phpMyAdmin and then imported to the new database via SSH.

Make sure your phpMyAdmin export is valid - frequently (especially if the DB is large) the export times out and turns into a corrupted export.
At the bottom of the DB export, you should see something about Dump Completed and a time stamp if the export was good.

Make sure your phpMyAdmin export is valid - frequently (especially if the DB is large) the export times out and turns into a corrupted export.
At the bottom of the DB export, you should see something about Dump Completed and a time stamp if the export was good.
I didn't see any confirmation, but the SQL file that was downloaded contained all of the tables and information that the database contained.

yeah, apparently it doesn't do like mysqldump does and give you a notice that it was completed successfully - just one more reason why I don't trust it.

It looks like a MySQLi/database issue.

This resolves fine: http://www.rivalforums.com/rgba.php

These do not:
http://www.rivalforums.com/sitemap.php
http://www.rivalforums.com/deferred.php

Try running the server requirements test script from the purchase page, just in case.
I have a theory that it could be the way the database is exported. This is the second time I have switched hosts and I took a look at the old database export I used to switch hosts the first time. It contains different engines/data types than the current export.

For example: The xf_session_activity table was exported as a MEMORY engine during my first move. Now all of the tables are exported as InnoDB. Not sure if this matters... I am not very experienced with databases.

Nor do I know how to change it during the export.

I can't seem to get this to work at all. I have tried many things, but for some reason I just can't get the site to load. Is there anything that I can try?

I am fairly certain this is being caused by the export of the database not having the right engines/values.

I have tried using an old backup that I know is restorable, then updating the tables and records with the new information. I think the problem is that some of the information is of the wrong type because of the export. I also ran into issues because I have installed add ons since that old database backup was created.

I have just about exhausted my knowledge (however little it is). Any suggestions on how I could make it compatible would be appreciated.

PHP:
An exception occurred: Access denied for user 'rivalfo1_Admin'@'192.168.0.12' (using password: YES) in /home/rivalfo1/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php on line 333

1. Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->_connect() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 315
2. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->getConnection() in XenForo/Application.php at line 730
3. XenForo_Application->loadDb()
4. call_user_func_array() in XenForo/Application.php at line 973
5. XenForo_Application->lazyLoad() in XenForo/Application.php at line 1004
6. XenForo_Application::get() in XenForo/Application.php at line 1609
7. XenForo_Application::getDb() in XenForo/Model.php at line 161
8. XenForo_Model->_getDb() in XenForo/Model/DataRegistry.php at line 138
9. XenForo_Model_DataRegistry->_getMultiFromDb() in XenForo/Model/DataRegistry.php at line 97
10. XenForo_Model_DataRegistry->getMulti() in XenForo/Dependencies/Abstract.php at line 147
11. XenForo_Dependencies_Abstract->preLoadData() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 127
12. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/rivalfo1/public_html/index.php at line 13

Just checking you definitely have a MySQL user (with correct username/password in XF's config.php) created with the needed privileges on your new database?

The problems are wider than that - an incorrect user name or password would manifest itself immediately.

Any page involving MySQL just won't resolve, or at least not for the first few minutes I waited.

PHP:
An exception occurred: Access denied for user 'rivalfo1_Admin'@'192.168.0.12' (using password: YES) in /home/rivalfo1/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php on line 333

1. Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->_connect() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 315
2. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->getConnection() in XenForo/Application.php at line 730
3. XenForo_Application->loadDb()
4. call_user_func_array() in XenForo/Application.php at line 973
5. XenForo_Application->lazyLoad() in XenForo/Application.php at line 1004
6. XenForo_Application::get() in XenForo/Application.php at line 1609
7. XenForo_Application::getDb() in XenForo/Model.php at line 161
8. XenForo_Model->_getDb() in XenForo/Model/DataRegistry.php at line 138
9. XenForo_Model_DataRegistry->_getMultiFromDb() in XenForo/Model/DataRegistry.php at line 97
10. XenForo_Model_DataRegistry->getMulti() in XenForo/Dependencies/Abstract.php at line 147
11. XenForo_Dependencies_Abstract->preLoadData() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 127
12. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/rivalfo1/public_html/index.php at line 13

Just checking you definitely have a MySQL user (with correct username/password in XF's config.php) created with the needed privileges on your new database?

The problems are wider than that - an incorrect user name or password would manifest itself immediately.

Any page involving MySQL just won't resolve, or at least not for the first few minutes I waited.

Sorry, let me explain.

I just changed the domain to point back to the old host. The one that's still working, but I forgot to change the config.php file. So now the link www.rivalforums.com should be functional. (So long as the nameservers aren't being dumb. I just changed them)

However, the new host is still not working. If you would like to try and test it, you can do so via the url www.gbrgaming.com (It also points to my installation of XF)

Do you think you could take another look? I got the database to work, but every page besides the home page results in an internal server error. The url www.rivalforums.com will take you there again. Thanks.

Top Bottom