xF IRC is here!

Largest isn't always better.. Just look at MicroSoft.

Instead of arguing and trying to derail my thread with another network.. Why not just come idle on both? Being on 2 IRCs at once isn't hard ;) I'm idle 24/7 on 8 networks.
#xenforo on freenode is empty, and I don't know who runs it.

Exactly, if nobody is there you can't get much help. :)

Exactly, and as said the Freenode channel is dead and you pointed out just now 5 people on. While we have 13 on.. So yeah, much easier to get help from #xF on our network :D Glad your seeing and agreeing to it now ;)

Exactly, and as said the Freenode channel is dead and you pointed out just now 5 people on. While we have 13 on.. So yeah, much easier to get help from #xF on our network :D Glad your seeing and agreeing to it now ;)
All I pointed was that there is already an IRC channel that was never used by users one, because is probably not known by many and second, because most people will ask the questions here on forums where others can search for a solution.

All I pointed was that there is already an IRC channel that was never used by users one, because is probably not known by many and second, because most people will ask the questions here on forums where others can search for a solution.

Well people are enjoying the new channel. Several have thanked me for starting it, so good enough for me. Glad to give back to the community that at least some are enjoying.

Meh, I'm not much into the politics of this client versus that client. As far as any chat goes, whether it's IRC or some web based one I don't think it should really be used as a support platform because then that takes away from everyone else, present and future that has the same question. I myself have found several answers to questions I've had on threads that dated back two years ago. This wouldn't be possible with any form of live chat.

On the other hand, if the chat is used for purely social purposes or even developmental request type services then I'm all for that.

Meh, I'm not much into the politics of this client versus that client. As far as any chat goes, whether it's IRC or some web based one I don't think it should really be used as a support platform because then that takes away from everyone else, present and future that has the same question. I myself have found several answers to questions I've had on threads that dated back two years ago. This wouldn't be possible with any form of live chat.

On the other hand, if the chat is used for purely social purposes or even developmental request type services then I'm all for that.

Nothing will ever replace support here since the solutions to previously asked questions are available to people who have experienced the same issues plus the fact you will find it difficult to post code (when the majority of the time that is the solution) becomes difficult in chat.

I suppose the chat is good for just that, chatting and simple support where it doesn't entail post alot of code. But @Floren touched upon it and explained it nicely.

I love how trying to do something nice for the community has lead to nothing but a 4 page b1tch fest as to why we shouldn't have a unofficial irc channel.. Everything should be done on the forum here.. Yet no one b1tches about unofficial admin forums.. Don't really see the difference between the two.. Both avenues are just a place for people to socialize at.

I'm involved with two networks, and the development of a web-based client, so naturally I'm probably a bit biased. Sometimes it makes more sense to discuss / ask questions on IRC instead of email or a forum -- especially when you need a solution in a matter of minutes, or just some clarification. Logging can help save the discussions for prosperity.

I love how trying to do something nice for the community has lead to nothing but a 4 page b1tch fest as to why we shouldn't have a unofficial irc channel.. Everything should be done on the forum here.. Yet no one b1tches about unofficial admin forums.. Don't really see the difference between the two.. Both avenues are just a place for people to socialize at.
We are?

Nobody's having a b-itchfest it's just how it is Mike. People I'm sure you will agree are allowed to state the difference between support on chat and forums and how they differ.

Well, from what I read, getting support isn't really the point here. The thread is just to tell people about an unofficial irc channel to chat on - not to replace support, etc.

Well as I said before I'm all for a social community so bring it on. Still waiting on the web based client though.

Still not entirely sure why Chatango can't be used since it's simple and easy to create a chat group. I'm a moderator at http://darksoulswiki.chatango.com/ which gets 10,000 unique visits daily with around 1,000-1,500 users active at any given time and I don't really have any issues with it. You can embed it on a site or simply use it as a simple chat form by visiting the URL.

Regardless of what is decided in the end, if it's social I'll likely visit it a few times as will others.

Last edited:
You can embed it on a site or simply use it as a simple chat form by visiting the URL.

Yeah but that's exactly it.. Some people don't like to sit in a browser all day vs rather a small IRC client that runs in the back ground they can idle within 24/7 and poke a head in every once in a while.

Top Bottom