XF have the best forums bar none, but what about the other apps?

optrex

So Xenforo is on the verge of resetting itself with version 2. Its a monumental rewrite, which is fantastic. Its core - the forums - are the best around, especially when you take into account the back end management and let's be honest, XF is light years ahead of its competition here.

To progress though, there are other elements that are needed, namely the 4 that keep resurfacing are:
  • Calendar
  • Storefront
  • CMS
  • Classifieds
The issue for me is that these are currently covered by customer add-ons that require a complete rewrite to work. And the main sticking point is that some are better supported than others. But for anyone who's has an established XF forum with these sorts of additional requirements, the drive to be on the latest platform is being held up by slow or non existent third party development.

So isn't it about time XF looked to expand its suite of products? Not everything, granted, but perhaps some of the features that keep on being requested?

The one thing I like about xenfro is it's just that a forum software with a couple official add-ons which gives developers more time to focus on the main components rather than tons of official add-ons I look at how IPS has gone down hill with their software add-ons and their costs for their add-ons upfront I'd rtaher have a few official add-ons and have them supported the best than have more official add-ons and see them tank

The one thing I like about xenfro is it's just that a forum software with a couple official add-ons which gives developers more time to focus on the main components rather than tons of official add-ons I look at how IPS has gone down hill with their software add-ons and their costs for their add-ons upfront I'd rtaher have a few official add-ons and have them supported the best than have more official add-ons and see them tank

Therein lies the problem. I've had to switch to the inferior product to ensure continuity and support inline with the oranisation the website supports. Ironically, the site members love it and much prefer it, but as an admin I hate the back-end limitations I have.

The switch was enforced due to a third party developer refusing to answer any questions whatsoever from anyone with regards to moving to XF2. At the end of the day we have sites that we need to maintain and poor or no response from a key third party product developer has meant 3 licences have switched to another platform.

I'm sure I can't be the only one.

You have to rember xf2 isn't even gold yet many developers are working in converting their add-ons but it's a TOTAL rewrite not just a few changes everything has to be redone so it's going to take time I made the decision to not use many addons as I wanted to use xf2 for the site seeing we aren't that popular yet so it didn't really matter yet

I have to admit it would be nice if Xenforo 2 had a built in CMS but to be honest it's not really needed considering all the developers out there making CMS add-ons. Though I would love to see it happen. The other things you listed don't really seem as important or really the direction I see Xenforo ever going in. Though a calender is conventional as vBulletin has taken this approach, I can't really see Xenforo using one.

One thing I've always liked about XF is how it caters to the members core functionality. Some people find calenders useful but I can't see a ton of people being super excited if lets say one day XF released a calender. I don't see much hype in this.

Anyways like I said a CMS would be a good addition.

Top Bottom