XF English String

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moshe1010

For some reason my thread was closed, probably due to misunderstanding.

Let's start with a background:
1. I don't have XF license (yet)
2. I would like to purchase one, but there hasn't any translation avaliable yet in my language (Hebrew)
3. Therefore, I asked that:
I would like to translate XF from English to Hebrew, but I can't find the original English string. Could you be kind enough to show me where I can find it?

In addition, is there a website/system for translations? I couldn't find that either. I used crowdin.net to translate Tapatalk 2, and it was very convenient in terms of editing/fixing others' translations/adding new strings/ etc`.

Anyway, I can work with the original XML file, just need the original English file.

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

The original language file is available to export in XF AdminCP. Once you have XF installed, you can create a new language and edit phrases directly in AdminCP, but also can export languages to XML to edit them more conveniently.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

The original language file is available to export in XF AdminCP. Once you have XF installed, you can create a new language and edit phrases directly in AdminCP, but also can export languages to XML to edit them more conveniently.

Hope that helps.

What is the point of having the language file only after you purchase a license for the system? People like me are offering to translate the system for free, so the people that are using the smae language as me would have the ability to purchase XF systems in the future. I can't use the forum in English since my entire system is aimed to people who read and write Hebrew.

In your opinion.

You will need a license to use the translation so what does it matter that you must purchase the license first?

In your opinion.

You will need a license to use the translation so what does it matter that you must purchase the license first?

It matters, because I have no idea how many strings are out there in the original English file. How much time it would take me to translate everything, and if I would really want to do it by myself/at all. There is no sense of buying a license for a system I won't be able to use several weeks/months, until the translation is not finished. There is no sense not publishing the English XML string so people can work on the translations and then buy a license for a system that they can actually use. Sure, I can't/want to use the translation file without a license. As I mentioned, I don't even have the system to use/test it, but I can translate it without the use of an actual XF system installed.

Where else can I use the translation file that was created for XF? In VB? IPB? That wouldn't work, and it doesn't make any sense.

What is the point of having the language file only after you purchase a license for the system?
The point is that your language pack would be garbage without digging through XenForo for context. Trust me, I know what I'm saying. I am sitting at my own translation for 3 months now and I do translation work with Firebug to see if the translations would fit in the area and if they make sense and are consistent with other things.

The point is that your language pack would be garbage without digging through XenForo for context. Trust me, I know what I'm saying. I am sitting at my own translation for 3 months now and I do translation work with Firebug to see if the translations would fit in the area and if they make sense and are consistent with other things.

What function do you use in Firebug in order to find the actual context of the phrase?

You don't. You look at the English version of the text, use Firebug (or Chrome's Inspect Element feature like I do) to swap the English version with your own version, and see if they make sense.

But how do you know where to find the English phrase in the English version?
Let's say I have a word "status" in adminCP phrases, then how do I know where the "status" phrase is in the English version?

But how do you know where to find the English phrase in the English version?
Let's say I have a word "status" in adminCP phrases, then how do I know where the "status" phrase is in the English version?

You look at the template in the AdminCP to see how the phrase is used. There's a handy feature that allows you to search in templates, so you can just search {xen;phrase things_and_such} and find all uses of that phrase.

(replace ; with : )

You look at the template in the AdminCP to see how the phrase is used. There's a handy feature that allows you to search in templates, so you can just search {xen;phrase things_and_such} and find all uses of that phrase.

(replace ; with : )

Then why do you need the "Inspect Element feature"?
Is there a way to translate the other way? I saw many phrases in AdminCP that I couldn't find in the actual system, but they are probably out there.

Then why do you need the "Inspect Element feature"?
Is there a way to translate the other way? I saw many phrases in AdminCP that I couldn't find in the actual system, but they are probably out there.

The Inspect Elements feature in Chrome allows you to modify HTML in real time. Think of it as a preview tool to double check that your translation makes sense.

The Phrase system is available under the Appearance Tab in the AdminCP.

I should mention that there are a lot of phrases that can't be found in templates because they are in xenforo's core files and some of them aren't even used anymore. Dealing with them requires patience and coffee :coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom