1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF Addons

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Disciple of Nagash, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Disciple of Nagash

Disciple of Nagash Active Member

Hi,

I am looking at coming from MyBB. My forum is heavily customised (www.vampirecounts.net) and I have been checking out the addons here which seem very extensive. However there are a couple that I have not managed to find an equivalent here, and I just wanted to ask and see if they existed:

• Abbreviations - Allows Admin to specify abbreviations and description in ACP (example: DoN = Disciple of Nagash). If an abbreviation is used in a post in the forum it changes style and upon mouseover the description shows - very handy for new users.
    • RSS Feed - Can input an RSS feed into the ACP and it will generate a thread in a specified forum on new posts. Currently used as a news forum.

There are probably some more, but those are the ones I can't find if anyone can confirm if they do or don't exist.

(I was going to ask in the addon forum but I don't have access yet).

Many thanks

DoN

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The RSS feed is default functionality.

I don't believe I have seen an add-on which caters for the abbreviations though.

3. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

I don't think that exists. But it's a good idea.
    For the time being, you could use
    [​IMG]
    source - http://xenforo.com/community/threads/keyword-replace-by-waindigo.30749/

But your shortform would be expanded to the full word.

Donate a bit of $$ to Waindigo and he might add what you want.

4. Digital Doctor

I like how your site does it.
    upload_2013-10-23_9-59-40.png
    Should be easy to code something like that.

Disciple of Nagash likes this.
  5. Disciple of Nagash

Cheers for the info - I would be willing to pay towards it as an addon, it is one of the features of my site which is well liked.

6. Disciple of Nagash

@Digital Doctor - I've just seen the addon you tagged me in, sorry I currently don't have permissions to post there. However I would very interested to see what the overlay option does, as that could be ideal.

Many thanks for all your help.

7. Digital Doctor

Cool :)

8. Digital Doctor

Got it to work.
    upload_2013-10-23_20-37-56.png
    upload_2013-10-23_20-39-48.png

use HTML

9. Disciple of Nagash

That is fantastic :)

If you don't mind there are a couple of more functions on my site which I have not been able to find in the addons:

• Random quote generator. At the top we have a section which randomly displays quotes upon refresh - these quotes are manually put into a file in the directory. I am not such much bothered about it being at the top, in the side bar would be great (ideally with an option for the user to hide).
    • Glow around user profile when online. At the moment if someone is online, their avatar in the postbit has a red glow around, dark if offline and I think blue if away.

Are there any addons like those two?

Thanks again for any help.

10. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

There are a couple of random quote add-ons in the RM.

There is (was?) also an online/offline add-on.

11. Disciple of Nagash

Cheers - I'll see if I can find them

12. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

13. Disciple of Nagash

Ok, found a great random quote generator:
    http://xenforo.com/community/resources/xenquotation.180/
    So much better than my current one, being able to convert posts to quotes :)

@Shelley - yes I did find that one, I was hoping there was one similar to mine that put a glow around the avatar rather than the ribbon underneath.

I see you also do a lot smileys - don't suppose you have a vampire / gothicky ones for a Vampire Counts forum?

14. Shelley

I haven't looked at that add-on but there might be a way of adapting it so you can change it from ribbons and replacing that with the specific glow around the avatar either via an image or box-shadowing. I haven't checked out the add-on so not entirely 100% sure if it can be adapted but worth trying on the off-chance it can be customized. I actually think it may be possible.

Vampire smilies - Only vampire type smiley I've designed was 1 for the xenforo extended pack. Not sure zombies count as gothicky? But I design zombie smilies that might appeal to your forum which I designed, not sure that is the gothicky feel your looking for though.

Screenshot_43.png zombie preview.png

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  15. Disciple of Nagash

Yes I found the zombie smileys, will be using some of those. Is there perhaps anywhere I can get some custom smileys made?

16. Shelley

17. Digital Doctor

:)

digital.doctor.at.your.service.jpg

psTubble27 and Claudio like this.
  18. Disciple of Nagash

@Digital Doctor

Sorry to bother you, but I was hoping you could help me with something.

On my site the text is for certain keywords is highlighted in blue, with a dotted underline. Using the info you provided I have figured out how to do the colour (color="#.....") but I can't seem to find how to do the dotted underline? Would appreciate any help? Cheers

19. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

CSS:
    Code:
    border-bottom: 1px dotted #ffffff;
    Or if you want it like the signature line:
    Code:
    border-bottom: 1px dashed #ffffff;

20. Trace

Trace Member

You can also use
    HTML:
    <abbr title="Disciple of Blablabla">DoB</abbr>

Disciple of Nagash and Liam W like this.