XF 2.3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question: Does XenForo install new versions on its official forum before or after HYS?!

I have been a customer since version 2 of XenForo and I haven't seen or experienced the update from XF1 to XF2 on the official forum.

It's been after, as far back as I can remember. The new features are announced, then the forum is tested here in public so we can help work some of the bugs out. Developers can also work with beta versions to prepare their add-ons or themes for the eventual release.

If it’s after why HYS? How can you have seen ( the feature) if it hasn’t been public?
You see the feature in the have you seen forum.

“Have you seen… these new features that are coming soon?”.

It also works in the context of people new to the software who may not be aware of all features.

“Have you seen… these features the software has?”

That will be really awesome.
Am I misunderstanding what a portal is is? It is quite easy now to make what I call a portal by using a page and widgets:

Starting with XF 2.2 you can very easily create your own portal using article forums

OTOH, obviously any improvements or simplifications to that ability are welcome and I think we can all hope that 2.3 does come with some improvements across the board. Including widgets.

Last edited:
I think of portal asa home p[ahge with maybe has some "about" text but importantly has some teasers and calls to action regarding the main site. Also some feeds maybe from relevant social media and news but not necessarily.

So I have exactly that:

• Blurb
  • Quicklinks
  • Featured articles = xf sesech forum plus enhanced sf widget)
  • Latest threads, posts, popular posts all just xf widgets
( https://cafesaxophone.com/ )

I sometimes have a twitter feed but haven't used it lately.

Yeah I mean, define portal exactly and there may be functionality already to do that. People keep asking for one and in my view it’s already there.

Today I use Xenporta 2 and it does the job fairly well. Having anything as first party developed is always an advantage though.

For me, a "portal" would mean being able to easily make a good looking page with various content displayed at right locations. Usually its primary purpose is to serve as the front end of your website. Having important content served at the right place in a good manner, with extra content placed at sidebars, bottom of page etc.

So things like:
  • Easy to use and good user interface. (I have to admit Invision does this very well with its drag and drop blocks and live preview features.)
  • Some more unique widgets like:
    • Feature slider for important content.
    • Various layouts to present the "main content" (often news). Grids, horizontal rows with images and some other customizing settings..
    • Social media. So f.ex show latest facebook posts from your page or similar.
    • Trending content and similar that may engage users when they land on your site.
So even though you can find certain widgets from 3rd party (like social widgets) and place them in certain places, the underlying easy to use first party developed system is not there.

Today I use Xenporta 2 and it does the job fairly well. Having anything as first party developed is always an advantage though.

For me, a "portal" would mean being able to easily make a good looking page with various content displayed at right locations. Usually its primary purpose is to serve as the front end of your website. Having important content served at the right place in a good manner, with extra content placed at sidebars, bottom of page etc.

So things like:
  • Easy to use and good user interface. (I have to admit Invision does this very well with its drag and drop blocks and live preview features.)
  • Some more unique widgets like:
    • Feature slider for important content.
    • Various layouts to present the "main content" (often news). Grids, horizontal rows with images and some other customizing settings..
    • Social media. So f.ex show latest facebook posts from your page or similar.
    • Trending content and similar that may engage users when they land on your site.
So even though you can find certain widgets from 3rd party (like social widgets) and place them in certain places, the underlying easy to use first party developed system is not there.

I use @ThemeHouse Featured Threads with small modifications, and does good job. However, I would agree, better to have something integrated within XenForo.

To me a portal is an 'add-on'. The main software is forum software. Anything else is just extra. But that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom