XF 2.3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have my main cassette deck from back in the 80s--still works, too. (Harman/Kardon CD301.) Most of my tapes were expendable (made myself), but some are rare and I have not yet had the opportunity to digitize them as a backup.

The cost of new old stock blank cassettes today is mind boggling...
Have you needed to change the belts yet? Rubber tends to degrade a lot over this timescale.

Have you needed to change the belts yet? Rubber tends to degrade a lot over this timescale.
I only fire it up every few years, but the last time I used it, it still ran fine on its original belts. The only thing that was off was the tape counter--that was lagging a bit. If I put it back into regular service, I'd send it out to a shop that I trust to go over it.

Reactions: FTL
I only fire it up every few years, but the last time I used it, it still ran fine on its original belts. The only thing that was off was the tape counter--that was lagging a bit. If I put it back into regular service, I'd send it out to a shop that I trust to go over it.
That sounds like a good plan. I had a Denon DR-M33HX (3 head) from 1986 that sounded great and could really make the most of metal tapes - it lived up to the hype, basically. It even made crap ferric tapes sound good, within limits.

As I hadn't used it for years since it was obsolete, I eventually gave it away to charity a few years ago, but I still miss it so perhaps I shouldn't have. I chucked all my cassettes too, except for one, a TDK MA-R C90, because its such an awesomely built cassette that I simply want to collect even though I can no longer play it.

The thing that really bugged me about the Denon though were the perennial azimuth errors that spoiled the sound, so I don't miss the end of that at all. I actually got the nut driver adjustment tool for this and still have it to this day. Thing is, there wasn't one setting that was good for all cassettes (azimuth error even on tape monitoring would you believe that had to be adjusted out) and I suspect that the deck may have had a subtle fault from new that caused this.

By the time I gave it away, the head was quite worn and the belts were starting to degrade so the mechanism had begun to struggle.

The thing that really bugged me about the Denon though were the perennial azimuth errors that spoiled the sound, so I don't miss the end of that at all.
I rarely bought pre-recorded tapes, but anything recorded on this deck still sounds good. But going from the deck to a car player or portable really wreaked havoc with the sound--no matter which car player I owned, I'd have to pull it out of the dash and adjust azimuth a couple of times per year, at times wedging a matchbook beneath the cassette to get it back in line until I could adjust it. Cementing the screw in place never helped either.

The one deck that self-corrected the azimuth, the Nakamichi Dragon, was legendary in working well, but was similarly legendary in being a bit temperamental and needing repair as they got older. (Their decks were normally rock solid.) They briefly had an in-dash Dragon for the car (with the price well over $1,000 in early 1980s dollars). The other Dragon model was the Dragon CT, a turntable that had a self-centering spindle to correct for off-center records. Those are hard to come by today also.

Reactions: FTL
mr. Brogan please, give is a hint,

resource needs to create thread on forum for discussion, any plans to change the structure of it?

I am going to upload 60 TB files on another clean server, after use each file link as external url in each resource

just want to make sure any upcoming updates won't cause any hustle

Destroyer Rage GIF by A1 eSports

Just seen in the resolved bugs section 2.2.9

1642606000107.webp

I am wondering: XF2 was a rewrite of the code that would enable faster development and faster releases. Yet, we are seeing slower releases instead. Was this aspect of the new code base not so much faster and easier to develop upon?
One of the staff mentioned that they had other projects in the works, like revamping the main XF site and as we saw, XF hosting also came along since 2.2 was released. So I get that 2.3 might take a little extra baking in the oven before it's ready. No relation to 2.x architecture, in other words.

I really hope that 2.3 will not be released for another 2 or 3 years.
Since ThemeHouse has said goodbye and we were so stupid and used ReactPlus and integrated it really deeply in different forums, we will probably have a big problem.
In the worst case, users will lose thousands of likes and all the work with customisation that this addon has brought us will be invalidated.

Thanks at this point to ThemeHouse. This is the second time we have fallen for a big programmer. The thought that it is more safe with the big ones is apparently a fallacy.

I'm not too pleased with abandoned/discontinued addons either, but that is par for the course since XF 1.0 first started featuring addons. And I can say that abandoned/discontinued addons were much more prevalent for us in 1.x than they've been in 2.x. In that case, some developers were well-intentioned but a bit wet behind the ears, and some of them apparently evaporated from the face of the earth.

And as you know, it's a hard adjustment when support disappears, and a new forum version comes along that breaks the addon that was deeply entrenched into the forum.

I've minimized my addons now to just a handful of long-established developers and where something has been discontinued, I've found replacements for most, and the remaining one or two I can probably modify the template modifications myself so they continue to work until another developer creates a replacement. I've long held off on a 2.2 upgrade since there is still fallout from a few such addons and developer issues, but I'm getting things in order to just launch as-is and be done with it.

I am still using a theme that is on shaky ground for this upgrade, but am going to have a replacement waiting in the wings for when they eventually pull the plug (which they will at some point in the near future I'm sure). My goal now is to launch with what I have currently, and make adjustments as things happen.

Even though this thread just went back on topic, it seemed like it was turning into our BS thread.

Do we have an actual BS thread here?

Until then, I just noticed a forum user with over 1 million legitimate posts. This is the most I've ever seen. @Brogan needs to step up his game.

1642710928434.webp

I'm waiting every day for the presentation threads of XenForo 2.3.

But nothing comes. SIMPLY NOTHING COMES! I'm totally curious what comes, especially then I want to start to make my plugins for the WSC fit for the XenForo, but IT COMES SIMPLY NO ANNOUNCEMENT!..

XenForo should be ashamed here to let us flounder so long! But it will be great for sure!

As the OP can I just say "why fix what's not broken?"

XF 2.3? was posted in jest and has been taken that way by many, however a few have taken it all too seriously.
XenForo is by far the best forum software I have come across and tbh it must be nigh on impossible to improve on sufficiently to build a new release.
Sure it's got a few bugs, what software hasn't, even more so when there are numerous browsers, devices, and OS's out there to use it on, somewhere there is bound to be some incompatibility to be found.

So enough of my dribble and brown-nosing to the developers, XF2.3 will be ready when it's ready, next week, next month, next year even, there's no rush, take your time, do I qualify for free licence renewal now ;) :D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom