XF 2.3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
to be honest this is starting to feel like the vBulletin end times.

As someone who stayed on VB for far longer than necessary before moving to XF 18 months ago, I’m not keen on repeating the same situation.

It would be nice to have some idea of what is happening in 2.3 and beyond so I can base business decisions on that.

Otherwise, I’ll have to assume the software is stagnant and move to something that is not.

I don’t want to have to, I like XF, a lot. But there comes a point where you really have to seriously consider the alternatives.

to be honest this is starting to feel like the vBulletin end times.

As someone who stayed on VB for far longer than necessary before moving to XF 18 months ago, I’m not keen on repeating the same situation.

It would be nice to have some idea of what is happening in 2.3 and beyond so I can base business decisions on that.

Otherwise, I’ll have to assume the software is stagnant and move to something that is not.

I don’t want to have to, I like XF, a lot. But there comes a point where you really have to seriously consider the alternatives.
Calm down, let’s wait and see what happens with the next update. Yes things are quiet - but it’s not vB status. Also… why are you so eager for next update? I for one do not want a ton of custom edits breaking on my current site… so I’m in no rush as we are happy anyhow with the current version. Is it unacceptable how long things have taken tho? Yes.

Well, with the current input from XF developers... and the LOOOOONG time between x.Y.z releases... you can easily see that most of the competitor scripts are advancing WELL beyond what XenForo has been able to present. It's almost like they are sitting on their thumb , spinning around, and "basing" around and relying on the third party developers to "save" them. Honestly.. after two years.. XF is going to have to REALLY up their game to compete... they simply are lagging behind the other major paid scripts with their reliance on third parties that may (or may not) be aroudn for any noticeable amount of time.

Some of you in here need to learn to grow some patience.
I think two years for a major release and not throwing a pookie storm is a pretty good indicator of folks "having patience".... you see, some of us actually have been using the script for WELL over a decade... and yes, we are somewhat "positive" to the developers... but they are currently squashing that positivity into the "mud" that makes "old tech" basic bricks and not "new technology".

Yeah... after two years... lets' wait another year or two. :ROFLMAO:
The simple fact is.. you don't have to immediately upgrade.. you can wait until the third party providers (upon which XF is SO dependent) update.
I agree the wait time is unacceptable haha

The "two years" was mentioned multiple times and I want to correct that.

As shown earlier, we already passed the 3 year mark 4 days ago. And in 7 weeks we have the 3 year anniversary for the 2.2 beta release.

So it is correct to say "three years" instead of "two".

We have been waiting for 3 years now, not 2.

1685966345970.webp

Some of you in here need to learn to grow some patience.

When are we allowed to start being impatient? 3 years, 5 years, 10?

why are you so eager for next update? I for one do not want a ton of custom edits breaking on my current site…

I'm not so eager to have 2.3 drop - just to know what it is I'm actually waiting for. I know I'm not entitled to that, but I have to base decisions for my business on the information available, and at the moment with regards to the future of XF, that is no information.

The "two years" was mentioned multiple times and I want to correct that.
I think the point is... 2-3 years for a x.Y.z release is actually "maximally stupid" for the developers when compared to what their competitors are offering. It seems to indicate major issues with the core development processes and calls into concern the ability of the developers to advance the script (without a high dependence on 3rd party developers) when compared to their competitors) on their own..

Personally, it would be easier for me to wait if there was some kind of roadmap with the featuers that will appear in 2.3 (even listed in buzzwords, without details). Now I have to make some decisions about the development of certain features and I don't know if it's worth waiting because 2.3 will introduce some new basis for this, because if it does, I don't want to rewrite the addon from scratch.

Regardless I'm not going anywhere. I have indispensable third party add-ons and completely custom and unique features on my site. XF is where I planted my flag.

Personally I love the product and I'm looking forward to the new version. I just sometimes feel like a kid who keeps getting told Christmas got delayed. 🤣

I can see how many people are frustrated by the long development delay, am one of them and wonder why it's gone like this. In particular, the 2.2.13 update didn't feel like much, just some bugs fixed, which is important, but hardly major and wonder why it took 6 months to fix them. Expectations for 2.3 are now much higher after all this time, so let's hope we're not left disappointed.

Fortunately for me, my forum requirements are pretty simple, although I do have some add-ons installed, and it continues to work smoothly in the meantime, which helps greatly with this wait.

Regardless I'm not going anywhere. I have indispensable third party add-ons and completely custom and unique features on my site. XF is where I planted my flag.

Personally I love the product and I'm looking forward to the new version. I just sometimes feel like a kid who keeps getting told Christmas got delayed. 🤣
Basically where I am at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom