XF 2.3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
XenForo (and other applications) aren’t going to base minimum PHP requirements on what’s EOL and what isn’t. It’s going to be based on marketshare. PHP 8.x doesn’t have a big enough markershare yet. XenForo isn’t trying to put themselves out of business by massively limiting who can even technically run their software. About 12% of web servers support PHP 8.x so far: https://iolabs.io/stats/php/

I'm glad XenForo at least requires 7.x... Meanwhile the latest version of WordPress will run on PHP 5.6.20 (released in March, 2016).

Last edited:
I know that. But the simple thing is to upgrade when the next version is on

For folks who don't mind throwing money away, sure. I prefer to pay for something of value. If I'm not getting anything in return, I'm not going to keep paying. If/when the time comes that I'm going to get value for my money, then I'll upgrade. Until then, I'll save my money.

One of my licenses expired August 2022. There is only one update since then, 2.2.12 released in December. That site didn't need any of the updates in 2.2.12 so why would I pay to extend that license? I don't need to. I've saved 8 myself from paying for, and wasting, 8 months worth of something I won't use. I probably won't extend this one until 2.3 is released, and that's only if it has something I need/want for that particular site.

The other expired February 2023. Nothing has happened since then so, as of now, I've saved 2 months worth of my money that, had I extended, would have been basically wasted. This one will probably be extended once 2.2.13 is released, but only depending on what's in it and whether or not I think that site needs what's in it. Otherwise, I'll save my money a little longer.

For folks who don't mind throwing money away, sure. I prefer to pay for something of value. If I'm not getting anything in return, I'm not going to keep paying. If/when the time comes that I'm going to get value for my money, then I'll upgrade. Until then, I'll save my money.

One of my licenses expired August 2022. There is only one update since then, 2.2.12 released in December. That site didn't need any of the updates in 2.2.12 so why would I pay to extend that license? I don't need to. I've saved 8 myself from paying for, and wasting, 8 months worth of something I won't use. I probably won't extend this one until 2.3 is released, and that's only if it has something I need/want for that particular site.

The other expired February 2023. Nothing has happened since then so, as of now, I've saved 2 months worth of my money that, had I extended, would have been basically wasted. This one will probably be extended once 2.2.13 is released, but only depending on what's in it and whether or not I think that site needs what's in it. Otherwise, I'll save my money a little longer.
that's interesting...

life fail GIF

XenForo (and other applications) aren’t going to base minimum PHP requirements on what’s EOL and what isn’t. It’s going to be based on marketshare. PHP 8.x doesn’t have a big enough markershare yet. XenForo isn’t trying to put themselves out of business by massively limiting who can even technically run their software. About 12% of web servers support PHP 8.x so far: https://iolabs.io/stats/php/

I'm glad XenForo at least requires 7.x... Meanwhile the latest version of WordPress will run on PHP 5.6.20 (released in March, 2016).
We track stats amongst our installed customer base (self hosted) and luckily it’s a brighter picture with 25% using PHP 8.0 to 8.2.

But still not time to turn our backs on the other 75% for what I should hope are obvious reasons to most.

We track stats amongst our installed customer base (self hosted) and luckily it’s a brighter picture with 25% using PHP 8.0 to 8.2.

But still not time to turn our backs on the other 75% for what I should hope are obvious reasons to most.
Ya makes sense… XenForo licensees are going to be more technical than your average website/WordPress user. But even with a PHP 8.X uptake rate twice the average, it’s not enough to up the minimum requirements.

Wait, why am I arguing something that you agree with? 😂

That's what I found with most hosting packages, all old versions of PHP with no option of running the latest version, so no wonder so many sites are running on 7x. Same with the database. That was one of the major reasons that I rolled my own hosting on AWS.

That's what I found with most hosting packages, all old versions of PHP with no option of running the latest version, so no wonder so many sites are running on 7x. Same with the database. That was one of the major reasons that I rolled my own hosting on AWS.
I'm with namecheap. They're pretty good.

Meanwhile the sites I look after at work are all on 8.x because the hosting provider made me update everything recently. WordPress is not quite as compatible with 8.x as they'd have you believe, and plugins definitely aren't.

Which is a nightmare given how much stricter 8.0 is vs 7.x

I understand your reasoning, but it is very disappointing that only 25% are on 8.x with 7.x already being end of life and with no active support or even security fixes.

Reactions: FTL
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom