XF 2.3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhat of a misnomer, though certainly reasonable. This was our presumption too.

Many Cloud customers, in fact, are perfectly capable of the server and technical stuff. They just don't want to do it anymore. Gives them the capacity to focus on other things such as launching other communities or building the community they already have.

And time is undervalued in this context. "Time is money" etc.

The increased cost should be somewhat offset by the time saved.

There is that, most of the communities I own or work with can't work on cloud so I don't consider that an option usually.
For many hobbyists, cloud would be a significantly increased cost though. That isn't to say that cloud serving is bad or overpriced.. Just how it is.
At least If you have enough with shared hosting, which can cost you like 20-80 ish usd per year. (depending on if you want the cheapest or ones with a bit more features/speed). Yes you get XF license and some other minor stuff, but still it's far from 650 usd.
But yes, if you can budget it and want to save some time/hazzle, go for it, it's no doubt a good package.
Shared hosting isn't comparable. Cloud hosting in regard to performance is closer to cloud VPS packages, at the very least.

Weird. You all talking about mad prices, but I bet most of your forums are not hitting even 100k forum posts.

I check @Tracy Perry pretty much baby forum, @Forsaken is not even started to grow (not sure how much you spend, but not my business). We are all hobbyist here, and don't think everyone can afford to spend money on a cloud which does the same as my own hosting company. You just paying more money to do exactly the same that your hosting can do. Unless you are really big forum and don't want to focus on Server maintenance.

Even If I would have money, I would probably try to keep my expenses down due to price rising everywhere. I would rather save and invest in something valuable that can be classed as non tangible asset, like building a community brand.

Personally it cost me around £300 to host 6 websites, 3 forums and 3 personal websites. I see no need for me to upgrade, my forums are running without my attention to check or login to my hosting panel.

Personally it cost me around £300 to host 6 websites, 3 forums and 3 personal websites. I see no need for me to upgrade, my forums are running without my attention to check or login to my hosting panel.
Good for you. That's great. Keep it up.

Everyone is different and has different priorities.

Can't? Sounds like a challenge.

Requires specific PHP configuration (can't even upgrade to PHP8.1/2 yet because of this), and there are a number of hosted sites and services that have specific requirements as well, including some custom docker containers.

I also do not have to pay for any of my servers :LOL:.

Weird. You all talking about mad prices, but I bet most of your forums are not hitting even 100k forum posts.

I check @Tracy Perry pretty much baby forum, @Forsaken is not even started to grow (not sure how much you spend, but not my business). We are all hobbyist here, and don't think everyone can afford to spend money on a cloud which does the same as my own hosting company. You just paying more money to do exactly the same that your hosting can do. Unless you are really big forum and don't want to focus on Server maintenance.

Even If I would have money, I would probably try to keep my expenses down due to price rising everywhere. I would rather save and invest in something valuable that can be classed as non tangible asset, like building a community brand.

What is my community? What communities do I work with? Do you know what metric my smallest community uses for me to measure success? Do you know the stats of any of the communities you apparently know of?

You are probably confused by a comment I made about a community I haven't launched yet; in which case you need to work on your reading comprehension.

Last edited:
size is not important... whether one gets 100's of posts a day, thousands of posts a day or tens of post a day... the work on the back end, the cost of the script and the hardware to support the equivalent functions were given to you. Those are EASILY confirmable. The ONLY variable is the value of your time. If your time isn't worth anything, then I'll gladly hire you to do some maintenance around the house for me. ;)
I'm comparing apples/apples cost... not apples to grapes.

my forums are running without my attention to check or login to my hosting panel.

Oh, and if you aren't doing regular updates on your VPS/dedicated server (I will assume that is what you are using) then your IT rate for services based upon knowledge would be worth about minimum wage.

size is not important... whether one gets 100's of posts a day, thousands of posts a day or tens of post a day... the work on the back end, the cost of the script and the hardware to support the equivalent functions were given to you. Those are EASILY confirmable. The ONLY variable is the value of your time. If your time isn't worth anything, then I'll gladly hire you to do some maintenance around the house for me. ;)
I'm comparing apples/apples cost... not apples to grapes.
I can see how your time is valuable here mate, posting every single second on here or TAZ. ;) I’m sure your time very valuable.

I always focus on my communities rather than hosting,

I can see how your time is valuable here mate, posting every single second on here or TAZ. ;) I’m sure your time very valuable.

I always focus on my communities rather than hosting,
Point remains... ones time is money... right now I'm at a client waiting upon a VMWare upgrade to complete... and typing here does not detract from what I'm doing since it is on my phone.... not to mention I don't feel comfortable accessing my site (or others) via their network. When working at a remote client, THEY get all the time that I charge for when it comes to paid client work, but in the slow period I still can do other things of a personal nature utilizing personal equipment I have with me.
So yes, if I was at home doing maintenance on my sites, I'd not be sitting here at $150 an hour (at 2 hours on site currently) enjoying myself at the client (they have a Jura coffee maker that does fantastic coffee).
When I'm at home, I can do multiple things.... you see, I'm able to chew gum and walk AND talk at the same time. So, even if I am doing something else via remote access AND getting paid for it, any time working on my sites also still has value, since I can engage multiple remote clients at one time (and I consider myself a client also).
Guess what, when I was running my IT forensics service, I didn't restrict myself on one computer at a time... there were times I had upwards of 10 computers back in the lab being processed via EnCase... and guess what else, I got paid for each of them individually... not in a bulk quantity price. The slow down was at time of compiling the reports for them and putting the data that they wanted together.... you could only do that one at a time reliably.

BTW, I only average about 5 hours sleep a day so I have LOTS of time to do stuff in that other 19 hours and am officially retired... but I still do side jobs for play money.
And your "instead of my hosting" comment is the perfect argument for why people DO choose to use cloud/SaaS. I'm sure, if your site is running on anything other than shared hosting where others do the patching/updating, with that attitude it has vulnerabilities present at your OS level.

Last edited:
Joyful Noise Peace GIF by Joyful Noise Recordings

BTW, I only average about 5 hours sleep a day so I have LOTS of time to do stuff in that other 19 hours.

I'm not interested in anything you troll on here pall, don't waste my time. Post something valuable here. I would recommend to focus on your community rather than looking at others.
(at 2 hours on site currently) enjoying myself at the client (they have a Jura coffee maker that does fantastic coffee).

No interested, you can share that on Facebook, we talk here valuable stuff.

When I'm at home, I can do multiple things.... you see, I'm able to chew gum and walk AND talk at the same time.

Again, not interested what you are doing with your chewing gum.

Made some statistics from your posts:

99% troll 1% value.

Post something valuable here. I would recommend to focus on your community rather than looking at others.
Oh, I do... well more than you on posting value here looking at posting history. ;)
we talk here valuable stuff.
sure we do... remind me... what area is this in? Could it actually be OFF TOPIC?
Hmmm... wonder what that phrase means.

Seems you have gotten a little hot under the collar... some of that striking a little to close to home?

The FACT still remains... time invested on servicing the back end of a server has value... one's value is what you place it at... so you apparently either ignore any necessary back end work (by your indication, which is pitiful), or value your time minimally. Others of use utilize a more realistic outlook.

Have a great day... you join the other 4 on the ignore list.

Oh, I do... well more than you on posting value here looking at posting history. ;)

sure we do... remind me... what area is this in? Could it actually be OFF TOPIC?
Hmmm... wonder what that phrase means.

Seems you have gotten a little hot under the collar... some of that striking a little to close to home?

The FACT still remains... time invested on servicing the back end of a server has value... one's value is what you place it at... so you apparently either ignore any necessary back end work (by your indication, which is pitiful), or value your time minimally. Others of use utilize a more realistic outlook.

Have a great day... you join the other 4 on the ignore list.

When truth hurts, or you don’t share ideas with others, your end result is ingore list. Gotcha what person are you… Hopefully to see some valuable content from you either here or TAZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom