XF 2.3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, 2.2.12 is a nice update with very welcome visitor privacy improvements and 60+ bug fixes. There is still one week left to post a HYS or beta for 2.3 as well.

At least give us an idea of the sort of features that we can expect in XF 2.3. Anyone with a license is a customer of this company and it is time that we were told what we can expect of this software in the future. The delays and the silence regarding specifics is starting to irritate me.

They don’t normally announce them until they are ready, they tend to do a series of Have You Seen threads once the features are in place.

I'm aware of that. I'm simply complaining that as license holders (and some of us business owners using the XF platform) it's about time they started spilling the beans so we are aware of the future direction of this software.

I'm aware of that. I'm simply complaining that as license holders (and some of us business owners using the XF platform) it's about time they started spilling the beans so we are aware of the future direction of this software.
Really... after over a DECADE of them not doing so, you think they will change their outlook in mid-stream?
What I have MORE of a concern with is their laxity in commenting/responding in the suggestions area on suggestions that have been open for *and have many upvote for) that said decade.
I purchased XF KNOWING that they don't give a roadmap.

Really... after over a DECADE of them not doing so, you think they will change their outlook in mid-stream?
What I have MORE of a concern with is their laxity in commenting/responding in the suggestions area on suggestions that have been open for that said decade.
I purchased XF KNOWING that they don't give a roadmap.

I'm not asking for a roadmap. I'm asking for common courtesy (i.e. you can expect these new features in XF 2.3). The code is obviously well advanced by now so what does it hurt to show your customers some basic respect by keeping them informed? Contempt for the customer is probably the defining attitude of the Xenforo development team and I've been here for more than 12 years so I'm pretty familiar with the established culture here.

I'm not asking for a roadmap. I'm asking for common courtesy (i.e. you can expect these new features in XF 2.3). The code is obviously well advanced by now so what does it hurt to show your customers some basic respect by keeping them informed? Contempt for the customer is probably the defining attitude of the Xenforo development team.
Agree with all of that.

Re the bold bit, I'm not as convinced, but not overly worried at the moment, either. If we don't see anything in the next couple of months then I think things will start look less certain.

And we know exactly what happens when the team say feature x, y or z will be coming in the next release …

When are we getting x? When will y be out? We really need z, how long before it’s released? Our whole business future is hinged on x and y, why aren’t they out yet?

And we know exactly what happens when the team say feature x, y or z will be coming in the next release …

When are we getting x? When will y be out? We really need z, how long before it’s released? Our whole business future is hinged on x and y, why aren’t they out yet?
No one said we expect x features within y time. It's all about communication.

Example, you know Apple releases new phone every year, and you expect this to happen new year, however you don't know what features they will have.

With XenForo is different, we have no idea what is coming, when is coming, and if is coming.

Last type, couple of months we asked, we been told "upcoming weeks".

As a customers, we got valuable software once purchased the license, after that, I don't see anything valuable to keep renewing the license(apart from small security patches) , and I'm sure, I'm not the only one.

Even if there will be only 1 feature released every year, will be fine by me, as I'll see some sort of motivation and communication. But in 2 years, I haven't seen anything "valuable".

So don’t renew. The current model actually works in the favour of us customers because XF need to release updates and features to encourage us to renew to get them; but everyone needs to understand it is a small business not a corporate giant with unlimited resources.

I’m sure the team are as keen as we are to get things released, but clearly they have not been able to meet their hoped-for target for whatever reason, but at least we do know that updates and features are coming. (y) :)

So don’t renew. The current model actually works in the favour of us customers because XF need to release updates and features to encourage us to renew to get them; but everyone needs to understand it is a small business not a corporate giant with unlimited resources.

I’m sure the team are as keen as we are to get things released, but clearly they have not been able to meet their hoped-for target for whatever reason, but at least we do know that updates and features are coming. (y) :)
The point is the lack of communication. Don't you think they should be more forthcoming, especially if things are delayed for whatever reason?

As a customers, we got valuable software once purchased the license, after that, I don't see anything valuable to keep renewing the license(apart from small security patches) , and I'm sure, I'm not the only one.
In my work capacity (IT Manager for a mid-sized private corporation), I have been paying a certain large software company maintenance in the tens of thousands of dollars on an ERP system that, until recently, did not get a feature update every year and sometimes went two without a major update (they recently changed the release cycle to annual feature releases). That's life in the world of purchase plus maintenance pricing. The maintenance payments are not just for feature releases. They include support, maintenance releases and sometimes other important things as well. So, some years, you're just paying for support and maintenance releases. Others, you get feature releases. And a $55 a year maintenance payment is pretty good given that it covers the feature releases when they come, and also covers support, the maintenance releases (which we are getting regularly) and helps keeps this site running for a fairly nominal amount.

Perhaps if I was on their cloud and paying a monthly sub that is larger than the self-hosted annual maintenance, I would be more cranky. And if you don't think you are getting value for your money, then don't pay maintenance. We've gone a couple years without it before and even now, I will sometimes let it sit until I need it to get a maintenance release rather than renewing rigidly on the date.

The point is the lack of communication. Don't you think they should be more forthcoming, especially if things are delayed for whatever reason?
Call me cynical, but poor communication is endemic in IT so I tend to live with it. For instance, the big enterprise software companies publish wonderful multiyear roadmaps but IME they are written by marketing, not dev, with the result that they are promising features that are still years away or that turn out less exciting than made out to be in the shills. I can think of cases, esp. involving a certain Seattle-based software company, where XF's tight-lipped approach would have been preferable to the marketing spew that we got.

Could the XF team be more forthcoming? Probably. But if that means the kind of overhyping and overpromising that I get from the big companies, I'll live without it, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom