Implemented XF 2.1: Limit video uploads to certain user groups

Walter

Suggestion for Xenforo 2.1: limit video uploads to certain user groups.

Reasons:
  • Video files are huge and if every user is able to upload videos on larger forum we would have to disable the feature for all users.
  • Entice users to upgrade to paid user groups
Maybe additionally limit the space per usergroup.

Last edited:
Upvote 54
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Yes please to this suggestion!

Video files can be huge and I'm sure most admins wouldn't want anyone to be able to upload these.

Assuming that video uploads is integrated with the Attachments section in the ACP (ie it's in there and you can specify the max size of a video file) then the only way to prevent anyone uploading huge video files would be to set the video file size max to something so small that it makes it useless, or to disallow many users from uploading anything at all if they want just selected members to be able to upload larger video files.

Yeah, I don't want to belabor the point, because I know I've said it before, but it boggles my mind a bit that privileges for this were for some reason deemed unnecessary for most users, despite the fact that most users - or at least a sizeable portion of them - will probably have to monetize video uploads in order to afford them. Even on small forums with minimal uploading, after users have been uploading for a year or two....

At least give people that much - then you can leave it up to the addon devs to give people further handy features on top of that, like upload limits per group, as well as notifications for users who haven't been subscribed for x-amount of time, and perhaps auto-deletion of member uploads after that expiration date (if that's possible), etc., to keep tab of and minimize use of storage for users who have just uploaded a bunch of stuff in a short period of time and then quit paying. ;)

Last edited:
Umm, if you say so. :confused:
Well, it would achieve the same thing, since videos will be uploaded as attachments, right? It would be an even better solution for us, giving us some control over all attachments, rather than just videos. It's just that it's much more important to have that control when it comes to videos, because of the sizes involved. I'm not sure which would be easier to do from a dev point, implement permissions for all file types or just certain ones, but it's definitely a must-have for the videos.

Well, it would achieve the same thing, since videos will be uploaded as attachments, right? It would be an even better solution for us, giving us some control over all attachments, rather than just videos. It's just that it's much more important to have that control when it comes to videos, because of the sizes involved. I'm not sure which would be easier to do from a dev point, implement permissions for all file types or just certain ones, but it's definitely a must-have for the videos.

While max size based on file type may be useful, permisions for specific user groups is the even more useful. For many forum owners the extra storage required is going to cost. A great way to fund that cost is selling user account upgrades into usergroups with permissions to upload videos. Even better if the permissions could involve a max upload size and max total quota.

Oh no, I wasn't suggesting that. I should have also pointed that out, I suppose. I know that Andy's suggestion was for size limit permissions, but I was thinking of it as a given that it would be implemented with per usergroup permissions. However, you're right, they could just provide file size limits without usegroup permissions, and that wouldn't cut it for videos.

We've implemented this. More details here:

Is there a way to restrict video upload size by usergroup?

So for example all users can upload to 100MB, then premium users in another usergroup can get 1GB access?

Top Bottom