XF 2.0 | There needs to be better management of copyright notices from addons

There are developers out there who opt not to put in copyright messages for their work. I purposely choose to support them. People should be weary of companies who put in copyright messages, and the link by association it creates. For example there is a wellknown developer on here who has been convicted of sex crimes(pedophilia) whose many customers are probably unaware of his conviction whilst their plaster his company name on the bottom of each page on their site.

Once you purchase an add on it should be your decision whether or not any credits are displayed - especially, if not certainly, with any PAID add on. You should not have to pay more to remove third party branding.

But you have to do just that with XF.

There are developers out there who opt not to put in copyright messages for their work. I purposely choose to support them. People should be weary of companies who put in copyright messages, and the link by association it creates. For example there is a wellknown developer on here who has been convicted of sex crimes(pedophilia) whose many customers are probably unaware of his conviction whilst their plaster his company name on the bottom of each page on their site.

The worst of the bunch are those that add a blanketed statement that takes credit for all add-ons, crafted by them or not. Frankly, I'm getting tired of it. I do not add a branding notice to any of my add-ons, but lately I been thinking of adding an option to display one (by request, but admin selectable) on any page my add-ons generate, where other developers take apparent credit by using those blanketed statements.

But you have to do just that with XF.

I don't necessarily agree with XenForo's stance on requiring a purchase to remove the branding, either. It's not open source freeware -- people pay good money for their license or licenses. The cost to remove the branding is excessive.

For add-on vendors - anyone with XenForo can find where the add-ons come from.. usually without branding. I've had to track down a few myself just by their purpose alone. There's a niche market for reliable XenForo vendors -- so it makes it a little easier to find modules.

I don't think anyone is making money or the bulk of their money off utilizing each person's website as a marketing platform. I could be wrong.

Top Bottom