XF 2.0 - Love the ability to add tabs across the top

Joe Kuhn

Just found out about the ability to set up tabs across the top and am reorganizing my new site some. So instead of one long scrolling list of Forums, I can add tabs and move some of the long forum list into topical tabs. I started with "Stories". Very nice. Thanks!

You do it here: Admin/Setup/PublicNavigation. I think the term 'Navigation' kept me from realizing it has to do with tabs.

AndyB gives a nice tutorial to get you started here: https://www.xf2addons.com/threads/creating-a-navigation-tab-about-us.68/#post-297

Thanks Andy. I've got a slick About tab now which I completed after a little brush up on raw html.

Last edited:
The About tab points to a Page object, but the Stories tab points to a different node object and its whole hierarchy. This is a nicely generalized structure giving a huge amount of flexibility. Next I'm thinking of making a Resources tab and possibly an Events tab...whatever the owner of the site wants. I should be able to structure it however he desires.

Way to go xf programming team.

About tab is shown here:

1528465287632.webp

Stories tab looks like this:

1528465341631.webp

In Nodes: the key to getting Personal Stories category to show correctly was to set Navigation Section to the right tab, the Stories tab! That moved them from the Forums tab to the Stories tab. Think 'Navigation = Tab'. Makes sense, eh?

1528465555475.webp

Last edited:
Discovered that if you link a Tab to a Forum and not a forum's Category, the Forum will open up automatically and show all it's threads. Very nice!

As you can see here the Resources tab opens to the Forum "Kindness Ideas & Internet Links" and all it's threads. Originally I had a Category in between the tab and the forum which had to be clicked to see the threads. One less click along the way. I like it!

1528828200357.webp

Last edited:
Top Bottom