xF 2.0 - Continuity

woostar

I've put this thread in the pre-sales forum, but in all honesty I've had an unused license since the day xF launched. Unlike many who have jumped on-board the xenForo train I just do not think (with all respect to Kier and Krew) that the software is quite 'there' yet. I've played around with the software and even paid for the renewals to see how the things are coming along.

When I sold my last forum I really wanted to used xF for my next project. I ended up ignoring vB4 & 5 (and other software) and went back to vB3 because there just wasn't anything solid and reliable enough out there.

Soooo, my question is:
As much as I really want to give xF a shot, I'm also aware of how close we are to the end version 1. Knowing that xF 2 alpha almost certainly exists... Is there any continuity between xF 1 and xF2? I guess what I want to know is, if I was to start working on something that wasn't a vanilla install, would I have to start again when xf2 is launched (more specifically the template) ?

Is xF2 a complete re-write or is a feature overhaul?

Last edited:
I would say XF is pretty solid and reliable, though understandably it may not have some of the features you want. As you probably know, there are plenty of add-ons to fill any gaps, but to each his own.

In any case, you will be able to upgrade from XF1 to XF2. However, as I understand it, any add-ons and templates are likely to be incompatible and require changes.

I'd imagine a lot of rewriting from the core, but we can't be sure. Lots of features I'd like to see as a developer. Less like ZF1 and more like Laravel 5 for me.

Is xF2 a complete re-write or is a feature overhaul
It's a new major version so a rewrite of the base code.

See this thread for more information: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/whats-next-for-xenforo.79603/

Specifically these posts:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/whats-next-for-xenforo.79603/page-38#post-889527
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/whats-next-for-xenforo.79603/page-58#post-994567

And this comment from Mike:
To give a specific example, the code is fundamentally different, but the permissions concept is basically unchanged. Sure, there will be some UI changes and hopefully some other improvements, but we aren't necessarily coming in with the explicit notion of blowing things up for the sake of it. The most significant part of XenForo 2.0 development is reaching rough feature parity with 1.x. While there may be some smaller features or options that will be changed or removed, most features you use should still exist in some form.

if I was to start working on something that wasn't a vanilla install, would I have to start again when xf2 is launched (more specifically the template) ?
Just to put that quote of mine in context, I was referring to the concept of the feature. If you're doing code and or template changes, you will need to redo those in XF2.

(I said we weren't blowing things up for the sake of it, but if things need to be blown up, they're being blown up. ;))

Many thanks for the replies. I've waited 5 years. Think I might just wait another 6 months :) Looking forward to giving it a bash on an active site :)

I also run a vb3 big board. I run 110 vb addons on it and added loads of template changes over the last decade. I am in the final stage of replacing all functions with XF addons. I am now preparing the migration to XF 1.5 which will take place in the coming few months. Hopefully sooner.
XF2 alpha preview will be out somewhere next year, then long beta, RC and XF2 stable. After that it will take considerable time for all 3rd party addons to be updated. So in my view, it could be a very long wait if you want to wait with migration for XF2.
XF1.5 is good enough for me to build on and then when XF2 and all needed addons are updated, then I will make the jump to it. It would be nice if that happens soon, but I doubt that will happen before fall next year.

Just to put that quote of mine in context, I was referring to the concept of the feature. If you're doing code and or template changes, you will need to redo those in XF2.

(I said we weren't blowing things up for the sake of it, but if things need to be blown up, they're being blown up. ;))

Has anything been started yet for v2 framework or is still all in the mind and sketch pads?

Has anything been started yet for v2 framework or is still all in the mind and sketch pads?
I think 1.5.x showed that v2 is being developed and a feature was copied from it... or Chris convinced Kier and Mike to adapt a different coding style.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the XenForo_TagHandler_Tagger class returns $this; in 5 places and there's only 11 10 (originally counted a 3rd party script that's included for 2factor) other instances of that in the entire XenForo_* code base. To me, it shows that they decided to start returning the object in v2 and just copied/pasted a lot of code to 1.5 for the tag feature. I'd also like to point out, if I'm right, it shows that the code is fairly similar and can be ported (somewhat) easily.

Top Bottom