XenWord Pro [Deleted]

I'm thinking about buying this. What I want to achieve is a simple link in my WordPress posts (with the number of comments) that links over to the appropriate XenForo thread created. I don't want duplicated comments sections or duplicated comments. Does this plugin achieve that?

Update: I purchased the XenWord Basic subscription to test things out and it does about 1/2 of what I want it to do. 1) Disabling the "Display comments in WordPress." doesn't seem to work — comments appear no matter what I do (and disabling comments in wordpress prevents them from even being created on the XenForo side. 2) I want the "2 comments" link on the front page for each of my posts to link directly to their respective Xenforo thread, not the post itself.

Other than that, looks great. Any insight @LPH?

Last edited:
I don't want duplicated comments sections or duplicated comments. Does this plugin achieve that?

Yes. Please watch this video for the settings necessary to shut off the comments on the WP side and XenWord side.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Regardless, please open a support ticket so that I am able to send you the latest version of XenWord. The Basic Subscription -- is basic -- and you'll want to have the latest to test everything out.

Yes. Please watch this video for the settings necessary to shut off the comments on the WP side and XenWord side.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Regardless, please open a support ticket so that I am able to send you the latest version of XenWord. The Basic Subscription -- is basic -- and you'll want to have the latest to test everything out.

Working great for the most part now. Couple things: all the images that are getting pulled from the Xenforo side are broken on the WordPress side, which is odd since that wasn't happening with the "Basic" version I was using before. Also is there an easy way to make the "X comments" links on my front blog page link directly to Xenforo? Maybe a quick theme edit?

Thanks!

A ticket was opened for you last night with the latest version attached to the ticket. I am just getting home and settling down from a huge personal problem (dog throwing up, car stuck on side of road, cell phone battery dead ....).

You'll find on Tux Reports a thread regarding avatars. Please enable friendly URLs.

Robru actually showed you a picture of what you are asking about. It's an option in the XenWord settings panel. I think there is a video too but don't have the link.

All tech support is best done on Tux Reports.

@LPH, I just installed the latest version (xenword-3.3.4.0 upgrade) and I have noticed two issues so far.

1) This is a major one for me: Threads are not being created by default when posting a new article. I can see now that there is a "Create or Edit Thread" option on the post page, top right, however this needs to be set by default as on, or at least a setting in the xenword config to set this to on, as otherwise this is an extra step that can easily be forgotten when creating posts and all my posts need to have a thread created in xenforo. While it may seem like a small thing to have to click on this every time we create a post, it can easily be forgotten as there are so many configurations to make when making a post in wordpress. I have searched through the option page 3 times now and I can't find any setting to make that as on by default.

2) (not so serious) When the thread is created on the forum, the excerpt is being placed within a quote. Previous behavior was that it would appear unquoted. I can't find a setting to return this back to how it used to be. I understand that it makes sense to make it a quote for some people, but you have to expand the quote to see more text and it just makes more sense to have it like a normal thread.

Hi @Laron

I'm sorry you are having trouble. By default posts and pages creation are enabled in the XenWord settings. The newest version has a checkbook which must be checked for the posts to be created. This is off by default. It's hard coded as off. This is so someone may enter the thread number and promote a thread to an article and the first post in the thread is not edited.

Feel free to start a suggestions thread if you'd like it on in future versions. If you need it now then please open a ticket and I can create a special version for you.

Number two is also hard coded but there are four choices in the XenWord settings. The next version was planned to have more options in the writing of the threads. I was going to open a thread on it in the suggestions forum. Feel free to start one.

If you want the quotes out then we can start a thread in support or open a ticket and I can show you what to edit.

Feel free to start a suggestions thread if you'd like it on in future versions. If you need it now then please open a ticket and I can create a special version for you.
I find it very time consuming to open a ticket because of all the details you require on your form. How long do you think it will be until you implement a setting for all users that enables this to be on by default? If it is not a long time then I won't bother creating a ticket, but if this is not something you consider important I will have to create one as this will be a big problem for us. Its key that every article/post we make gets created as a new thread on our forum as this is how a lot of people keep track of new articles.

I'm surprised by your statement. Opening a ticket requires knowing the URLs and if the person has read the guides. These are important questions. It saves hours when people see the urls, scheme, host names, etc don't match. It's extremely efficient.

When I sit to code, versus using the iPad to read sites (like right now), I use the support site to guide development. I try to consider the feedback -- and for years-- thread promotion was huge. Setting the checkbox to yes means a thread could be overwritten by accident. There is no going back. I can already see the angry posts but I'm open if people want it that way. Instead, it might be best to have an option in the panel.

I know this may seem strange to some, but I have no idea if someone has actually bought a license when they use this thread. It's clear on Tux Reports and many questions are already answered or the guides are easily available.

Thank you for understanding because I really do value feedback.

I totally understand the importance of having the information you request for bug reports, but when it comes to something like I mentioned it is a very simple thing so should require only specific information, so when I said "I find it very time consuming to open a ticket" I was referring to reporting a bug or problem that would require a lot more information from me for you to completely understand the issue.

and for years-- thread promotion was huge. Setting the checkbox to yes means a thread could be overwritten by accident. There is no going back. I can already see the angry posts but I'm open if people want it that way. Instead, it might be best to have an option in the panel.

I'm sorry but this is a new feature that was not there before. Previously threads would be created automatically on xenforo when posting on wordpress, but since I updated to the latest version the tick box now has to be manually ticked every single time. I'm not sure what you are referring to with threads being overwritten as in this situation the thread does not exist yet as it's a new post. This is only for creating a new post on wordpress which results in the automatic thread that links back to it on xenforo.

As you can understand, this has a major impact for my site as I have to tell all my authors that they now have to manually tick that box every time they post and there are multiple posts being submitted on a daily basis — it's easy to forget to tick this and get used to this process, considering all the other wordpress based things you have to configure before posting. Like I said, this may seem like a simple thing but it's actually a much larger problem. So just to be clear, all that is required is a setting to turn this on by default for all users, or at least have it remember that you ticked it so it stays ticks for future posts.

You spend a lot of time responding to things like this, and improving your product and I just want to say that it is impressive how well you handle everything, so thanks for all your hard work! :)

Last edited:
Turns out this was an easy fix. A switch was added to have the checkbox on or off by default.

Enable Checkbox On Off by Default.webp

This works well but I isn't tested under all of the PHP versions. Some times I forget to add the isset ....

I want to add the quote option for the threads next and will try to release this by tonight.

You spend a lot of time responding to things like this, and improving your product and I just want to say that it is impressive how well you handle everything, so thanks for all your hard work! :)

Thank you. I was on the iPad earlier and couldn't see if the code would even work. It works fine.

Some people are saying avatars aren't working on this version. It's strange because I don't have notes that changes were made to that area. Something must have changed so I'll work on it, too.

A switch was added to have the checkbox on or off by default
I didn't think it would be difficult, so it's good it was easy. I didn't mean to rush you, I just wanted to explain it was one of those important things to have an option for as soon as possible (so a week or so would have been fine). I do rely upon people on the forum seeing the thread that gets posted based on wordpress posts, because my forum installation gets just over triple the traffic in comparison to my wordpress install.

I just remembered a third issue. The Post Ratings is one of those add-ons that we use a lot and which I have heavily customised. I noticed that when using the post rating xenword option (It's great you have that), it's showing post ratings with the wrong text. So for example, it has the right image, but the text next to that image is the old default text/words, not what i have modified and changed, so I can't leave ratings turned on. I'm not sure why it's picking up the original text before I changed the rating text. This is the sort of thing I know I should log on your site, alongside that quote issue. It's just not a big deal at the moment. An example is the tick with the ABC, that's showing as "bad spelling" when it should show "intriguing", where bad spelling is he original description and intriguing is what I changed it to last year at some point.

Avatars? I see them showing fine in the comments on wordpress, otherwise I'm not sure about that.

I'll look into the post ratings.

One of the reasons I love XenWord development is because of the feedback. For example, just this morning, I've learned the following: text domain translation is missing in at least two files, an avatar settings guide is missing, a customer found a User ID alignment plugin, sidebar online user option isn't working in some conditions, plus all of your feedback on post ratings, quotes, and checkbox.

It's a great day !

I noticed that when using the post rating xenword option (It's great you have that), it's showing post ratings with the wrong text. So for example, it has the right image, but the text next to that image is the old default text/words, not what i have modified and changed, so I can't leave ratings turned on. I'm not sure why it's picking up the original text before I changed the rating text

These are hard coded into the file. I'll have to look and see if there is a way to pull the information from Post Ratings. I'm not sure.

LPH updated XenWord Pro with a new update entry:

New Options for Checkbox and Quotes

( 126 ) 3.4.0.0 - March 2, 2017
Added missing text domain to class-xenword-thread-creation.php and class-xenword-toolbar-login.php
New Feature: Option to set thread checkbox to on/off as default
New Feature: Option to set enclosing excerpts in quotes. Default is on.
Bug Fix: Missing conditional for XenForo_Link::useFriendlyUrls(false) in Avatars
Bug Fix: Post Ratings alt tags all returned Like.

Please see the full announcement thread....

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hi @LPH

I was working on having a sidebar block to show latest WP articles in XF subforums. I found many helpful pages on your site and the working version is as below:

PHP:
<?php
/**
* Filename: WPPosts.php
*/
class TRN_XenWord_Model_WPPosts extends XenForo_Model {
    public static function getHtml() {

define( 'WP_USE_THEMES', false );
        define( 'DOCUMENT_ROOT', $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] );
        require( DOCUMENT_ROOT . '/wp-blog-header.php' );

$args = array( 'numberposts' => '10', 'post_type' => 'post', 'category' => '38', 'post_status' => 'publish' );

$LatestWPPosts = wp_get_recent_posts( $args );

echo '<h3>Wordpress Category Articles</h3>';

foreach ( $LatestWPPosts as $LatestWPPost ) {
            $excerpt = apply_filters('the_excerpt', get_post_field('post_excerpt', $LatestWPPost['ID']));

echo "<h4 style=\"font-size: 10pt; margin-bottom: 10px;\" ><a href='" . esc_url( get_permalink( $LatestWPPost['ID'] ) ) . "'>" . $LatestWPPost['post_title'] . '</a></h4>';
        }
    }
}

// End WPPosts.php

Through WP category targeting, I am able to show WP articles on specific related XF forums.

Now I wanted to make these through [bd] Widgets but nothing is showing through teh PHP Callback Method.

Can you help on this ?
Thanks.

Through WP category targeting, I am able to show WP articles on specific related XF forums.

I know ! It's cool adding the category to the array. I did it on Tux Reports with a wide view a few days ago, too.

I wanted to make these through [bd] Widgets

I'm so sorry. My knowledge of [bd] Widgets isn't worth a penny. Others have asked too. It's on my list to try but for now - I don't know.

Maybe someone else knows how to move the code to a [bd] Widget. It's definitely worth the effort. And it is on my list so if something is figured out then I'll definitely post it.

LPH updated XenWord Pro with a new update entry:

Important Bug Fixes to Author / Avatar Links

Sites not using Use Friendly URLs ran into problems with Avatars not loading. Important bug fixes include the metabox loading outside of the WordPress dashboard and the proper loading of metaboxes on posts, pages, etc.

( 127 ) 3.4.1.0 - March 4, 2017
Added missing text domain to class-online-users-widget.php
Added is_admin() in class-xenword-discussions-loader.php
Bug Fix: Metaboxes loading
Bug Fix: Author box if XenForo about is empty
Bug Fix: Uploaded XenForo Avatars when Use...

Read the rest of this update entry...

XenWord 4 News

XenWord 4.x is the version compatible with XenForo 2. It will be considered an upgrade and included at no additional cost to license holders.

See Announcement Thread.

I appreciate everyone who has been supportive of this bridge over the years. Extending licenses is my thank you for your patience, kindness, and tolerance.

Top Bottom