Add-on XenReviews [CrowdFund]

Would you buy this add on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This project was much to complicated. Creating a whole new grid (=widget) system just to build a review website on it, was a very ambitious plan.

I still hope it'll be continued or to be at least able to download the latest Beta.

This project was much to complicated. Creating a whole new grid (=widget) system just to build a review website on it, was a very ambitious plan.

I still hope it'll be continued or to be at least able to download the latest Beta.
Beta versions have been available to licensed members

I was looking at the site last week. I had the impression that XenReviews was officially released and cost around $90. I thought it looked great from the demo.

I spoke with Jeff on Friday.

He had just gotten back from a business trip and told me that he has been very busy with work lately. He has a lot of stuff going on. He said that he had a RC1 build ready a few weeks ago just didn't have the chance to push it out to everyone yet. We talked for a little while and he said he was going to transfer the domain to me and give me the droplet that it's currently hosted on, let me release the RC1 and take control of the project.

I don't know when he intends to do this, I don't know why the site is offline, he may be preparing to do all of this. I'll let you all know when I hear from him again.

I can't imagine any reason to stop development of such a complicated and huge add-on after such many hours worked at RC1.

Too bad....

oh ok... no problem with that.

The importanti thing is that if Jeff can't work to it anymore there's another active dev to take care of it! (y)

@Daniel Hood :
Thank you for trying to make the latest (and also first) RC available to all of us purchasers.

Since Jeff did not release it, do you know anything about its quality and if it will be able to be used at production sites?

One more question: Will XR continued to be developed and by whom?

Since Jeff did not release it, do you know anything about its quality and if it will be able to be used at production sites?
I'd say it's on par with the rest of the releases; generally high quality, probably a few bugs.

One more question: Will XR continued to be developed and by whom?
Myself. I may hire someone to help after it goes gold and I start seeing license sales coming in again.

Once I get the project under my control, I'll be going through and fixing bugs. I'll likely release 2 more RC versions (each one obviously having less and less bugs) and then hopefully RC3 won't have any bugs reported for a week or so, at which time we will move forward with the 1.0.0 release (posted here in the resource section at that time). That's when everyone's license date will start. That's also when I'll start working on the 1.1.0 branch which will have new features again.

Myself. I may hire someone to help after it goes gold and I start seeing license sales coming in again.
Well it's great to know XR has some stability moving forward and the communication lines are flowing again. These types of projects are challenging (I think most people realise this) but communication is the KEY and being good at something is only half the battle because if your comms skills are poor then you're stuffed.

Your runs are on the board Daniel as being a good communicator and an active dev here on XF so I'm feeling much better about XenReviews now. Thanks for nutting this out and regaining control of the project. (y)

Seeing as how you are now focusing on Add-on - Administrator Essentials , where does that leave the rest of us waiting for a viable reviews system? Just flat out waiting... and hoping?

You should scrap that XenGrid, it's taken AGES from the core development of XenReviews, and in the end, has screwed everyone who has invested and purchased this add-on.

At least when the pressure was put on for XenPorta2, it became a reality... Who woulda ever thought this would be the one to drag out further.

Seeing as how you are now focusing on Add-on - Administrator Essentials
Assuming you use the loosest possible definition of "focusing". I used that thread to brainstorm and most of the features were ones that I've already done as custom development for people or were about to before XenForo 1.5 (Mass Conversations). Most of those basic features were already done. After typing that thread, maybe an hour of attention was given to it. Of that hour, most of it was yesterday when I thought of the batch update add/remove tags feature. We can pretend that equates to having most of my attention though.

where does that leave the rest of us waiting for a viable reviews system? Just flat out waiting... and hoping?
I just recently became a part of development for this add-on again. A long long long time ago, I was removed from the project and nearly everyone liked it. Now Jeff has higher priorities and it's back on me and I'm doing the best I can to adapt to having it back in my schedule and on my plate. Last night I prepared a functional beta build that I've been trying to get to everyone, I'll be posting it by lunch time (as I have a day job).

You should scrap that XenGrid, it's taken AGES from the core development of XenReviews, and in the end, has screwed everyone who has invested and purchased this add-on.
That'd be incredibly illogical. Sure, XenGrid may be a highly complicated add-on and shouldn't have been but it's also extremely high quality. Also, (some of) it's features were necessary for XenReviews.

At least when the pressure was put on for XenPorta2, it became a reality... Who woulda ever thought this would be the one to drag out further.
XenPorta2 could have been (and was) developed in a couple of weeks. XenReviews has over 100,000 lines of code. Compressed it is 1.4 MB. The two things aren't very comparable.

Since being back in charge of this add-on, I have acknowledged and responded to every single post. I've also been pretty transparent with you guys. I respond quickly, I answer your questions, I address your concerns, and I'm pretty straight forward with you guys. Can I at least get the courtesy of being talked to in a nice manner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom