Add-on XenGallery & XenMediaGalery question.

Goodfella

So I hear good things about both of these galleries. I have even tried one of them. I still don't seem to know (or find) one feature that I would specifically need.
My question is do either of these have the following feature.
Lets say I'm using either of the galleries on my website. I would be using it for a shoe showcase. What i would need this add-on to do is lets say a user created a new album and names it "Walking Shoes" and posts three photos in that album, is there a feature where i could have that album posted in a node automatically where the tread title would be the albums name "Walking Shoes" and the content of the thread would be the content of the album (images).
Ill try to explain it a little better just to be clear. I have a node called "My Shoe Showcase" where we encourage our members to share their shoe collections. But we also want to encourage them to use the gallery this way when users are browsing other members shoes they don't have to browse hundreds of threads they can just look in the gallery.
What i would like is lets say i create a new album named "My Walking Shoes" and i upload 2-3 photos to this album, i would like a feature that could automatically post this in the "My Shoe Showcase" node.
I hope my explanation is okay.

Do either of these galleries offer something like this?

This is all i would need from now, to post from the gallery to a node in the future it wouldn't be bad if i could have it do both, from gallery to node and from node to gallery (if it does not already exist).
I know the node to gallery might be a bit harder.

If this feature does not exist, how hard would something like this be? Would this be a new add-on? Would anyone be interested in creating this add-on for me (which i would pay for and share with the community).

Thank you so much! @sonnb @Chris D

Xen Media Gallery doesn't do this for this very reason:
But we also want to encourage them to use the gallery this way when users are browsing other members shoes they don't have to browse hundreds of threads they can just look in the gallery.

For commenting, each media item has a list of comments that's very easy to use and is compatible with all BB Codes etc. just like threads. You can also "Watch" media and albums for new comments and new media being added. We also put the discovery of new media at the forefront of everything by making a count of unviewed media available always visible no matter where you are on the forum.

While using the forum, you can also very easily add your own media to your post:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You can also share media in posts using the handy share code that you can get in various formats from each media page.

I can't see the functionality you are requesting being added in the near future but something similar was once suggested so it will always be considered for the future.

You may also be interested to look at Showcase by @Bob B. Each showcase item can have an image gallery attached to it. Each showcase item can have its own thread posted too, just like you're suggesting. It's the closest thing I can think of to what you want to achieve.

Reactions: Bob
Xen Media Gallery doesn't do this for this very reason:

For commenting, each media item has a list of comments that's very easy to use and is compatible with all BB Codes etc. just like threads. You can also "Watch" media and albums for new comments and new media being added. We also put the discovery of new media at the forefront of everything by making a count of unviewed media available always visible no matter where you are on the forum.

While using the forum, you can also very easily add your own media to your post:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You can also share media in posts using the handy share code that you can get in various formats from each media page.

I can't see the functionality you are requesting being added in the near future but something similar was once suggested so it will always be considered for the future.

You may also be interested to look at Showcase by @Bob B. Each showcase item can have an image gallery attached to it. Each showcase item can have its own thread posted too, just like you're suggesting. It's the closest thing I can think of to what you want to achieve.

I understand what you're saying but in the end a comment is just a comment. For example when i post a image of shoes i don't want people having conversations about that specific pair in the comments section i would much rather have it happen in a thread.
Also similar forum is a car forum when people post images of their cars i don't need them asking in the comments "Hey what kind of wheels are those?". If the content of the album was carried over to a node it would make discussions much easier.
It would go like this someone uploads album > Thread is automatically created > A member views thread, comments, asks question > Owner of the album gets notification and answers in thread instead of under comments.
This way if someone is looking for something like "what wheels are those" they would be able to find the thread and see the discussion about the wheels and not have to do this and ask more questions via comment in the gallery.

My suggestion would just be A HUGE BONUS function that i believe would be used by many customers and its something that the competition at the moment does not have.

In the end why have discussions happen in multiple places (forum, gallery), discussions should be saved for the forums. If its a ADD-ON for forums (discussion platforms) it should keep the members on the forums.

Its a forum conversations should be happening on the forum and not under the comment section of a gallery =D

I also like the editor button where you can automatically insert your media when replying to a post thats a big PLUS that xenmedia does not offer at the moment!
Will take a look at your suggestion. I believe many people would use this, it would also help new forums build content threads..

Just took a look at your suggestion and thats exactly what i had in mind! Great suggestion hopefully Chris implements something like this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom