1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xenforo

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by TYSPRS, Feb 6, 2016.

1. TYSPRS

TYSPRS Member

Hey all I run a mc server and are currently using enjin! I have a lot of experience coding mc stuff but nothing to do with websites!
    I am looking into xenforo and need to know a couple of things!
    1)
    What extras are useful?
    2)
    Is it easy for someone with no experience coding online?
    3)
    Is it easy to install onto a web host?
    4)
    What web host is good and reliable?
    5)
    Would u recommend it over enjin?

Thanks

2. TYSPRS

TYSPRS Member

Also can xenforo be install onto enjin?

3. wang

wang Well-Known Member

Hello,

1) What do you mean by extras, add ons?

2) To code you must have at least a level of php and mysql knowledge. And of the oop system too.

3) There are a lot of good hostings around. I would suggest that you do some research before you purchase a hosting plan though.

4) What is enjin?

4. TYSPRS

TYSPRS Member

Enjin is a website host!
    (Google it)
    Ye addons
    @wang

Thanks

5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I belive Enjin is a free host so you won't be able to install XF on that host.

6. wang

wang Well-Known Member

With regard to add ons, it depends on several factors. What kind of forum are you going to start?

7. OUTL4W

OUTL4W Active Member

enjin is a free hosting for gaming related websites...they offer paid plans as well....and creates/supports ALL there addons, plugins and modules. Drawback is the software is table based, static layouts that have no give – An ancient setup that is still being used today.
    @TYSPRS
    There are many similar third-party addons for xen but are paid and most of them have excellent support. fyi...Xen doesn't come with integrated social groups. Paid add on:
    https://xenforo.com/community/resources/nobita-social-groups-teams-guilds-clubs.2875/

8. TYSPRS

TYSPRS Member

What do u mean by "social groups"
    @OUTL4W

9. TYSPRS

TYSPRS Member

I wish to create a community such as this
    Www.aton2.com
    I host 2 mc servers and they would be on the web as well as a community!
    As of that I am unsure of what addons I would need and how easy it is to install into a web host
    @wang @OUTL4W @Brogan

10. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Old version of XenForo (circa 2013) using XenPorta (the free one that is no longer supported - the new is a paid add-on).
    The Shoutbox is Tiaga Chat. The events is Jaxel's XenAtendo (again, no longer supported in the free format but is a paid add-on).
    The rest looks pretty much standard Xenforo.

See above.. and installing the script is very easy (if you set up a MC server you should be able to do XenForo with no issues).

11. TYSPRS

TYSPRS Member

@Tracy Perry
    Thanks!
    Also I had a question!
    If I installed into onto let's say bluehost and I didn't like bluehost could I uninstall it and reinstall it onto a new web host or would I have to buy a new license!
    Also by free do u mean xenforo was free?

12. Brogan

Yes, you can move the installation, as long as it is only installed once at any one time.

XenForo has never been free.

13. TYSPRS

TYSPRS Member

@Brogan what is circa 2013 then?

14. Brogan

He was referring to the free version of the add-on, not a free version of XF.

15. Tracy Perry

As Brogan stated, you can install in on any host you want that supports the requirements - and you can move it to another as many times as you want, as long as no more than 1 copy is running at a time.
    The circa 2013 refers to the version of XenForo (it will be a 1.2/3 era one most likely) since it's using the older version of XenPorta. XenForo has never been free AFAIK. The "free" comment was of the add-ons (XenPorta and XenAtendo) - which are both now paid ones in their current versions.

16. TYSPRS

TYSPRS Member

17. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

I would personally recommend @Mike Edge. Aside from some email issues that crop up every now and then, though it's not really on his end, it's been nothing but good experiences with him.

The Forum Heroes likes this.
  18. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

I suggest you search the forums for threads on web hosting. There are plenty of them and you'll have a bunch of people in these stating their preference. That'll give you a wider choice rather than responses from just a few people in this thread.

19. Tracy Perry

I run on dedicated hardware personally - none of my sites need that much power, but I like the control. My current sites are on a SoYouStart E3-SAT3 and am moving them over to an OVH server using a D-1520 CPU, 32GB RAM and 2 480GB SSD drives in RAID 1.

20. TYSPRS

TYSPRS Member

The thing with xenforo is though you have to code in navigation bars and then i have no clue how to add forums or modules into them!