1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Xenforo Won't Return Search Results on Subject Lines With Hyphens?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by imno007, Jun 30, 2013.

1. imno007

imno007 Active Member

I'm guessing it's not a bug, because it would likely have been reported and fixed by now, but it's not something I've ever noticed using other forum platforms. But yeah, if you search for a thread title that contains a hyphen, it won't give you a result. You have to search for key words that are on one side or the other of the hyphen to get a thread to show up in the results. I only noticed it because I had a test user report a thread to me, and instead of linking to it he just gave me the whole thread title, which I searched for exactly as written. Then I found a few more threads containing hyphens and searched for them and none were returned on a search either. I guess in the big scheme of things it's not likely to be a problem that often, but it just seems a bit odd to me. I haven't tested it, but maybe this would also happen if there was a colon or other punctuation mark in the middle of a thread title? Is this done purposefully to make the searches more efficient?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013