Xenforo without forums

MISC

To have different forums is not always an ideal solution, because one topic could go with more than one forum. With the new thread tagging feature, categories become obsolete in some cases. I am thinking about how to use Xenforo without traditional forums, only with tags for categorization. How could I get rid of the forums? Thank you very much for your innovative ideas!

There is an add-on called "NoForo" or something like that by @Jon W.

Pretty sure that would still get rid of the forum aspect of things, tags/prefixes included.

You could just use a single node for all your threads, use tags and prefixes for sorting options. Finally set your home in the options to that node. It'd require quite a bit of modifications overall to make sure experience is nice for your users but that's a general start. I started something like it for one of my forums awhile back and it started to come out nicely.

Not really, I'm using it for several days now.
Looks like NodeBB + Discourse enhance version to me.

That's Tags :).
Tags use as Category system.

ahh.... o.k.

Speaking of XenForo, I would just keep it as "Categories" at the left-hand Sidebar (same as at the RM) and keep the "Tags" as they already are.
If you completely skip the "Categories", then you loose certain hierarchies (I guess some people call it taxonomy) which is not always great.

It depends on the respective case. For me, hierarchies stand for a traditional/structured approach while tags support cases which require more flexibility.

In an ideal world, Xenforo would support both approaches!

On Flarum, tags are declared manually by admin.
So why should I declare that many tags? :)

I would really like to be able to do what Flarum provides on Xenforo. It may only require UI mods since tags is now built in. Anyone interested in developing an add-on for this?

I would really like to be able to do what Flarum provides on Xenforo. It may only require UI mods since tags is now built in. Anyone interested in developing an add-on for this?

It is not only a question of UI mods. With Flarum you are able to assign a topic to more than one forum (primary tag).

Top Bottom