XF 2.2 Xenforo with Wix?

Alvin63

Is it possibly to add a Xenforo forum to a Wix site (or link the two somehow) and if so how easy is it and how do I go about it? (Not my website - for someone else).

You can add XenForo "under" any type of web site, as long as the server runs PHP and an HTTP server.. it is simply a script that runs.
Now, if you are asking if you can "link users" or such... then a lot of times yes, that can be done.... by coding an add-on or such to do so. It does not do it natively.

Thank you. So does anyone know if Wix runs PHP and an HTTP server? Currently the site has an existing forum via the Wix software, as a separate part of the website. But the forum options and admin settings are very limited. So to transfer existing forum members to Xenforo would need an addon then?

If you are talking about wix.com hosting.. it looks like THEY provide the script you can use.. it doesn't appear to be (from my rough research) a normal hosting provider... more like the "free" ones that you use what they provide. If that is the case, they are going to be out of luck hosting there. They could still do it by getting another server and setting it up as a sub-domain and then simply place navigation links back and forth in the nav bars.
As for "transferring"... are you talking about an API to "share" the user data or are you talking about a migration from a WIX setup to XenForo? In the first case an add-on would probably be needed, in the latter, an importer written or a 3rd party that has one engaged to do the migration.

Thank you. So does anyone know if Wix runs PHP and an HTTP server? Currently the site has an existing forum via the Wix software, as a separate part of the website. But the forum options and admin settings are very limited. So to transfer existing forum members to Xenforo would need an addon then?
I’ve done a few jobs where a site was using Wix for the front end. It does have some ability to embed scripts but it would not support something like XenForo. You would need a separate server to run XF. I don’t think you can integrate the two, but I never looked for that ability (user accounts, etc.)

WIX is a completely closed environment. It is hardly possible to integrate external statistics, etc.
You have no possibility to go further than their user interface allows.

So, no, XF cannot be integrated with WIX.

Thanks both. The forum admin options are horrible and not enough options. So not sure I can help them with it.

They could still do it by getting another server and setting it up as a sub-domain and then simply place navigation links back and forth in the nav bars.

That is something I wondered about. Is that possible?

WIX is a completely closed environment. It is hardly possible to integrate external statistics, etc.
You have no possibility to go further than their user interface allows.

So, no, XF cannot be integrated with WIX.
Thanks. What about TP's suggestion above?

Ah ok so would it need a different domain name as well? The Wix Forum software appears to be very minimalist, requiring coding for even very basic functions that are standard in XF.

Ah ok so would it need a different domain name as well?
As long as you (or the owner) has full control of the DNS of that domain, then no... you can place it on a subdomain on a separate hosted site and simply point that subdomain at the other hosting.
So, you could have it at forum.myfantasticsite.com and it be hosted somewhere else while myfantasticsite.com remains hosted at Wix. The issue is that users will not be shared amongst them without special coding.

Top Bottom