XenForo vs. IPB/IPS What's your honest opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigratrus

I'll preface this by saying that Susan and I have been actively evaluating new platforms for about a year. We've been developing/extending our community solution (currently vB 3.8 + WP/Joomla! and PHPMyDirectory) for about 5-6 years. Our community is how we make a living. It pays our mortgage and all our bills, so it's both a business AND a labor of love.

I've tried very hard to give an honest comparison of the two systems based on our experience. Susan and I would very much appreciate hearing what others think from *their* experience and perspective.

Obviously vB 4 is not even vaguely in the running. This isn't an emotional decision it's based on hard cold facts about the platform, it's resource consumption, it's likely future, and how freaking impossible it is to work with if you want to modify/extend it.

Our take, based on working with both systems for about a month, popping for a "Hosted Community" with the full IPS Suite loaded on it (if you get the "Plus 40" for $29.99/month and pay $5/month more you can get the entire package including IP.Content and IP.Nexus) is:

IPS:

Benefits of IPS:
  1. IPS is a very mature system with a LOT of capability. The development pace is rapid, and they have come a long way from a year or two ago. The have importers, and seem to provide excellent service on tickets, the forum based help is spotty, but as long as tickets work that's fine with me.
  2. IP.Nexus is a real gem, seriously impressive what you can do with an integrated ecommerce solution, next version has ala cart ad sales, even the ability to use as the front end for hosting reselling. Awesome stuff.
  3. The mobile skin and built in iphone app are definite benefits.
  4. The IP.Content article system being able to promote from forum topic to an article and fully integrate the comments and topic replies is a major plus.
  5. They have a great search system that is fully integrated across the whole system (except for only searching a single IP.Content database at a time) as well as excellent support for Sphinx.
  6. Their gallery is getting a major upgrade, though it lacks meaningful integration with the rest of the system. It's very nice, and works well with the mobile skin/app.
Downsides to IPS:
  1. The 3rd part dev community is very VERY thin. The core products change so frequently, and break skins/mods with incredible rapidity. The end of last year IPS was releasing a major upgrade to one of their apps EVERY WEEK! That has driven a tremendous # of the Mod and skin developers away from the IPS platform simply because they can't afford to be updating everything they do so often. There are currently a LOT more mods for XF already built, than there are 3rd party mods that work with the current version of IPS.
  2. The IPS platform (while it makes vB 4 look like stone tablets and chisels) is somewhat dated, and despite all it's technical capability, feels clunky to me personally. There are a lot of inconsistencies between apps, and the CSS is really hard to work with.
  3. The promise of IP.Content is largely unfulfilled as it's very awkward to deal with. The documentation is quite lacking, and it's flat out hard to work with.
In short: If you like the stock IPS system out of the box you will probably love IPS and it's what you should go with, it's a great product. But if you want to extend it in any significant ways to meet your communities specific needs, you are likely to be fighting an uphill battle and a rough time finding someone to help you with the development, and a rougher time maintaining your customizations. Same for styling, if you don't like the stock skin or a fairly simple variation based on the stock skin, you CAN find some custom skin devs, but they are expensive and maintenance will be a major problem with every app release requiring significant work to maintain the skin multiple times a year. IPS has some very technically capable solutions. IMO They need a better UI designer (little inconsistencies like things not being exactly aligned and the CSS being hard to work with).

XF:

Benefits of XF:

1. XF is FUN. Seems shallow, but using XenForo is a very engaging experience. The #1 goal for a forum (IMO) is to reward people for their efforts. They need to feel appreciated by their peers, they need a sense of affirmation. XF does that better than any system out there, hands down. In my opinion, this is a crucial thing, hard to achieve and absolutely priceless for a community builder.
  2. The community. The XF 3rd party dev community is bursting with energy and people getting mods built. XF is built from the ground up to be modification and styling friendly, that that's a benefit that will draw the modification community in droves..
  3. As XF has been built from the ground up with a fully modern design with a single, well architected CSS styling plan in place, it's very easy to customize the look/feel of the forum. The ability to put virtually ALL your styling changes in a single extra.css file means that XF upgrades have very VERY little impact on custom styles.
  4. Once you get below the surface of the ACP and look at the templating system, you quickly find just HOW powerful the system is. It's designed so that you can take any part of the system and extend it (both templates AND code) without modifying (hacking) the original. Again, that will make it a lot easier for mod developers to maintain their mods ad XF upgrades.
  5. XF is built as a platform like IPS. Kier and Mike have said from the beginning that they will will building a CMS, Gallery etc. Based on the best of breed nature of the Forum component, I have a high confidence level that those components will also be innovative and best of class. Looking at how fast their development cycle is, and how fast they built the whole platform AND the Forum component on top of that platform, I'm willing to bet that other parts of the platform will be available much faster than many people think.
  6. The SEO is superb out of the box, the fully semantic markup is the best we've seen.
Downsides to XF:

1. It's new. As it's not *quite* gold release (though I feel sure that it will be very shortly:)), a lot of Devs are waiting until they have final code in their hands before putting out their mods.
  2. There is a degree on uncertainty regarding the future of XF based on the legal disputes with IB. Personally, after reading the pertinent documents, I think IB is clearly gaming the legal system in an attempt to bleed XF dry before they really get rolling. I think they will fail, but it's a legitimate concern that must be considered as a person who has a BUSINESS building and running a community (as you and Susan and myself do).
  3. XF as a platform is nowhere *near* as comprehensive in functionality as IPS, nor do they have the corporate resources that Invision Power Systems has.
  4. Migrating a complex community to XF is currently going to be a somewhat complex, phased process. To start the process requires a level of faith in the platform and it's future development that many will be uncomfortable with.
Conclusion:

After working with our IPS installation for a couple weeks, getting a feel for what's involved in making it what we want for our community, we came back to take another good hard look at XF. Honestly, I wish it was an easier decision, IPS is a GOOD system, with a ton of capability (esp IP.Nexus if you are selling ads and or any memberships or tangible/digital goods).

In two days we made more progress in XF than we had in 1-2 weeks in IPS. If *we* can do things that much faster, a real developer will be able to give us *far* more bang for our buck, IMO.

At the end of the evaluation we asked ourselves 2 questions:

1. Would you regret going with the other platform later?
    1. If we went with IPS: Yes. We'd always wonder how much better the community would have grown on XF.
    2. If we went with XF: We'd miss the capability of IP.Nexus most. But we built more with XF pages in 1 day than we did with IP.Content in a week.
  2. Which do you think will encourage community participation more?
    1. XF. Hands down. IPS relies too much on blocks to "integrate" things. Likes/Alerts system >> Rep.
As a final reality check we chatted with a developer that's a good friend of ours that both runs his own vB forum and is looking to move. He said that he's looking at XF, and is very excited by the platform. He's never looked at IPS though so that's not a comparison, just an opinion on the XF side.

What it comes down to is both are good systems. VERY good systems. Both make vB 4 look like stone tablets and chisels. But we've been doing this for 5-6 years now, and we've learned that a modern system, built right from the start is a better fit for us. We never... NEVER seem to be able to use an out of the box system, we always push the envelope. For us, that makes IPS less of a good fit than XF.

What about others looking at the same choice? What have you found?

Making changes to my custom skin....? Share those? Meaning you've downloaded our skin from a warez site?!
Haha! :D I have a custom theme that forsaken made for me :P - i only made that reply cause im always trying to improve my sites appeal and not look such like a regular blocky xenforo site...;)

Thank you for this. :) I was planning on going with IP.Board for my upcoming project, but after reading this, I'll definitely be going with XenForo. The "fun" factor of XF and its ability to engage is certainly a primary reason for this, as well as its beauty and simplicity (which is what I'm aiming for with my new forum). It's elegant and very fresh, whereas IP.Board feels like it's caught between the old and the new. XenForo, on the other hand, is edgy and innovative. That's not to say IPB isn't the same way, but I feel as though XF is the future of forums on the net.

To quote the title of this thread....

XenForo vs. IPB/IPS What's your honest opinion?

XenForo vs. IPB/IPS What's my honest opinion?

When buying into a software product, you also have to take into account the company's customer service & the people behind it and so the company in general is what you're really buying into (in my opinion). Because forum software (just as with any online web software) is as good or as bad as the support and development behind it (in my opinion)

My honest opinion of purchasing IPB (IP.Board) which is developed by IPS (Invision Power Services) is based upon my own opinion and personal point of view, based upon my own personal experience from my point of view.

And that opinion is that they are not to be trusted, their product is inadequate, and they have a very negative and seemingly hostile approach.

For example, what does IPB (IP Board) / IPS (Invision Power Services) do when you express your own opinion and personal point of view, based upon your own personal experience from your point of view?

They "may threaten" to sue you....

ipb-ips-threats.webp

What does IPB (IP Board) / IPS (Invision Power Services) do when you express your own opinion and personal point of view, based upon your own personal experience from your point of view?

They "may threaten" to sue you... assuming this e-mail is of course originally from the source it claims it to be from. At this time I have no reason to believe that it is not.

View attachment 38467

Delivered-To: *******@gmail.com
Received: by 10.64.14.19 with SMTP id l19csp248989iec;
Wed, 12 Dec 2012 19:16:09 -0800 (PST)
Received: by 10.52.66.71 with SMTP id d7mr445125vdt.121.1355368568710;
Wed, 12 Dec 2012 19:16:08 -0800 (PST)
Return-Path: <*********@invisionpower.com>
Received: from smtp206.iad.emailsrvr.com (smtp206.iad.emailsrvr.com. [207.97.245.206])
by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id fr5si275153vcb.24.2012.12.12.19.16.08
(version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=OTHER);
Wed, 12 Dec 2012 19:16:08 -0800 (PST)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of ********@invisionpower.com designates 207.97.245.206 as permitted sender) client-ip=207.97.245.206;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of *******@invisionpower.com designates 207.97.245.206 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=*********@invisionpower.com
Received: from localhost (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1])
by smtp50.relay.iad1a.emailsrvr.com (SMTP Server) with ESMTP id 1809E37079D
for <************@gmail.com>; Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:16:08 -0500 (EST)
X-Virus-Scanned: OK
Received: from smtp192.mex02.mlsrvr.com (smtp192.mex02.mlsrvr.com [204.232.137.43])
by smtp50.relay.iad1a.emailsrvr.com (SMTP Server) with ESMTPS id 0389F370795
for <********@gmail.com>; Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:16:07 -0500 (EST)
Received: from IAD2MBX14.mex02.mlsrvr.com ([172.23.11.106]) by
IAD2HUB02.mex02.mlsrvr.com ([172.23.10.66]) with mapi; Wed, 12 Dec 2012
22:16:07 -0500
To: "**********@gmail.com" <**********@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:16:06 -0500
Subject: Invision Power Services
Thread-Topic: Invision Power Services
Thread-Index: Ac3Y4DEZp5kmjuRQRBaCRZ3IfQ4R+A==
Message-ID: <*************@invisionpower.com>
Accept-Language: en-US
Content-Language: en-US
X-MS-Has-Attach:
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
acceptlanguage: en-US
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="**********invisionpowercom_"
MIME-Version: 1.0

*************invisionpowercom_
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Adam,

In spite of several attempts to prevent you from purporting false, inaccura=
te and libelous claims about IPS which can be proven to be damaging to the =
reputation of our company, you have continued your libelous action. I'm afr=
aid your recent posting including a falsified screenshot has crossed a line=
that we simply cannot allow to continue.

As such, we have made the decision to proceed with litigation.

I would not expect you to make it an easy process for us by any stretch, bu=
t I wanted to offer you the opportunity to provide a valid address for the =
purpose of serving paperwork. The address we have is************ - but you initially listed ******* on the account. If tha=
t is an address of your mother, or another relative, I would like to avoid =
needlessly concerning them with having a deputy turn up to serve paperwork.=
If there is a more appropriate address, please feel free to provide it. Fa=
iling that, we will first attempt the address on file and then proceed with=
subpoenas until we're able to successfully serve you.

It is regretful that such action is necessary, however, I do not see any ot=
her option at this juncture. Your behavior has clearly crossed a line that =
can no longer be ignored.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask. I=
f you wish to retain counsel, I would be happy to place our corporate couns=
el, James Richards, in contact with your representation.

Regards,

Lindy Throgmartin
CEO, Invision Power Services, Inc.
Web: ******invisionpower.com<*******invisionpower.com>

My reply....

Do it.
Do it now.

Tons of people either on The Internet or in person (in the real world), both via word of mouth, openly express their personal opinion and experience from their view-point in regards to the products or services they have used or currently use. People write up online reviews and openly inform others with either praise or warnings. Even my 95 year old grandfather has an opinion and something to say about one company or another.

Who hasn't at one time or another said they loved the customer service they received at for example, Verizon Wireless or ATT or T-Mobile or O2. Or perhaps just the opposite such as they may tell their friends, family, and write up an online review claiming how much they think either of those companies, suck.

Indeed within forum software, even on this very site, people daily will tell you what they love, like, dislike, or hate about vBulletin, IPB, BB, and even XenForo. Everyone sharing their opinion from their point of view and their personal opinion of their experience.

And yet you do not see Verizon, ATT, T-Moble, or O2 threatening to sue their current or past customers. Neither do you see vBulletin or XenForo do so either.

Almost a full year ago, IPS (Invision Power Services Inc) in my opinion took my money and ran, when I received a notice claiming I no longer had the valid right to use the software I purchased (24 - 72 hours after the fact of being denied service).

In my opinion and from my own personal experience that was done so on the wrongful misinformation provided by an outside 3rd party and prior leading up to that event, it is my personal opinion and experience that I do believe that I was poorly treated and disrespected by representing staff and that my customer service was not satisfactory.

Further more I personally do believe as a matter of opinion and experience, that you have a strong dislike and the need to control information and the opinion of others. This e-mail in my opinion is just one fine example to that personal believed fact.

I do not believe my opinion or the opinion of anyone else in regards to your company is something you can freely deny or control. Just as everyone is free to write up a positive or negative review for Verizon, ATT, T-Moble, or O2 and comment freely based upon their own personal opinion or experience whenever they see fit.

And at the time of this writing it is my personal opinion and continued experience, to the best of my knowledge that everything ever posted by me is of course truthful. Including my continued belief that you dislike freedom of speech and freedom of information.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year :)

Anyone and everyone who wishes to obtain a copy of the above e-mail, need only send me a PM (personal message) with their e-mail address and I will be willing in the interest of freedom of information to forward you a copy.

On that note and while remaining on topic to this thread... This is one noticeable difference in my opinion between IPB and XenForo.

^^ Source from originally post here: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...ween-xenforo-and-ipb.42226/page-3#post-458166

Anyone and everyone who wishes to obtain a copy of the above e-mail, need only send me a PM (personal message) with their e-mail address and I will be willing in the interest of freedom of information to forward you a copy.

The multiplicity of brain-dead bugs in IPB is unforgivable. The front end writes checks that the back end can't cash -- functionality promised by the interface is simply not there. The way you find this out is trial and error, IPS can't be bothered to compile known bug lists.

Whatever bugs are identified might or might not be addressed in an update or patch. Some have been there for many years. IPB management focus is clearly not on end-user usability or fixing dumb bugs.

Support, however, is first-rate, if you're paying for it.

When buying into a software product, you also have to take into account the company's customer service & the people behind it and so the company in general is what you're really buying into (in my opinion). Because forum software (just as with any online web software) is as good or as bad as the support and development behind it (in my opinion)

My honest opinion of purchasing IPB (IP.Board) which is developed by IPS (Invision Power Services) is based upon my own opinion and personal point of view, based upon my own personal experience from my point of view.

And that opinion is that they are not to be trusted, their product is inadequate, and they have a very negative and seemingly hostile approach.

For example, what does IPB (IP Board) / IPS (Invision Power Services) do when you express your own opinion and personal point of view, based upon your own personal experience from your point of view?

View attachment 39158

^^ Source from originally post here: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...ween-xenforo-and-ipb.42226/page-3#post-458166

lol that's ridiculous.

View attachment 39158

I love libel law suits, complete idiocy. You can not own your reputation and thus when someone says something bad about you or your company, regardless of the effect on your business, you should not be able to take legal action. You can not buy/own your reputation as it is not a rivalrous resource and people have the right to express their own ideas, whether they be true or not. If I went around and convinced everybody that you were a 6' tall bunny rabbit that eats babies, what would I have done? I would have expressed my own personal opinion and allowed others to freely accept or reject it. Unless I was 1) illegally using someone else's property to do so or 2) forcing people to believe it by pointing a gun at their head and saying that they better start saying that you're a bunny rabbit that eats babies or else I will take their life, then there is nothing wrong with what I did. People are allowed to believe the wrong things or right things if they wish, and there is nothing that any SHOULD be allowed to do about it. Unfortunately, some bogus libel laws were created and that brings us to where we're at today.

I love XenForo. But, I want to work with an RP forum. So IPB is nicer from the RP standpoint. For general I like XenForo.

But, IPB's license nwo costs $175. -.-

View attachment 39158

Thought they was suing you for doctoring screen-shots?

http://adminextra.com/threads/ip-board-3-1-x-3-2-x-and-3-3-x-hacked.6125/#post-55607

Same thing........ Threatening to sue for re-posting an expressed opinion of a point of view & experience based upon word of mouth, while including my own expressed opinion and personal point of view, based upon my own personal experience from my point of view with the assistance of a visual example (screen shot). It's no different than posting or re-posting a screen shot of a discovered or believe to be discovered flaw in a cellular phone from O2, Verizon, ATT, or T-mobile or software development such as vBulletin, XenForo, or Burning Board (BB).

Tons of people either on The Internet or in person (in the real world), both via word of mouth, openly express their personal opinion and experience from their view-point in regards to the products or services they have used or currently use. People write up online reviews and openly inform others with either praise or warnings. Even my 95 year old grandfather has an opinion and something to say about one company or another.

Who hasn't at one time or another said they loved the customer service they received at for example, Verizon Wireless or ATT or T-Mobile or O2. Or perhaps just the opposite such as they may tell their friends, family, and write up an online review claiming how much they think either of those companies, suck.

Indeed within forum software, even on this very site, people daily will tell you what they love, like, dislike, or hate about vBulletin, IPB, BB, and even XenForo. Everyone sharing their opinion from their point of view and their personal opinion of their experience.

And yet you do not see Verizon, ATT, T-Moble, or O2 threatening to sue their current or past customers. Neither do you see vBulletin or XenForo do so either.

Almost a full year ago, IPS (Invision Power Services Inc) in my opinion took my money and ran, when I received a notice claiming I no longer had the valid right to use the software I purchased (24 - 72 hours after the fact of being denied service).

In my opinion and from my own personal experience that was done so on the wrongful misinformation provided by an outside 3rd party and prior leading up to that event, it is my personal opinion and experience that I do believe that I was poorly treated and disrespected by representing staff and that my customer service was not satisfactory.

Further more I personally do believe as a matter of opinion and experience, that you have a strong dislike and the need to control information and the opinion of others. This e-mail in my opinion is just one fine example to that personal believed fact.

I do not believe my opinion or the opinion of anyone else in regards to your company is something you can freely deny or control. Just as everyone is free to write up a positive or negative review for Verizon, ATT, T-Moble, or O2 and comment freely based upon their own personal opinion or experience whenever they see fit.

And at the time of this writing it is my personal opinion and continued experience, to the best of my knowledge that everything ever posted by me is of course truthful. Including my continued belief that you dislike freedom of speech and freedom of information.

Everyone has some sad/crazy story about customer service at some company, I wouldn't read too much into it.

I have been using IPB for a project I started mid 2012 and it's been nothing but smooth sailing. Love the product and the features and the IPB community. Now that the lawsuit vs XF is possibly coming to a conclusion it's imho time to look at XF again.

The real problem with IPB lies in its lack of group membership management. So if you run a forum that relies on user groups, then IPB is to 100% the wrong product for you. In IPB only admins can make changes to group memberships which in practical terms means that you cannot delegate group leaders to take care of group management.

I haven't used XF in a while and am too lazy to install my copy of it, but iirc XF deals with groups the same way vB and myBB and phpBB and pretty much everyone else out there does where you can select a group leader and members can freely apply to become members of secondary groups.

So to sum this up; If you do not need secondary groups then IPB is the better product today. If you do need secondary groups then XF is the better product over IPB.

EDIT: Actually I take this back. As it turns out XF doesn't have the vB/myPHP style user group management either, so stay away from XF as well if that is what you need, thus if it's between IPB and XF, considering that both are lacking the secondary group membership feature, I'd still go with IPB today due to it being the more mature product and that there is no uncertainty over future development.

Yes, I did see the group mod that makes groups joinable but that still doesn't duplicate the group leader/approver feature present in vB/phpBB/myBB etc.

In my option XenForo is a lot better than IP.Board. I love simplify of xF as administrator and developer. But there is one thing: I am afraid of the future. XenForo haven't been update for long time, developers don't post on this forum.
What a waste...

@ Adam Howard. We don't know the whole story. You're only showing us a small part of the story. And that's your side. And as most semi-intelligent people know, there is always 2 sides to every story. The problem is, from what I am seeing you are making claims against them (or they feel you are) that are without merit. All for the sole purpose of trying to damage a companies reputation. And it appears they tried to reason with you, and you won't have it. Unfortunately there is a difference between stating an opinion and moving on and going out of ones way to purposely and knowingly damage a company repeatedly, it's reputation, or the reputation of those working for it. Since you have shown only the email responses it really is a one sided story and doesn't say much nor does it say anything about any prior posts here or elsewhere you may have made that may justify your idea of an opinion.

The problem comes when you more than just your opinion here or elsewhere and start stating things they believe are false or grossly wrong. But go out of your way to damage a company. Which of course, involves loss of revenue because of your irresponsible and wreckless actions.

As for if IPB is worth it. It all depends on the purposes of the forum and its members needs.

Some try to vilify IPB or VB. But they fail to look at Xenforos own shortcomings. Some may vilify IPB or VB staff, but fail to look and ignore things here.

Some people have switched their forum or started forums with Xenforo. Some are hoping the lawsuit will play out in Xenforos favor. But if it doesn't, they can still modify and work with the Xenforo software as a base regardless. Some have switched away from Xenforo because of its lack of development and forward movement, as well as its uncertain future.

As I have said elsewhere I like Xenforo and hope it comes out ok. Others do too. Depends how long you want to or can afford to wait and see.

I have licenses for all 3 forum software. (VB, IPB, Xenforo) I've used all 3 extensively. They all 3 have their pluses and minuses regardless of fanboyism.

For me it's currently IPB, Xen, VB in that order. However because of Xens lack of forward movement/progress and very poor communication with its members, for me it's dangerously close to moving into 3rd.

But go with what works for you and your community. Not with what fanboys want you to go with.

I agree with most of that Whitetigergrowl (hello btw! )

I can't agree with the Xen moving to 3rd though position however, no matter the lack of activity here by the devs they have still not come anywhere near the cynical and deliberate screwing over their user base the way vB have in terms of pricing models.

For that reason alone they could never be 3rd to any thinking person.

For me Xen is and will remain #1 as it is just so nice to use, from an end user perspective and from an admin perspective.... I own IPB, and vB licenses also, but nothing comes close for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom