XenForo to vBulletin

HoddzDJ

Okay, I never thought I'd have to type up one of these threads but it is something I feel I have to do! Moving from vBulletin was the best thing I have ever done in my whole time in forum software, and I'm still glad I did it to this day. I have recently been pretty active on the forum on MacRumors.com and they are running vBulletin.

Now, it's the small things that annoy me and XenForo is simply leading the way in forum development and for ease of use they are miles ahead of the competition. Simple things like when you're logged in you click the thread title and you go to the new posts in xF but in vB you're at the top of the first page. I forget these things because xF has made it so simple.

It's almost actually a pain to go from a xF board to a vB board and find your way around. I just thought I'd put this up, as I said it's the little things that you miss.

Okay, I never thought I'd have to type up one of these threads but it is something I feel I have to do! Moving from vBulletin was the best thing I have ever done in my whole time in forum software, and I'm still glad I did it to this day. I have recently been pretty active on the forum on MacRumors.com and they are running vBulletin.

Now, it's the small things that annoy me and XenForo is simply leading the way in forum development and for ease of use they are miles ahead of the competition. Simple things like when you're logged in you click the thread title and you go to the new posts in xF but in vB you're at the top of the first page. I forget these things because xF has made it so simple.

It's almost actually a pain to go from a xF board to a vB board and find your way around. I just thought I'd put this up, as I said it's the little things that you miss.

That's what bothers the most for me too.
I got the same issue at InterMactivity.be :)

*Puts away his shotgun*

Damn your misleading title.

Yeah had the same feeling, I was going to do it with a nice speech though :)

images

But on a totally serious note, I think when my xF license expires in March I think I will go back to vBulletin. The development over there seems to be so much better than xF of late.
*Waits for the shots to come at me...* As if I would do such a stupid think, I know where I'm better off at that's here at xenForo!

Simple things like when you're logged in you click the thread title and you go to the new posts in xF but in vB you're at the top of the first page. I forget these things because xF has made it so simple.
You know that the same function is in vBulletin? You click the little arrow for the newest unread message, and the thread title to read the first message.

Not to say that I disagree with you, but your example wasn't the best one ;)

You know that the same function is in vBulletin? You click the little arrow for the newest unread message, and the thread title to read the first message.

Burn the doomsayer!

Yes it does have the same functionality, and the error is there but it's so annoying when you are used to xF!! Why would you ever want to go directly to the first post, why not always the first unread like in xF!!

Yes it does have the same functionality, and the error is there but it's so annoying when you are used to xF!! Why would you ever want to go directly to the first post, why not always the first unread like in xF!!
Well, that depends on what you are used to. I've used vB for 7 years and was very much used to the way it was there, as were the members. After 8 months with XF I'm slowly getting used to another way of doing things, but sometimes it takes a little while.

vBulletin is painful to use.
vB4's uploading attachments is an epic failure of reasonableness.
vB4's uploading worked a lot better for us:
  • Allows true resizing to whatever KB you set
  • Can set it to default to full size after upload
  • "Upload" from an URL
  • An attachment manager (granted it wasn't the easiest to use but it worked)

IMO where it failed though was the lack of actually being able to find the upload button. New members would always be asking how to upload images as they couldn't find the "Insert Image" button. :confused:

Top Bottom