Lack of interest Xenforo substitute for Reddit flairs? (different flairs for different boards)

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Mave

Of course you have your "user groups".
These are great but are not what I'm after.

What I'm interested in are different flairs per category.
Say you have a Formula 1 node (board). In this board you want Formula 1 driver names to be available flairs (Lewis Hamiltion, Sebastian Vettel, Charles Leclerc,..).
A user could somewhere within that node select his/her flair. The flair would then be visible below the user's avatar only within that specific node.

Xenforo simulation:

kDMs3OP.png

Reddit example:

gDTCVvi.png

In my opinion this helps different nodes have different identities.
Say you have a GTA V discussion node: why not have flairs available like "Lamar" "Michael", "Trevor",..

Of course all flairs should be customizable with css in the admin backend.

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Of course you have your "user groups".
These are great but are not what I'm after.

What I'm interested in are different flairs per category.
Say you have a Formula 1 node (board). In this board you want Formula 1 driver names to be available flairs (Lewis Hamiltion, Sebastian Vettel, Charles Leclerc,..).
A user could somewhere within that node select his/her flair. The flair would then be visible below the user's avatar only within that specific node.

Xenforo simulation:

kDMs3OP.png

Reddit example:

gDTCVvi.png

In my opinion this helps different nodes have different identities.
Say you have a GTA V discussion node: why not have flairs available like "Lamar" "Michael", "Trevor",..

Of course all flairs should be customizable with css in the admin backend.
You can achieve this with thread prefix?

From my knowledge, I don't think an add-on exists to get this done.

You could get something done using custom user fields. One user field per node, could get messy depending on how many nodes you have :).

From there you'd need to hard code in the user field using a conditional inside the post bit.

if forum node = 1, show this custom field for that user
if forum node = 2, show this custom field for that user

Again, rather messy and ideally would work best an add-on but this could work.

The thing is that the flair needs to be tied to the node, not the global forum per se and if you want to replicate the Reddit's flair functionality, they also allow some users to set their own flairs.

I think a custom mod is needed for this one.

The thing is that the flair needs to be tied to the node, not the global forum per se and if you want to replicate the Reddit's flair functionality, they also allow some users to set their own flairs.

I think a custom mod is needed for this one.
Exactly. Although even better than a custom mod would be built-in functionality.

Why was this tagged as "Lack of interest"? I still believe this would be wonderful and I'm sure many would agree.

It's a shame really. It's stuff like this that keeps people interested in forums.
Only in limited topical forums. You'll find many times that what seems a great suggestion to you most will only consider as "fluff" and better served with an add-on since they consider it "bloat" to the code.... which is XF speak for "it would be better served as an add-on because I'd never use it". I have even been guilty at times of having that attitude. Heck, there are suggestions out there that are over a decade old and have over 100 likes that haven't been implemented, and probably won't.

Top Bottom