Design issue Xenforo slow on iPhone iPod touch and iPad

Mikey

Ok, well when JavaScript is enabled in safari on one of these devices any xenforo site I visit is slow. I dosable JavaScript and everything is much faster.

Not sure if this is a bug, figured I'd report it anyway.

Ok, well when JavaScript is enabled in safari on one of these devices any xenforo site I visit is slow. I dosable JavaScript and everything is much faster.

Not sure if this is a bug, figured I'd report it anyway.

That'll be apple, get used to it :D

I also have the problem at the iPod/iPad, and use the enhancements disabled template.

I'm also unable to confirm this on my iPhone or my iPad. Runs as fast as on my desktop or laptop. Doesn't matter if I am running wifi or 3G.

As others have previously said above; it's most likely just cache and how Apple do their stuff.

Anyway, if you want to clear your Cache to see how slow it would be with nothing stored in Cache, clear your Cache by following the below:

Tap Settings > Select 'Safari' > Select 'Clear Cache' > Select 'Clear Cache' when prompted with 'Are you sure you want to clear the cache?'.

I can confirm this on the iPad 1st gen and the iPhone4.

It's very very fast, but .. some pages like post reply come with a significant lag. I wish I could record it in a video. Turning off the js makes it go away - caching doesn't seem to be the case, or help.

When you click on bookmark again the page loads fine, you click on the login dropdown and click on the input field, there it adds 4 seconds to the page load, before you can type. (just an example).

Typing out a new post under advanced editor is fine for me but quick reply comes with lag while typing. The keyboard from phone is fast and responsive, it's the letters on the screen having to catch up or jumpy

This is why xF needs to put in a mobile style to be honest - using it on anything less than 3g is tiresome.

This is why xF needs to put in a mobile style to be honest - using it on anything less than 3g is tiresome.
For me on 3g it's just as fast as on wifi, it's only those few instances where it goes through bunch of js before you can type, ..

I don't know how a style would help. The issue seems to be with how mobile Safari handles JavaScript.

So, it doesn't really seem like an issue on XenForo's side of things.

Well thanks for the replies everyone. It may be some way I have caching set up, or maybe that this is new and I don't have the js cached yet.

As Floris mentioned, its particularly noticable ONLY when we do such things which require javascript or ajax, such as clicking like, or the log in button, loading the alerts dropdown takes a few seconds, but it loads (which is more than can be said for vB4's notifications). Sub forums drop downs on the forum home too, take a few seconds. It may be simply that my cache is empty. posting takes a while too, so does adding a comment on someones profile. Like I said, anything which uses the javascript. Javascript disabled fixed this, but it's such a javascript heavy application that browsing with js disabled is simply not as enjoyable

I'm on wifi on the itouch :)

On my iPad the slow pages occur mostly in the admin section, but sometimes in the rest of board as well. As others have noted I am sure that this has to do with the way the iOS version of Safari handles js, but since the iPad isn't going away any time soon I'd like to address this issue on my board. Would it be possible to setup a skin/style that detects iPhone/iPad and serve a js-free style automatically?
smile.png

I'm sorry if this is a really novice question, but I have just started to look into XenForo after being a vB customer since 2003...

I decided to really put it to the test on my iPhone. Honestly, the only thing that I'm finding slow is typing in the inline editor (large box).
I have tested it on different days, different times during the day, and in the middle of the night (at work).
It lags, big time.

My Droid 2 Global phone runs XenForo very smoothly. It takes a few extra seconds and a bit harder to click on some links, but it performs just fine. If you are experiencing any problems in speed, try going to a different area (www.speedtest.net could help you out in determining if that area is faster; mine is at 0.86 megabit down, 0.44 megabit up with 152ms ping).
So it could be your signal getting slightly distorted while you are online (unless you are connecting through wifi, then it's your phone :p)

Top Bottom