XenForo Server Setup Guide Part 1 (CentOS, OpenLiteSpeed, Percona) (With Pictures!)

XenForo Server Setup Guide Part 1 (CentOS, OpenLiteSpeed, Percona) (With Pictures!)

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Slavik submitted a new resource:

XenForo Server Setup Guide Part 1 (CentOS, OpenLiteSpeed, Percona) (With Pictures!) - An easy to follow quick setup guide for a powerful XenForo server stack. Part 1 of 3

Introduction

This guide is going to explain how to set up a CentOS based server stack with the following configuration:
  • CentOS 6.x
  • OpenLiteSpeed
  • Percona MySQL
A short description of the above setup.

CentOS - Is a Linux distro based off Red Hat, an enterprise level OS, based on security and reliability.

OpenLiteSpeed - Is a new project based on the very powerful LiteSpeed web server. OpenLiteSpeed offers performance similar to Nginx, with a much more...

Read more about this resource...

Excellent timing. I'm planning to get a new server to replace my ubuntu/cherokee/mysql server with a more powerful server.
Look forward to the rest of the guide and thank for the contribution.

Debian uses fewer resources than Cent OS.

If you manage to get Cent OS with a full LAMP install to equal 1 Debian install (with LAMP) out of the box (about 15 MB Ram), I'll be amazed.

However, this does make for a good alternative option and I'm all for people having choices. Thanks for sharing, Slavik :)

Just got a new server and followed all the steps. No problem whatsoever!

How do we go about updating later on?
My host has CentOS 6.3 as the latest version. I see that 6.4 is out. How do I update that?
Same question for percona, openlitespeed, etc.

Just got a new server and followed all the steps. No problem whatsoever!

How do we go about updating later on?
My host has CentOS 6.3 as the latest version. I see that 6.4 is out. How do I update that?
Same question for percona, openlitespeed, etc.

If you ran the steps listed, it should have updated you to 6.4

Run

Code:
cat /etc/*release*

To check what version your on. Hopefully, yum should have updated you to 6.4 when you did the update.

Running the yum update command will keep all the Repo-based stuff up-to-date (basically everything except LiteSpeed).

For that, it will just be a matter of downloading and compiling the new versions as they become available.

Great stuff, Slavik.
This is so much easier than Ubuntu. I'll redo the litespeed when a new version comes out.
Code:
[root@percona ~]# cat /etc/*release*
CentOS release 6.4 (Final)
cpe:/o:centos:linux:6:GA

Great stuff, Slavik.
This is so much easier than Ubuntu. I'll redo the litespeed when a new version comes out.
Code:
[root@percona ~]# cat /etc/*release*
cpe:/o:centos:linux:6:GA

No problem, though, obviously as it currently stands you need to secure the server if you plan on leaving it running for the time being, otherwise, id just shut it down until the next stages are ready :)

Slavik, thank you so much for this guide, it will help me with future server setup builds.
I usually just use cPanel/WHM, but this guide is very useful!
Many thanks!

Hi Slavik,

One thing that maybe good to add, and you may have thought of this already... Make the processes autostart upon a reboot.

Great work.. I'll be using this when I move to xenforo in the next two months :)

Regards,
Emc2

Hi Slavik,

One thing that maybe good to add, and you may have thought of this already... Make the processes autostart upon a reboot.

Great work.. I'll be using this when I move to xenforo in the next two months :)

Regards,
Emc2

That will hopefully be in part 2 of the guide, but will see, I may have to do an "Extra bits" guide also to cover misc stuff.

Slavik
Would be great if you can create a similar guide for CentOS/nginx/PHP-FPM/APC.
Your tutorial makes the whole process so easy and fool-proof.

Slavik
Would be great if you can create a similar guide for CentOS/nginx/PHP-FPM/APC.
Your tutorial makes the whole process so easy and fool-proof.

Maybe, these guides take a LONG time to put together, I think part 1, to record, write, screenshot, edit, crop, upload etc everything took about 4 hours, and thats for something that takes 10 minutes to do...

Maybe, these guides take a LONG time to put together, I think part 1, to record, write, screenshot, edit, crop, upload etc everything took about 4 hours, and thats for something that takes 10 minutes to do...
You can always start with the TLDR version and add pictures later once you have time. I don't think I need pictures at all to get this to work. It's pretty simple and straightforward once you work out all the steps.
I think the people benefit most from your guides are not going to need the pictures at all so that would save you lot of time.

Hey Slavik, thanks for this great tutorial!

Just one question: How is the rewrite working on the Open Litespeed? Is it possible to use a htaccess file or do i have some special rules (like NGINX)?

Hey Slavik, thanks for this great tutorial!

Just one question: How is the rewrite working on the Open Litespeed? Is it possible to use a htaccess file or do i have some special rules (like NGINX)?

The litespeed web panel has a special section for re-writes.

Just copy your htaccess into it and job done :)

So Slavik... do you recommend Open Litespeed over nginx? If so what are the advantages.

Personal preference. Performance wise they are on par. The advantage with Litespeed is that it's considerably more user friendly. However OpenLiteSpeed is new (as whilst it is based off LiteSpeed, it is a independent branch by the looks of it), and i've already found, and reported, several bugs.

I think personally, i'd go with OpenLiteSpeed, even with current issues, in the long run I can see this being the web server of choice for many.

Hmmm, thanks. I am always after "easier", one of the reasons I went centminmod. Definitely something to consider in the future.

I have 2 servers, web and database. I'm using this guide to set up my data server.
I'm using this guide (minus the percona, openlitespeed) to setup my web server where I use nginx. Reasons are: ssl, spdy. At this point, nginx is more mature but I think OLS will get to SPDY and other features in the future.

Top Bottom