XenForo seems like a mini Facebook--

Sure some features have been inspired by Facebook, twitter, etc.

But what I really like about XenForo is that they still manage to concentrate on the forum.

So please don't get lost in too many half baked features that don't improve the actual forum browsing experience.

I mean there's really no point of competing with Facebook or twitter.

Cliques? I haven't noticed any yet.
Being an "outsider", i.e. someone who hasn't owned a vB forum, I have to say this place feels very cliquey to me.

It's obvious that a lot of you know each other from elsewhere and that comes across very much so in a lot of the discussions.

Not saying it's a bad thing but it's still there all the same.

Back on topic, XF feels like a combination of forum, Twitter (News Feed), Facebook (Profile Posts) and blog (Pages) to me.
Essentially the best bits of each one, and that's coming from someone who doesn't really use Facebook, Twitter or have a blog.

Reactions: Lee
Being an "outsider", i.e. someone who hasn't owned a vB forum, I have to say this place feels very cliquey to me.

It's obvious that a lot of you know each other from elsewhere and that comes across very much so in a lot of the discussions.
ah I see where you're coming from, and I'm sorry that it feels that way to a non-vB owner.
HOPEFULLY when we ALL own an xF forum, the cliquey feeling will disappear and we'll all be on the same level. :)

There is definitely something really addictive about this software. The alerts, the easiness of posting, the me-likey button, and I don't know what the deal is with the trophies but I can tell you from long experience that people -- adults -- will just about kill themselves to get one. (The best mod I ever installed was that yet-another-award-system.) I have no idea why I'm spending so much time here, it's insane! It's the crack cocaine of forum softwares.

I SO agree!

There is definitely something really addictive about this software. The alerts, the easiness of posting, the me-likey button, and I don't know what the deal is with the trophies but I can tell you from long experience that people -- adults -- will just about kill themselves to get one. (The best mod I ever installed was that yet-another-award-system.) I have no idea why I'm spending so much time here, it's insane! It's the crack cocaine of forum softwares.

Same here, one moment I am at my sites, the next SMF support site and I landed here and not looking back. :eek:

Agreed. We loved YAAS, but the trophies are even better, esp as I'm pretty sure there will quickly be a mod (if it's not native) to specify an icon for each trophy and show them somewhere in the postbit to give members that feeling of prestige :).

Well put. The interactive-work-flow just works, easy to see the new stuff, catchup on posts and interact effortlessly.

As long as I am able to *turn off* any and all features related to or connected to social media (Facebook & MySpace specifically), I'll be happy to purchase this software. Facebook and MySpace are the two great evil's of the Internet in my opinion.

Facebook integration doesn't happen unless you enter a Facebook application ID, so you're safe there. The only thing that is currently on by default is the Facebook 'Like' button at the bottom of thread pages - removing it would be a simple template edit, but I don't know why anyone would ever want to do so, unless they are running a private, protected site (in which case it wouldn't work anyway)

So there won't be any 'Facebook login' type thing that seems to be so common now? And turning off the 'facebook integration' will be possible?

Not if you don't want it, no.

(Although I would recommend that you do enable it, a large portion of the registrations we've seen here have registered via Facebook)

Not if you don't want it, no.

(Although I would recommend that you do enable it, a large portion of the registrations we've seen here have registered via Facebook)

There are times when such a feature could be considered more or less 'unfavorable'. As with everything, there are arguments for and arguments against. I am a person who prefers to have his options open.

Top Bottom