XenForo Rules: Multiple Accounts

Liam W

in memoriam 1998-2020
I just re-read the rules here...

Point 17 reads:
Each user may only have one account. If duplicate accounts are discovered, the duplicates may be banned.
However, I know many people here have multiple accounts... I'm confused.

So, you're saying that if they're not discovered its technically alright to have them?

Or, if they aren't discovered nothing will happen.
Or, I will pretend I haven't discovered it so nothing happens.

So, you're saying that if they're not discovered its technically alright to have them?

Or, if they aren't discovered nothing will happen.
Or, I will pretend I haven't discovered it so nothing happens.

I think the may would come into play if they feel the accounts are being used for wrong-doing.

I'm saying if we don't know about them then we don't know about them.
Those would be the unknown unknowns. :D
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I know several people on here that use 2 accounts.. One as a company for addons.. styles etc and a second as their personal forum account. I think that's perfectly acceptable to allow.

The rules are stated and allow for you to have one account, that is what is promised to you here so long as you break no other rules. Beyond that, tread lightly...they can do what they want with a second account including ban delete or anything really, it's their site.

To me it's just a heads up letting you know that if you use multiple accounts to troll or gain favor that you will be dealt with and just so that it can't cause any drama...it is stated up front as policy.

On the note of using a second account for a company name, a person is a single entity entitled to one account, a registered business is another single entity which may or may not contain a person who already owns a license and therefor should be allowed it's own account.

If I start up a development and support service and register it as a business in my state, legally that is an entirely different entity than my own person and therefor technically speaking an account for a legal business really has no bearing on your personal account unless I choose to let it be known.

Anyways...that's the way I see things and it's really not that crazy, crazy is living where I live and finding out there is an actual law that specifically say's you can't cross the street on your hands in the capitol.

With most paid solutions that have company forums, even competitors of XF, I always register 2 accounts after notifying the company of my intentions. 1 account for silly talk and my actual client account. I feel more secure and it maintains separation. One of these days I'll take the plunge and use XF.

You might get a few spammers that have multiple accounts. Those that are real won't have more than one account unless they have been hacked or something.
You might be on to something @Liam W

I think this rule is nothing more than combating and warding off abusive folks. That's it, no reason to be reading into it.
To me it's just a heads up letting you know that if you use multiple accounts to troll or gain favor that you will be dealt with and just so that it can't cause any drama...it is stated up front as policy.
Ninja'd by this man. :)

Top Bottom