Xenforo or IP Apps

Bitomule

Hi there!

I've expended some days trying to choose between IP Apps and Xenforo. I've a joomla community site based on kunena + community builder and I want to give my users a better experience.

I can't choose between both, so I want to hear from community why should I choose Xenforo. My thoughs right now:

IPS:

- Tons of features
- 4.0 to be released soon
- Expensive
- Bad reviews about SEO and speed (I understand that this reviews could be fake/stupid)
- Lot's of updates (you have to update frequently)

Xenforo:

- Just a forum with less features but more 3rd party plugins (Question here is, how much missing features?)
- Growing fast
- Less expensive
- Faster
- Better css organization

I know I'm posting on Xenforo so 99% of answers would be to get Xenforo, but I wan't to know why. You can check my current site at unityspain.com but as I said I'm using Kunena, so both Xenforo and IP Board will have like 1000 features more :)

Thanks!

Asking on XenForo Community is like asking directly for responses which weight in XenForo favor. Therefore you should use the demo of IPS and XenForo to determine what software suits you best. Both are good software, with a differentiating feature set.

I've tryed both demos but I still think that I won't know wich one is better until I use them with my community. I've just discovered that IP Board could import directly from kunena but xenforo can't. That's a + for IP Board.

To be fair, I am excited about what IPB 4 would offer, and judging from their previews it looks like they will be at par with XenForo in terms of code organization (except they chose to went with their own framework, but that's another story for another day).

The main question, however, is: What will you be using in your everyday forum management? Are you willing to trade off features for performance?

Answer these two questions, and I think you have your answer. :)

The bottom line of a forum Discussion, Usability, Speed

Mainly for discussion - so you are supporting community to discuss in a easy way.

Speed and Performance

You can see the site list in xenforo and how fast they are.

similarly you can check in IPB site lists.

when i bought xenforo. My comparison was only between VB and Xenforo.

It is funny even the VB community forum loads very slow

IPB has a good sales pitch, but all is not what it seems.

In my opinion their marketing team could sell water to fish, but I would be concerned what exactly was inside that water. Of all forum developments that I know of, to the best of my knowledge, IPB has released more security updates than anyone else (as of lately).

I wrote a review about them here back in August http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1297652

From August 2012 - August 2013, 1 year; IPB official products and services have had a total of 7 security announcements / patches - 1 (link), 2 (link), 3 (link), 4 (link), 5 (link), 6 (link), 7 (link)

Since that review, only 4 months later, they have issued 2 more security updates for their products and services - extra link 1 / extra link 2 <= The second one of those security update being released just 4 days ago.

During that time, XenForo has had 0 (zero) security updates to my knowledge regarding their products and services.

Last edited:
I was on IPB for many, many years. Switched to Xenforo when it came out. Then switched back when the whole lawsuit was going on. Then switched back once I knew Xenforo was going to be around. I love Xenforo for just being first a Forum software. I like a bare bones Forum software. Add-ons are nice but some of us just want a Forum. Second is speed. Xenforo just "feels" so much faster. Third is "SEO". I don't want to have to mess with this stuff, I just want it to work. I use to be a big supporter of IPB. But won't ever go back now. Just love the simplicity and speed.

I've tryed both demos but I still think that I won't know wich one is better until I use them with my community. I've just discovered that IP Board could import directly from kunena but xenforo can't. That's a + for IP Board.

Go with the solution that fits your needs/ community and if IPB ticks more boxes, go with that. Suffice to say, overall I think xenforo is a better, more high quality solution for me but only you can pick which software is best for you.

Go with the solution that fits your needs/ community and if IPB ticks more boxes, go with that. Suffice to say, overall I think xenforo is a better, more high quality solution for me but only you can pick which software is best for you.
Was going to say the same and it's a steal for about £85.

I prefer the addons that IPB has and the things it includes, but for a forum I prefer XenForo. If you want a forum but with a slight bit of website the weight may push to IPB but it is all personal preference. I stayed with XF.

I prefer the addons that IPB has and the things it includes, but for a forum I prefer XenForo. If you want a forum but with a slight bit of website the weight may push to IPB but it is all personal preference. I stayed with XF.
In my opinion, the add-on development in XenForo is better. When I was using IPB I had update just about every add-on or style for each small point release update (3.4.1, 3.4.2, 3.4.3, ect....). Upgrading IPB become very problematic and time consuming. While with XenForo it's virutally non-evenful.

Best of all the ratio of quality free and paid ad-ons is well balanced.

With IPB it seemed to me like I needed a blank, open ended check-book, with deep pockets. Because not only was IPB products and services costly, renewing every 6 months (twice a year), so was the support, and so were the add-ons.

With XenForo the renewal is only $40 once a year, support is included at no extra cost, the support forums are actually helpful too, and the ratio of add-ons is fair. :)

From August 2012 - August 2013, 1 year; IPB official products and services have had a total of 7 security announcements / patches - 1 (link), 2 (link), 3 (link), 4 (link), 5 (link), 6 (link), 7 (link)

Since that review, only 4 months later, they have issued 2 more security updates for their products and services - extra link 1 / extra link 2 <= The second one of those security update being released just 4 days ago.

During that time, XenForo has had 0 (zero) security updates to my knowledge regarding their products and services.
I see this post every time someone mentions IPS here. However I seem to fail to understand what point you are trying to convey? Are you suggesting that IPB is insecure? Surely the IPS line has became more secure? Besides, you ignore the fact that some of the patches were based on feedback from security audit firms and IPS own security audits. Are you suggesting IPS should not release them and wait until IP. Board owners get their forums compromised? I see it positively, but perhaps it is just me.

I see this post every time someone mentions IPS here. However I seem to fail to understand what point you are trying to convey? Are you suggesting that IPB is insecure? Surely the IPS line has became more secure? Besides, you ignore the fact that some of the patches were based on feedback from security audit firms and IPS own security audits. Are you suggesting IPS should not release them and wait until IP. Board owners get their forums compromised? I see it positively, but perhaps it is just me.
It is my opinion that if IPB was properly coded and secure, it would not turn up so many security flaws, as compared to all the many other forum developments that I am aware of such as vBulletin, XenForo or Burning Board to name just a few.

Whom to the best of my knowledge (vBulletin, XenForo, Burning Board) has not released nor found as many security concerns causing the need to plug up security holes, as much as IPB has needed.

Of course if you personally believe in your opinion that this is a good thing, that IPB has required more security updates than vBulletin, XenForo, or Burning Board... We clearly have a difference of an opinion in regards to security.

It is my opinion that if IPB was properly coded and secure, it would not turn up so many security flaws, as compared to all the many other forum developments that I am aware of such as vBulletin, XenForo or Burning Board to name just a few.

Whom to the best of my knowledge (vBulletin, XenForo, Burning Board) has not released nor found as many security concerns causing the need to plug up security holes, as much as IPB has needed.

Of course if you personally believe in your opinion that this is a good thing, that IPB has required more security updates than vBulletin, XenForo, or Burning Board... We clearly have a difference of an opinion in regards to security.

out of the thread.

Just today i know about Burning Board Forum, surprisingly xenforo and Burning Board both in many styles look alike. Like tool tips, plugin store like resources. is both are same company ?

out of the thread.

Just today i know about Burning Board Forum, surprisingly xenforo and Burning Board both in many styles look alike. Like tool tips, plugin store like resources. is both are same company ?
They are not the same company. I do see some similarities, but overall the are completely different. I've tried them both and XenForo was still faster. I believe this is because of the editor that Burning Board uses (ckeditor) which is much larger in file size.

What features do you need? For example, there is no import from Kuena to xF directly, not sure if you can use an intermediary (like vBulletin, phpBB or similar). Also, AFAIK, there is no xF <-> Joomla user bridge. You need to figure out what you need before you can decide what is best for you.

Top Bottom