Xenforo on Dedicated Server

TheStrangeCat

Hi XF community,

I am very clueless on how to what I will need to configure on my server before trying xenforo

Could anybody advise me on where to start and what I will need?

Apologies if this is the wrong section, or bad questions.

PM me for skype details.

Thanks

XenForo works on the most basic shared hosting.

Larger, busier sites will obviously require more adequate hosting.

Other than that, you need a domain (URL).

Where would be the best place to read up on MySql setup and Apache, etc

I've read through several guides on the web to get a vague idea of the things required on the server, but not sure where to begin.

If you start your forum on shared hosting, the setup will mostly be superficial, and you'll be up and running quickly. Find a managed hosting solution at this point--this will allow you to concentrate on getting your forum running. If it becomes successful and busy down the road and you need to upgrade hosting, then you can start looking at other options.

If you start your forum on shared hosting, the setup will mostly be superficial, and you'll be up and running quickly. Find a managed hosting solution at this point--this will allow you to concentrate on getting your forum running. If it becomes successful and busy down the road and you need to upgrade hosting, then you can start looking at other options.

I've been allowed access to a server from work - it's not shared so I can do whatever I want with it :)
Problem is that it's unmanaged ofcourse - so I really don't know where to begin, just been reading some tutorials and stuff to try to gain an understanding of what is required

There is a script on the purchase page which you can run on the server to confirm it is compatible.

Other than that, your questions are better suited elsewhere pre-sales doesn't cover server set up and configuration.

i've set up a xenforo at arvixe on their $4 dollar plan. http://www.arvixe.com/linux_web_hosting and i asked them to set it up for me. they have unlimited diskspace, unlimited datatransfer. (i haven't encountered any limits, but i can imagine that unlimited has its limits in some way. So far however it all works. and their support is great and follows up on requests)

It's only $4 so i didn't expect much and still it works nice. Their reporting tool notifies me that i am bieng limited and i can look at the details. 2015-06-10 14_30_36-cPanel X - Internet Explorer.webp

I also have a windows server account for about 2 year and except for a DDoS attack at some point (which did interfere but not kill access) they really did/do a good job.

i also have good results with namecheap. (www.namecheap.com) have been using their services for 10 years...
maybe thos will help you in testing/deciding

Last edited:
One of the best setup is the Centmin Mod from @eva2000. You can read in detail a lot of info and of course the automated setup of your server.
http://centminmod.com/
thanks for the mention.. FYI, next release has a lot of changes so some folks might want to wait or test the beta release

but yes, I know of several dozens of Xenforo forums now running on Centmin Mod LEMP web stack including my own forums :D

@TheStrangeCat if you're clueless, best advice is setup live forums on managed hosting first and setup a test copy of your live forums on an unmanaged vps and play and learn the ropes with whatever web stack you choose - once you're familiar with unmanaged side and confortable, you can do switch of live forums from managed to unmanaged. May take you months or years but if you want to learn.. probably best way. It's how I learnt :)

Last edited:
but yes, I know of several dozens of Xenforo forums now running on Centmin Mod LEMP web stack including my own forums :D
Well, we'll see how good CentOS is for sure now. I am going with a ServerComplete setup and saving me about $300 a month over what I was paying. Have moved both my XenForo sites over to it and my blogs and my 2 myBB forums.

Now, all you need to get CentMin to do is configuring virtual email hosts also.
yoyo.gif

I just got done battling that and finally have it working. Was NOT fun.

Now, all you need to get CentMin to do is configuring virtual email hosts also.
yoyo.gif

I just got done battling that and finally have it working. Was NOT fun.
Hence why i prefer to not deal with email issues - too many factors outside of my control for mail delivery not happening - rather not troubleshoot such for Centmin Mod end users. Just use 3rd party email providers is the easiest and most reliable and plenty of options https://community.centminmod.com/threads/free-yourdomain-com-email-accounts-alternatives.280/ :)

Well, we'll see how good CentOS is for sure now. I am going with a ServerComplete setup and saving me about $300 a month over what I was paying. Have moved both my XenForo sites over to it and my blogs and my 2 myBB forums.
nice :)

Hence why i prefer to not deal with email issues - too many factors outside of my control for mail delivery not happening - rather not troubleshoot such for Centmin Mod end users. Just use 3rd party email providers is the easiest and most reliable and plenty of options https://community.centminmod.com/threads/free-yourdomain-com-email-accounts-alternatives.280/ :)
I've just gotten into the habit of doing all the mail myself - prefer to keep that control for me. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be - but it was involved.

As someone who was/is also clueless and just got the whole thing set up for me: I used the Xenforo installation option where they do it for you, and Nimbus hosting who are much more expensive than the ones you mentioned, but are extremely helpful and patient when it comes to silly questions from people who don't know what they are doing, and they have experience in dealing with Xenforo so they know what's what. Between Xenforo and Nimbus, I didn't have to do anything at all to get my forums up and running except customize the styles a bit. If you can do everything yourself then that's great, but if you can't there are other options out there :)

Not for nothing, but based on your original questions I don't think Digital Ocean (or any unmanaged server) is a good place for you. Or for anyone who isn't well-versed in server management and security and doesn't enjoy spending half of their waking hours keeping up with changes to server management and security.

When you use an unmanaged server it's up to you to keep the bad guys out, and the default installations of most LAMP components will not keep the bad guys out.

I suppose it depends on how much you think your time is worth, but I'd guess that 99% of the people reading this should never host anything on an unmanaged server. You know, in my never humble opinion. For what it's worth and all that.

Not for nothing, but based on your original questions I don't think Digital Ocean (or any unmanaged server) is a good place for you. Or for anyone who isn't well-versed in server management and security and doesn't enjoy spending half of their waking hours keeping up with changes to server management and security.

When you use an unmanaged server it's up to you to keep the bad guys out, and the default installations of most LAMP components will not keep the bad guys out.

I suppose it depends on how much you think your time is worth, but I'd guess that 99% of the people reading this should never host anything on an unmanaged server. You know, in my never humble opinion. For what it's worth and all that.

I don't know about the other 99%, but I only use unmanaged linode VPS

Then again, I run linux, nginx, php-fpm, mariadb with custom defenses, and kernel hardening.

Top Bottom