XenForo is doing a favor to vBulletin and IPB

MilesDB

Judging from the positive response XenForo's release has recieved, one can tell that admins are still eager to be involved in the board world despite behemoths like FaceBook and MySpace sucking their users out. XenForo is a breath of fresh air that lets admins do so and in a way save the board market. vBulletin and IPB now need to get in the innovation bangwagon to transform and grow. Big boys, don't forget to thank XenForo for giving you another extention on your lease of life. :)

Judging by the positive response XenForo's release has recieved, one can tell that admins are still eager to be involved in the board world despite behemoths like FaceBook and MySpace sucking their users out. XenForo is a breath of fresh air that lets admin do so and in a way saves the board market. vBulletin and IPB now need to get in the innovation bangwagon to transform and grow. Big boys, don't forget to thank XenForo for giving you another extention on your lease of life. :)

The forums had the conversations and they lost it to MySpace and Facebook etc because they stagnated big time.

The odds favor the Giants like MySpace and Facebook to continue and increase their domination. :confused:

IPB has already responded to the challenge with Matt Mecham announcing some cool stuff to happen and I believe he is talking to the graphics community over there about their thoughts on the skinning engine. Think it's the first time, don't believe vB's hype, that Invision have had to play catch up in quite sometime. That's got to be good news for all Board Admins in the long run.

I really really hate Facebook with a passion given their approach to user details and information.

I think the ideas introduced here can only be a good thing to someone like IPB who already have a well established platform with products... if it enhances the overall solution, it is good. If it detracts in other areas... not so good.

Well as a member of IPB and liking the direction and have been a user of vB that didn't like that direction XenForo for me is a great thing. Competition always works best for those of us that own the software.

Matt hasn't been waiting for xF though.. he released a sneak peek of the new gallery coming out and as he put it version 3 was to get the framework done, 3.1 added some function and now 3.2 will polish it.. The new gallery version is slick and I like it.. now to see if these slick, polished features can translate to the core, and the rest of the apps..

There are many features I see here that I would love to see over at IPB, and I would consider switching to xF when Gold came out because I know these guys are sinking their hearts into it and will make it great, but I moved from vB to IPB in April and I just can't justify that move again with my community..

So, for now.. let's hope competition sparks good things in both IPB and xF and that this last stand vB/IB has is really a last stand.....

Jamie

Well as a member of IPB and liking the direction and have been a user of vB that didn't like that direction XenForo for me is a great thing. Competition always works best for those of us that own the software.

Matt hasn't been waiting for xF though.. he released a sneak peek of the new gallery coming out and as he put it version 3 was to get the framework done, 3.1 added some function and now 3.2 will polish it.. The new gallery version is slick and I like it.. now to see if these slick, polished features can translate to the core, and the rest of the apps..

There are many features I see here that I would love to see over at IPB, and I would consider switching to xF when Gold came out because I know these guys are sinking their hearts into it and will make it great, but I moved from vB to IPB in April and I just can't justify that move again with my community..

So, for now.. let's hope competition sparks good things in both IPB and xF and that this last stand vB/IB has is really a last stand.....

Jamie

Jamie you should have heard the "oh no here we go again" moans from Skinners when Matt started talking 3.2. It's simply impossible for the larger skinning sites to keep up with the Invision release schedule considering each release contains major changes to the underlying skinning templates and CSS. I already know of one major skin provider who has walked away from Invision due to this, and am pretty sure there will be more following. At the moment I am very tempted to join the exodus due to issues with the current skin upgrade I am doing. When you have not only the forums but also all the associated products to upgrade then it's no longer a simple matter of a couple of hours per skin.

If you believe IPB aren't reacting to Xen's look and feel then good on ya no problems to me.

Well, you have to realize I speak only from an admin aspect... :) I ran a vB forum and was content to just download mods if I needed them and run a community and make them happy..

Then vB 4.0 hit and I got vocal.. started to look into the company that my community was based off of and didn't like it.. now I am over at IPB and things are good, although I do like what I see here, as I stated before, I just can't justify another move for my community just yet..

So, any opinions I have are one from a lowly admin.. I can tweak styles and mess with small time code changes, but a designer I am not. Just look at my site! It needs help!

I do understand where you're coming from though and did hear and see some in the IPB forums talk about the release schedule and such, and can understand where they are coming from. I think all players, IPB, xF and vB will gain insight from each other.. it's the nature of business.

Jamie

IPB has already responded to the challenge with Matt Mecham announcing some cool stuff to happen and I believe he is talking to the graphics community over there about their thoughts on the skinning engine. Think it's the first time, don't believe vB's hype, that Invision have had to play catch up in quite sometime. That's got to be good news for all Board Admins in the long run.

I really really hate Facebook with a passion given their approach to user details and information.

Ya I'm not too fond of it, but I can't seem to win against people using it. I can try to explain it, but seems like lots of people are sucked into it now.

I don't like it myself, but I am barley using it to promote my website. Other than that... I don't care for it too much.

I made a switch as recent as August (to vB4), and I have no issues explaining to my users that when we get a nicely working gallery, an arcade mod, and a bloggin/CMS solution, we're moving again, because XF will just give them a far better experience, will be faster, and much easier to administrate.

I've already pointed some of my staff to XF, and all of them absolutely love it and are extremely excited about a potential move.

I've learned that at times it's better to accept losses incurred by decisions that in hindsight were not the best, and cut your losses, rather than trying to make do. In the long run, making do will always cause you to loose even more. I'm not going to sulk over having poured hundreds of dollars into vB4 and related products (vBSEO, vBGallery, and several other mods), but am looking forward to cutting costs when I switch to XF. I'll have no problem letting my userbase know that either, and I'm sure they'll back me for the full 100% on this :)

I really don't think IPS has anything to worry about if they're committed to develop a solution that makes their customers happy, and not piss skinners off. This is, however, a wake up call to IPS to start developing and evolve their product into a finer "luxury" item, if you know what I mean.

vB 4.0 IMO has been quite a disaster. I had IPB running previously as well and was somewhat impressed. XenForo has the feel and appearance of being a generation ahead so I am quite tempted to move my community to it. I only heard about it due to vb's legal threats.

Top Bottom