- vbulletin will be forced to create a better product
- xenforo will be forced to create a better product
In the end, we all win.
vbulletin does have the upper hand
- a trusted brand; even with the current problems people still trust the name
- member base is huge - most don't even know about the problems
The question we should be asking...
How can xenforo compete against the big companies like vBulletin and IPB?
1)__ Start building your Brand - the biggest asset it has is the staff. But this can only take you so far...
- make it easy for people to spread the word - send-to-friend email?
- offer a newsletter? Why force people to register / subscribe to forum?
- banners to share on sites, etc ... it will help others become aware of the brand
2)__ Build for those who can spread the word - developers, programmers, web designers, etc. Start working on a marketplace, on new policies, etc ... even if it's just on paper or just taking input from members. It's important to show them how serious you are in working with them.
3)__ Ensure that a smooth upgrade is possible. (eg. SEO ) Changing features and interface is one thing but making it difficult for people to transition from one software to another because of indexed pages, URL rewrites, etc can be detrimental to growth. (Not everyone will have the knowledge to do this on their own.)
4)__ Get many eyes on the software. This is possible by targeting large sites. If you can convert large sites you will...
- expose the brand to many people.
- increase word-of-mouth.
(for education purposes only ... the same can apply to other endeavors)