XenForo Friendly URL's, question for Kier or Mike

mrGTB

Just wondering what made either Kier or Mike include the Thread ID at the end of the Thread Title using a Dot (full stop) as a separator like this below.

threads/demo-thread.1728/

Why go with: .1728/

Just wondering what the thinking is behind it? And why you didn't use something like this instead.

threads/demo-thread/1728/

or this:

threads/1728/demo-thread/

4) If we separated the id from the title with a dash, you could end up with this: /threads/my-phone-number-is-0800-111-111-1234, which is clearly not good. Our URLs would represent that as /threads/my-phone-number-is-0800-111-111.1234, removing the ambiguity as well as possible.

I do agree on using a Dot, instead of using a Backslash to separate the Thread ID. Makes good sense.

But what about the problem of duplicate content? That's why the thread id is included in the url to avoid that happening. Two threads with same title used.

Your example:
1 xenforo-friendly-urls-question-for-kier-or-mike.html
2 xenforo-friendly-urls-question-for-kier-or-mike.html

Kiers example:

1 xenforo-friendly-urls-question-for-kier-or-mike.123
2 xenforo-friendly-urls-question-for-kier-or-mike.124

this absurd > threads/xenforo-friendly-urls-question-for-kier-or-mike.1889/
The best > xenforo-friendly-urls-question-for-kier-or-mike.html

XenForo is not a blogging software that is managed by one person. If you remove id from thread url rewrites then you will face problems in future because two members can create same title thread very easily. That's why all forum systems will require id within their thread url rewrite settings.

This is standard in any forum solution.

Or indeed any site dealing with a lot of data. It's also very handy to use system-wide unique numbers, across all content types (threads, posts, members, etc). Having completely unique numbers allows generification of your data flow and access: everything from Memcache retrieval to an array in JavaScript.

Or indeed any site dealing with a lot of data. It's also very handy to use system-wide unique numbers, across all content types (threads, posts, members, etc). Having completely unique numbers allows generification of your data flow and access: everything from Memcache retrieval to an array in JavaScript.

True. I don't know how/if XenForo uses datastores yet, and I think it'll be implemented sometime down the line.

The  friendly urls may not friend wiht utf-8  encoded chinese urls path.  My server hoster is running apache 1.3.33. The mod_rewrite module dosn't work with chinese character. Is possible for xF has an option to turn to ugly url?

As I tested this forum, it wokrs wiht chinese url path. Should any one suggest a hosting partner? 

I think an advantage of including it earlier is that renamed threads can still be found.

/thread-123/This-is-the-ogninal-thread

renamed to:

/thread-123/This-is-the-original-thread

should still link to the correct thread if you go to the old url (ie. ignore the thread name and just grab the number.

For SEO you could put a perm redirect in the case of the thread title being wrong.

I think an advantage of including it earlier is that renamed threads can still be found.

/thread-123/This-is-the-ogninal-thread

renamed to:

/thread-123/This-is-the-original-thread

should still link to the correct thread if you go to the old url (ie. ignore the thread name and just grab the number.

For SEO you could put a perm redirect in the case of the thread title being wrong.

True, I agree with it.

Reasons:
People read left to right (well, we do in English).
Therefore, better to see /threads/thread-title
than /threads/{meaningless-number}-thread-title
Sorry, but after thinking about this for several days, I do not find this a fair or accurate comparison. I am not a programmer but an English speaker with a degree in literature. (Who reluctantly has learned something about SEO, HTML and all that.) I agree with the "dot instead of dash or slash" argument. But I cannot agree with this "words before numbers" argument. As I see it, the more accurate comparison is:

/threads/meaningless-thread-title.{meaningless-number}
/threads/{meaningless-number}.meaningless-thread-title

And I personally would put it this way:
greatbritain/london/streets/baker/221.attn-sherlock-holmes-unless-moriarty-pinches-it-first

Honestly please, the so-called "thread title" that we end up with in these URLs is not meaningful to nobody except "maybe" a search engine. (Pardon my English.) Whenever I use these URLs, I am mainly looking to lop off the silly words. (Which I cannot even make out, beyond the extreme end of my address bar.) Also, seems to me likely that soon, if not already, the proprietary and ever-changing search engine algorithms will stop reading long URLs after a certain amount of words.

Suppose I find a thread with important information. I like to post the URL for my friends in my blog, on my howto website, etc. I like the fact that I can edit--or entirely remove--the words. Also, to my knowledge. making your URLs friendly to people who want to link to your site--but whose "hypertext" you cannot control--is where the real SEO power comes. Also sometimes you can post on newsgroups and get into an important high-ranking archival site--in which case you can not choose any "hypertext" but just the naked URL. Obviously, you want to pare this down to the essential SEO-value words for your context. Otherwise you will annoy people with your over obvious SEO-gimmicky auto-generated URL.

And so I suggest the text should go at the end because then the human eye, which does indeed read left-to-write, much more easily sees what part he can chop down or lop off, as desired. And because the machines involved really do not care.

The only thing I don't like is the length of url titles. I hope there's a way to limit/crop the length of titles.
I second the motion. There are 3 obvious ways this might be done.

1. An admin option for x number of words maximum to show in the URL.

2. And / or : maintain a database of "most commonly searched words"--which database can further be reduced by each forum according to the forum's subject matter--and thus program the XF to pick out the most search-relevant words for the URL and for each forum.

3. Or (ideally) TWO title/subject fields for the "new thread":
Title (subject or main point): ___[very limited length]___
Subtitle (details or reason why?) ____[longer character length]_____

"Title" and "Subtitle" are then combined on the XF forum display list. I.e. the resulting thread list "looks" the same to humans as it does now... But in the URL, only the "title" is used...

Please note that suggestion 3 ameliorates TWO ubiquities:

a. Reduces URL length, to feed only the most meaningful words to search engines. (Human chosen.)
b. Encourages members to make more effort to create a useful title. I.e., instead of the usual "Please help!" or "How about this?"--just maybe more people will say what they are talking about in the "subtitle." Thus more people can know whether they are interested without having to click on half the titles!

Also, in my opinion, it is better for long-term SEO relevance to be "human chosen." You do not usually have a prayer to show up on the first page of search results for the "most searched" terms. Forums have a distinct advantage in the SEO game in that they generate "new" terms not yet optimized for--and also use "niche" terms that no SEO expert bothers with.

I.e., while encouraging each forum participant to "human choose" the most relevant words to his discussion (by requiring a short title), perhaps you might maximize the unique "niche" SEO capability of forum software, as well as increase human friendliness (by requiring a subtitle).

The ID at the end is just personal taste, it doesn't matter how you argue it. I prefer it at the end..maybe because I came from software that placed it at the end. Others prefer something similar to vBSEO or Wordpress. I think at this point, any changes to the URL structure would just be a headache for anyone that is already using XenForo live...so I would hope that no changes would be made for personal preference reasons.

IIRC, they used to chop off the fluff words before xF was released but they changed it so no words are dropped. I suspect this is because Google does use the url to match the search term so those "fluff words" do count. I was initially against this but have noticed an improvement in search engine traffic.

If you hate long URLs, you can actually cut out all the words and the resulting URL will 301 to the original. You can even change all the words, it's the ID that counts.
eg: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-friendly-urls-question-for-kier-or-mike.1889/
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/kier-stepping-on-muffins.1889/
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/1889/

I'm sure in due time, there will be an add-on that will allow you to modify URLs however you want.

Top Bottom