1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a Bug XenForo Doesn't Recognize Some Symbols as Different

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Amaury, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Ran into this issue on @mistypants' KH-Vids site and decided to do personal testing.

On Misty's site, where there are a lot of users, if you want a name that's already taken, you can get around it by doing things like Amαury (notice that the second A is acrylic) or A m a u r y. However, the former -- using acrylic letters or letters with accents over them -- does not always work.

I had requested a name change to Simbα because there was already a user named simba, and Simba would have made no difference, which didn't work. I then asked Misty to try Símba and Simbá, both of which didn't work, so I just went with S i m b a.

Doing personal testing on KH-Flare, I renamed Test Account to Simba. Now, if I also want to be named Simba, and I input it as Simbα, Símba, or Simbá, I get the following error, which says the name's already in use even though it's not:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    Amaury likes this.
  3. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

4. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

The second 'A' is α which is 'alpha', the first letter of the Greek Alphabet. You may have been thinking of the Cyrillic Alphabet which is used in Russia. Acrylic isn't an Alphabet, in simple terms it's a type of plastic. ;)
    Liam W and Amaury like this.