• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

XenForo Documentation - User Guides

• Thread starter Thread starter Floris
  • Start date Start date
F

Floris

We've been prepping the user-guides for a while, and have written additional sections. But we have to start somewhere. We've also marked up the Pages node, so it's to our liking. And yes, we will be publishing these instructions once we have a bit more user experience under the skin (so hopefully those instructions are as good as they go).

Nix has been helping write the documentation, and I've helped make the Page node markup and putting it all together.

Today on XenFans.com we've started with the first batch and made it public.

You can view it here: http://xenfans.com/pages/how-to-begin/

It's a resource for everybody, but our work. We will of course update it as we get feedback, correct what is perhaps wrong (things changed during alpha->beta->final stage) and we will extend on it with video @ vimeo walkthroughs that are good quality, short and simple.

Linking to the content from your site is obviously appreciated, you might think it benefits your members, help your staff, or yourself, to learn more about XenForo.

Users are of course also welcome to write up something and submit it to us, we have no problem giving you full credits.

Videos if we embed them are free to be remotely embedded.

Text and images however is our work, we rather you consider fair-use than blatantly copy/paste everything. If you do desire to link to it all, please contact us on contact@xenfans.com for written permission. Those who ask get a lot further!

The user-guide is finished for 25% which is the part: how to begin.
Tomorrow we will make another 25% public, which will be: all about posting.
By the end of the weekend we will have hopefully finished the whole user-guide section, covering 'your account preferences' section and the 'social' section.

I think it's worth a mention. As we worked hard on it, and we hope it is a useful resource to you and your members.

Future user-guides are hopefully crowd sources, and we populate those as we run into those questions. So don't be shy to ask for anything. We will do our best to make easy to understand documentation for newcomers to the board. Which can be a resource for your staff.

Enjoy! http://xenfans.com/pages/documentation/

Thats pretty nifty, thanks.

Will these be available for us to add to our own sites or do we have to link to xenfans for our own users to access?

Floris,
On the part about avatar size, you have it slightly incorrect
you wrote "In the first box you can upload your chosen picture to become your avatar from your computor and it is recommended that it is no bigger than 200x200pixels. "

It should be "at least 200x200 pixels"

Thats pretty nifty, thanks.

Will these be available for us to add to our own sites or do we have to link to xenfans for our own users to access?
We're still building it and deciding on things. People are free to link to it and use a portion of it if they need something specific (in non commercial use) or just embed the vimeo or youtube videos.

Users who want to fully link or copy everything can contact us and Im sure we can work something out.

Users can't re-use this and re-distribute it as their own work, or commercially use it. Sounds a bit unfair.

If you have a suggestion: ears are open

Floris,
On the part about avatar size, you have it slightly incorrect
you wrote "In the first box you can upload your chosen picture to become your avatar from your computor and it is recommended that it is no bigger than 200x200pixels. "

It should be "at least 200x200 pixels"

And this is why we don't write documentation while drinking .. good find! Will update it in a bit.

I intend on doing the same for my users, but I was going to add it to the help system already built in once I figure out how. I'd also like it to be permissions based so only the users can see the parts relevant to them, moderators would see more and so on.

Hence my asking if this might be available under some sort of license that we could download and add to our site, of course giving full credit to those that did the actual heavy lifting.

Great work guys!
Saves me a job as I was planning to do something very similar.

O/T: On the avatar size, I think the text is slightly misleading about it needing to be "at least 200x200 pixels" as the maximum avatar size that is displayed on the profile page is 192x384 pixels.

Fantastic Work Florin. I am just waiting for Developer's Guides :)
Study the code^^
That's THE BEST way to learn it;)

Guides are nice and very comfortable if you're lacy, but who knows if the author knows what he's doing.
I had very bad experience with some articles at vb.org (unnecessary code / simple things made very complicated, ...) So it's not "nice" if you just copy&paste the articlecode.

Hope there will be a official documentation^^

Glad you all seem to like it. Yes there are a few tweaks here and there that need sorting out and hopefully they will be done by the weekend if all goes well :)

Nice work. Small suggestion: underline for titles can give the impression of a hyperlink, in most cases bold and/or increase in size should be enough :)

Today we've made the second block public. The user-guide > All about posting : http://xenfans.com/pages/all-about-posting/

Looking forward to feedback.

Nice work. Small suggestion: underline for titles can give the impression of a hyperlink, in most cases bold and/or increase in size should be enough :)

I thought the same, I've added it to my todo list to review :)

Fantastic Work Florin. I am just waiting for Developer's Guides :)

It's Floris :p But that's ok. I have some ideas for the developer guide, but so many users are already publishing great content, that I think we will either ask their permission to post it with full credits, or just link to their contribution on xenfans.com, their own site, or xenforo.com

Great work guys!
Saves me a job as I was planning to do something very similar.

O/T: On the avatar size, I think the text is slightly misleading about it needing to be "at least 200x200 pixels" as the maximum avatar size that is displayed on the profile page is 192x384 pixels.

If you have any information you can share let me know :) I am sure we can work together and discuss what we can do about sharing the content with the public, as I am currently still undecided.

In regards to the avatar, I think it's based on the text provided by XenForo, perhaps report it to Kier to review?

Would XenCarta wiki serve as a better tool for Xenforo documentation ?
Do you think many people would contribute to the Documentation wiki ?

That addon looks promising, it's certainly worth considering. However, XenForo and that plugin are both rather new and I consider them both beta at this point. I've watched the thread so we can keep an eye on its development, and that also gives us some time to consider and discuss it internally.

Top Bottom