Xenforo.com goes black after long idle

Brett Peters

I have been using Safari recently so I have not tested this with other browsers but after a long idle the whole screen goes black on xf until I refresh the page or do some weird highlighting.
Found it a bit weird as this does not happen on my xf site. (__EDIT__ IT does go black on my site, Must be a Safari thing)

Anyone else notice that Xenforo.com goes black after long idle ?

Never experienced that, and I have been using Safari since 2005.

Safari on Mac or Windows? If it's Windows, it honestly sounds like it's a combination of the browser and your graphics drivers.

If you could, try disabling all the plugins (including flash) in Safari and see if the issue still occurs.

I've seen it with Safari on Lion - smells like a rendering bug to me, and I would not be surprised to find it fixed in OS X 10.7.1.

I've seen it with Safari on Lion - smells like a rendering bug to me, and I would not be surprised to find it fixed in OS X 10.7.1.
Yeah I am waiting on at least 10.7.1 or 10.7.2 before upgrading to Lion. I'm just not keen on having any of my essential apps break by upgrading before the kinks are worked out. There's also the flash issues...

Now I am provoked to just load a default install in vmware of lion, load xenforo.com and let it idle for a while to see if i can reproduce it, doing a trace on the render engine.

Now I am provoked to just load a default install in vmware of lion, load xenforo.com and let it idle for a while to see if i can reproduce it, doing a trace on the render engine.
A vmware installation might not give you an accurate result, but it's worth a try!

Why would it not be accurate?
It's the same OS ..

Vmware installations use virtual hardware which doesn't always behave the same or have all the same "hardware" features, causing inconsistencies.

I'm not saying it WON'T have the same problem, but it *might* not. OS X was not meant to run on a virtual machine any more than it was meant to run on a non-Apple physical machine.

Still, like I said, worth a shot!

Eh ..

I run Lion in virtual machine, on .. Lion, as allowed per EULA.

(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software.

Eh ..

I run Lion in virtual machine, on .. Lion, as allowed per EULA.

(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software.
I feel like somehow you're interpreting what I'm saying as though I'm disagreeing with you, which I'm not :P

I've simply had some odd experiences with virtual vs physical machines where everything was otherwise the same (albeit they were not running OS X Lion). That's all I was getting at.

Top Bottom