XenForo.com Add-Ons / Resources System

I am sure this topic has been discussed before, but I would love to see some of these features be added to a new resources section in the future to help promote resource development:
  1. Resource Submission: I imagine this being a form that integrates with XenForo (thread creation) to setup the information display that shows the necessary information about the resource, such as: Resource Name, Description, Version Number, Support, Category, etc.
  2. Gallery/Thread Listing: The ability to list the Resources in a gallery format (screenshot of add-on or logo of developing group) with Category breadcrumbs so users can dig deep and find the proper item they need. Categories like: Admin Tools, Forum List Display, Design Theme, etc.
  3. Premium "Paid" Resources: Would be nice if developers could post premium items that show the cost and either directs to their web site where they can purchase the add-on or sends them to PayPal immediately.
  4. Anonymous Posting: Developers I am sure would love to release all types of resources but do not want to be communicated to support it, especially if they don't have time to continually advance it. This option will allow them to submit the application anonymously.
  5. Add-on Statistics: Would be great if Kier or Mike can use this new section to show the number of resources (perhaps splitting add-ons and design resources) available dynamically and also have the resources posted by users attached to their member profile page. A most liked resource would be great as well since the "Like" functionality already exists.
  6. Update Notifications: Like WordPress, it's awesome when it tells you that an update is available for your installed resources. The ability to let developers push updates directly to installations would be awesome. If not to that degree, at least let them know when new resources have been released.
  7. Installation Difficulty: The ability set the difficulty level of the resource installation would be awesome. So newer users with less xen-saviness as I will call it to save time can easily know what simple resources they could install. Being able to sort by this would be cool of course.
  8. Awards/Trophies: Even developers love to be praised. Giving out regular awards on a monthly basis would be great to the "Most Popular Resource", "Developer/Designer of the Month" or something to that effect.
So, now I'm interested in everyone elses idea. I thought about making this myself with a developer but figured it has more of an impact living here after a short discussion with Kier about it. This may already be in the works, but maybe this can help spark some ideas and discussions around the "potential" of a new resources section. Thanks for your time :).

Regards,
John

I've moved the thread from dev questions to feedback.

As you probably know, a system is planned (as confirmed by Mike and Kier) so it's just a matter of time until it's implemented.

Discussion surrounding the implementation of it is probably a good idea though, to see what input others have.

I've moved the thread from dev questions to feedback.

As you probably know, a system is planned (as confirmed by Mike and Kier) so it's just a matter of time until it's implemented.

Discussion surrounding the implementation of it is probably a good idea though, to see what input others have.

Gracias Brogan, once again. Your a like a ninja moderator, but less scary!

If agreed by the Op I feel the thread title needs changing from Add-on" to resources or something similar as the submission sections Collectively (resources) doesn't only consist of add-ons and template modifications but also styles and standalone graphic packs which would also need their own specific fields.

Resources should be looked at as all types (add-ons, template mods, styles, graphics) not only add-ons. Hopefully the OP will agree and this will give stylers, designers to be part of a beneficial discussion that will ultimately benefit every one.

If agreed by the Op I feel the thread title needs changing from Add-on" to resources or something similar as the submission sections Collectively (resources) doesn't only consist of add-ons and template modifications but also styles and standalone graphic packs which would also need their own specific fields.

Resources should be looked at as all types (add-ons, template mods, styles, graphics) not only add-ons. Hopefully the OP will agree and this will give stylers, designers to be part of a beneficial discussion that will ultimately benefit every one.

A bit embarrassing. Being a designer myself I should have thought of this. I tend to attribute add-ons since I don't usually require design resources myself. But it is a major part of the XenForo community. So yes, can someone change the title to be "A New Resources Section". Thank you Shelley for the clarity (y).

IPB is ahead of the game ... ANY forum solution not providing a marketplace on their site AND marketplace capability for their customer's forums is lacking vision :)
I'm not impressed with IPB's marketplace. I can certainly see some major flaws. I don't think it's very popular either. As everyone knows, good ideas are cheap - implementation is everything :)

Ideally I would have heard about Xenforo earlier .... as a forum / community *DESIGNED* from the ground up with an APPS store in mind would truly be a HUGE commercial success. I'm pretty sure it's not too late anyway. Xenforo is so awesome (fast, well designed) that I'm sure the future is bright regardless. Anyone with any taste should know that Xenforo is the way forward for communities, IMO.

Anyone who likes the APPS store idea ... my first post needs some likes, please and thank you.
And anyone who thinks it's hard to "Like" First Posts after a thread gets over 10 posts, like this too :)

I have ideas for an APPS store, that go well beyond what IPB has done. I want it to create a Micro Economy. More on that later.

Anyone else want to throw in some APPS store ideas ... for and against ?

Anyone love IPB's marketplace ?

somewhere in between an app store and the wordpress plugin system would be cool.

iPhone AppStore like prices for add ons would be very palatable.

Apple take a percentage of AppStore sales, so it would make sense for xenForo to do same.
There is some lag whilst ios apps go through the review process, so taking a small cut would take care of resource overheads and could improve the quality of the mod.

a free apps/paid apps section, ratings/comments, categories and app updates would be superb.
Don't know how template edits could be dealt with.

I hope to see a marketplace...but i don't like the IPB Marketplace.

I like free mods and i like to donate to free coders, but if i have to spend i prefer to give my money to a professional product with a professional support. I don't like to give money to a coder to doens't have the intention of upgrade/support their products regularly...

It's can be good for Xenforo to have another revenue system. But i think, if Xenforo decides to create this, should be created and one click install mods, like Wordpress. In this case it's a win-win project imho.

i have a suggestion about xeforo site. I think xenforo site should have an addon and style index. Its not very healthy and suitable to search the adons on the forums.
maybe index page could has two tabs which addons from users and formal addons. Same for the styles and other modules.

I've just merged 9 threads all about the same thing - some sort of system for add-ons and resources for the XenForo.com site.

Mike and Kier have made it clear that they plan to implement something so it's just a matter of time.

All other new threads relating to the same thing will be merged with this one as it's impossible to keep track of comments spread across numerous threads.

Mashing together 9 threads ? o_O
Sometimes mashing threads together just kills them all.
I just found this by chance, as well, whereas I was Watching the other thread.
The thread dealing with "Should we an APPS store like Apple" was generating some good discussion.
I'm not sure of the need for mashing them together. I don't see them as similar either.
Most of the ideas were independent ideas.
I think we might be seeing some over-merging here.
Merging is a better than deleting duplicate indentical threads. It's more polite. Mashing together 9 independent threads isn't particularly helpful.
I've never heard of a 9 thread merge.
Many people liked my APPs store thread. The idea has lots of merit.
Is it possible to have it back ?

Having discussion for essentially the same topic spread across 9 different threads was not productive nor useful.
It just leads to fragmented discussion and makes more work for the staff in trying to deal with it all.
If I had closed all of the other threads, the discussion would still have been fragmented and spread throughout different threads.

You yourself started two or three different threads on essentially the same thing, just with a different name.
Was there really any need for that? That also isn't particularly helpful.
I spend around 14-16 hours a day on here so anything which increases my workload unnecessarily really doesn't help anyone.

The developers have more than enough feedback now, and as it's all confined to one thread, it's easy for them to refer to it.

A system is planned. Why not just wait and see what it is?

By all means continue to post your ideas, but let's keep them to one thread, instead of having to hunt around the forum for all the different suggestions.
The fact that I was able to find 9 different threads on the same subject says it all.

There are numerous threads about this already.

An add-on system is planned.
Already excited to see that one... XF as a site, and company, is really beginning to truly establish itself nicely. I look forward to seeing the innovation implemented here that we have now become used to using as part of the software. How does one excel beyond perfection? :whistle:

Top Bottom