XenForo Bulk Email (to over 7,000 users)

latros

Would it work by default, or would I have to set up some sort of SMTP server?

I know with IP.Boards, it would cap the # of emails it would send, there was a way to prevent that, but I wasn't really sure how.

I need to be able to send 7000 emails per week all at once, does XenForo limit it as well?

It's a pre-sale question, he's not asking HOW he can do it, he's asking IF he can do it ;p.

I think the limits would really come down to your host limitations, I know email throttling has been suggestion before though.

You can also check out: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/mailchimp-xenforo-plugin.14469/

Sorry, that happens when you don't read the post properly :D Apologies.

1) You can go with the default just by sending e-mails to your members via the default e-mail feature. No extra SMTP settings needed, via PHP.

2) Also if you prefer a SMTP server, there is an option group where you can set your smtp server. There are some threads here in this forum where people set up gmail as smtp server.

3) Mailchimp is pretty decent you can send out up to 2000 of your subscribers for free. A benefit is your server IP is not in danger of getting blacklisted and mailchip offers good analytic tools and tracking features.

Good luck :)

But using the default e-mail feature, does it cap the # of emails?

Would I be able to send 7,000 emails all at once?

I'm not sure what you meant with " does it cap the # of emails"

It sends 100 (if my memory serves me correct) at the time. I haven't attempt to increase it before nor I needed it. But sending 25k users e-mail didn't take me long.

yes as far as your email server is concerned, it would try to send all 7,000 emails out at once. There is not throttling like IPB although this is needed and has been requested.

Its something thats causing me issues atm as I email using google and it has send limits imposed. It doesnt matter if you use the php function or smtp.

There is a work around using exim to queue your email send send them out x numer per hour, but you need to be confident in server configuration to do it.

I'm not sure what you meant with " does it cap the # of emails"

It sends 100 (if my memory serves me correct) at the time. I haven't attempt to increase it before nor I needed it. But sending 25k users e-mail didn't take me long.

He means whether the facility puts a cap on (in other words, limits the maximum of)) how many emails are sent at a time.

yes as far as your email server is concerned, it would try to send all 7,000 emails out at once.
email throttling

(1) Here is Deeb's workaround.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/site-timing-out-when-posting.24609/#post-304773

(2) Setting up gmail as your SMTP server is a good idea.

(3) Brogan has an AdminCP tweak.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/limit-number-of-emails-sent-per-hour-email-throttling.6486/ (it only works for email sent from the AdminCP).

Answer:

It depends on your hosting setup.

XenForo does not limit you on how many e-mails it can send out. It will mail out all 7,000 e-mails, but it does so at about 100 at a time.

Your hosting / server setup will determinate how well it can handle this process.

Didn't someone at vB.org have a mod, that sent out emails X per a hr or something along that line.

So that way you can get around your server limitations.

That is if someone develops a mod similar here at xF.

Also check out Mandrill - it's an email delivery and tracking system from the guys at MailChimp.

You can use it directly via SMTP or via its API. It also has a webhook feature where you can set up a call-back URL where it sends notifications of bounced emails so you can mark them as bad in your user database.

It does implement it's own internal throttling based on your deliverability results (ie too many bounced emails = throttled sending), and you'd not want to hit it with 7,000 emails all at once - best to let it ramp up a bit first to ensure it knows you're not a spammer.

It allows 12,000 emails to be delivered each month for free, or you can pay $9.95 per month for 40,000 emails per month.

Top Bottom