Add-on XenForo Blogs Add-on in Development

Robust

I initially announced the creation of this add-on on a thread a short while ago. I wanted to follow up on this with a more official post from us.

This is the message I posted in response to when it'll be released and what it'll have, in basic:

I've never really believed in releasing buggy software. I'm sort of taking my time with it. A lot of the back-end is done and when it's completed it'll likely be checked over to remove unnecessary code and complete optimisations and small errors. It's going to do a beta - RC - release structure, with a small group of beta testers before a public buyers beta. I'm really excited with how it's coming out, it's feature fledged in my opinion as a community blog, taking inspirations from both IPS Blog and WordPress, picking out the best with a few special integrations. More information to come in the official announcement.

So we're working on an add-on that is a fully feature fledged blog add-on for XenForo. I don't believe this exists right now. There was an admin articles system renamed to a blog, but otherwise the only solution for blogging is the discontinued Better Blogs add-on.

We hope to release an add-on that combines the most powerful features of a community based blog combined with an easy to use mass community based environment like a forum platform.

The price of this would be £60 for your first year, with (significantly) cheaper renewal pricing. Branding removal would be available for the price of our higher tier branding removal pricing.

So it's not exactly cheap, but it's not expensive either. The add-on will take quite a bit of work to create from scratch and that's what I believe constitutes the price. Hopefully the payoff is worth it for your site.

As far as features go, you can take your favourite features of a blog and assume they could be here. We do plan on having user and group/team blogs, blog entries can be tagged as well. Delayed posting will also be an option right from the first version. Blogs can have various graphical images associated with them, if the administrator wishes to allow it. We do hope to potentially allow custom slugs in a later update, without an ID reference, but that's not planned for an initial update. Blog comments will be a thing and are permission controlled as well as per-blog or per-entry controlled as well, which is also permission controlled. Of course, as with all of our add-ons, we make everything configurable and permission controlled.

I've only really outlined some of the things we have planned. As you can probably tell, it is going to be as customisable as possible by the administrator through various options and permissions.

We do plan on releasing a beta, following into a release candidate stage before going into a full release. With an add-on of complexity, it's expected to have some bugs here and there and hopefully this will help us iron them out. Prices during this stage will be cheaper as a generosity towards potential customers that help us through this stage.

More information to follow!

If you have any suggestions, please let us know.

Very exciting, and really looking forward to seeing this and hopefully migrating from Better Blogs.

Is a importer planned to import data from the better blogs add-on?
Yup, for Better Blogs, yes.

If you're importing from other platforms (vBulletin), I'm not sure if I'll make a specific importer for it. Probably not at immediate release, but later on it's likely.

The XenBlog add-on will not have an importer - as we're working on a blog and that's more of an articles system, so it's not really possible for us to make an importer for that.

@Robust when will be ready?
We initially gave an ETA of late February but for a polished beta release I think we'd be looking at sometime March, but it's rather early to say. It's a long-ish time, but we do want to get it right. We don't want to rush it.

Yup, for Better Blogs, yes.

If you're importing from other platforms (vBulletin), I'm not sure if I'll make a specific importer for it. Probably not at immediate release, but later on it's likely.

The XenBlog add-on will not have an importer - as we're working on a blog and that's more of an articles system, so it's not really possible for us to make an importer for that.
That's good, I'll keep my Better Blogs add-on just turned off still for now then and not uninstall so i can save old data

I'm definitely interested in Beta testing. Will there be an importer for ThemeHouse XenBlogs?

I'm definitely interested in Beta testing. Will there be an importer for ThemeHouse XenBlogs?
Sadly not:

I don't see you losing much data - it's an articles system more than a blog so I wouldn't imagine you have any "blog" content. It wouldn't be possible unless we treat categories as blogs and the articles as blog entries, but that's not reliable either.

@Robust I suppose I'll stick with XenBlogs then as I've invested time and money into it and it's now being actively developed. Not to mention my users have already posted like 20 entries.

Good luck with your project tho! :D

@Robust I suppose I'll stick with XenBlogs then as I've invested time and money into it and it's now being actively developed. Not to mention my users have already posted like 20 entries.
They are offering refunds. If I was in your shoes, with such a small amount of entries, I reckon I'd be getting that refund, disabling/uninstalling XenBlogs, and waiting a few weeks for this one.

They are offering refunds. If I was in your shoes, with such a small amount of entries, I reckon I'd be getting that refund, disabling/uninstalling XenBlogs, and waiting a few weeks for this one.
When is this new one being released for testing? :) They are offering credit, not refunds, and my members will be annoyed if I remove their entries. :(

Looking forward to the beta of this @Robust really xenforo as yet to get a high quality blog add-on to match xenforo, so hopefully this might be it and i would be willing to pay for the beta (early access, whatever people wanna call it nowadays lol)

Will this system have the ability to make multiple posts within one blog by the author?
Rather than you make a new blog every time you want to make a post as an author?

Will this system have the ability to make multiple posts within one blog by the author?
Rather than you make a new blog every time you want to make a post as an author?
Yes, of course. A permission system controlled by a blog "owner" will be available. I think it's mentioned in the original post.

Top Bottom