Xenforo based hosting

Lexy

Anyone to know good reliable hosting for Xenforo, and one more question it is better to not enable suhosin on server.

@Tracy Perry, not everybody is skilled at setting up a dedicated server like you are and therefor can't afford a managed dedicated server or a managed VPS for that matter. Oh and it's "fish or cut bait" but I picked up what you were layin' down . :)

A lot of people seem to forget that admin services can be purchased separately, and most certainly don't have to be paid monthly. I'll probably take a little heat for this one from my compadres, but once the server is set up initially, hardened, etc., there isn't a whole lot to do until you need to update/upgrade the OS, etc. Managed service is not normally something you need to have 24/7, unless you really are completely clueless and need somebody to hold your hand every step of the way. As long as you know the very basics, you're going to be fine. Then just pay for a management team when you need it. If you only have to pay for an hour of admin time every 3 months, or 6 months, or what have you, you can get a cheaper VPS or dedicated server without management.

There are also some extremely cheap VPSs with some not-so-good companies out there, but who cares? Don't worry about the quality or uptime. Buy some cheap low-quality VPS and use it to learn. Learn how to upgrade/update the OS, learn how iptables and firewalls work, etc. And if you mess up, you just re-image the VPS and start over again.

Another way to make things easy (and I'll take heat from this again, from the anti-control panel folk) is install something like cPanel. For $30-ish a month, it takes the guesswork out of many parts of running a server, and makes basic "management" a little easier.

A lot of people seem to forget that admin services can be purchased separately, and most certainly don't have to be paid monthly. I'll probably take a little heat for this one from my compadres, but once the server is set up initially, hardened, etc., there isn't a whole lot to do until you need to update/upgrade the OS, etc.
Won't get any argument from this peanut gallery.
Just get somebody to set the base OS up and secure it with something like CSF (easy enough to modify for your needs as it's config file is well documented).
After that it's easy enough to do an aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade (in the case of Debian) or a yum update (CentOS) to keep the OS updated.
If one runs into a problem then just contact the individual that did the initial install for assistance. It's usually cheaper to pay for a one time fee than a monthly fee for something that you can do yourself.

Another way to make things easy (and I'll take heat from this again, from the anti-control panel folk) is install something like cPanel. For $30-ish a month, it takes the guesswork out of many parts of running a server, and makes basic "management" a little easier.
For a smaller VPS (and I know you will agree) like 256mb/512mb then this is NOT a route you want to take. For a 1GB plan it will work well - and in the mean time you can still look around via SSH at the different config files it generates to see how stuff works.

At the same time one can install VirtualBox on their desktop computer and create a VM of the OS that they are using and play with it there to get familiar with command line.

Last edited:
For a smaller VPS (and I know you will agree) like 256mb/512mb then this is NOT a route you want to take. For a 1GB plan it will work well - and in the mean time you can still look around via SSH at the different config files it generates to see how stuff works.

Completely agree. Chances are if he has outgrown shared hosting, a 256/512mb VPS isn't going to be the best fit anyway.

At the same time one can install VirtualBox on their desktop computer and create a VM of the OS that they are using and play with it there to get familiar with command line.

Absolutely! Huge VirtualBox fan!

Top Bottom