XenForo 3

I think we'll have to leave the 2.x branch behind at some point.

If we follow semantic versioning of semver.org, a major change is one that breaks the 'api contract' and isn't backwards compatible.

Obvious changes to the back end can cause this to happen, but likely there is easier ways around it such as creating a new function instead of changing the current one.

Maybe it's not even back end changes.

Perhaps it's a major UI re-write (eg, jquery goes away) instead of a back end re-write.
html6 comes out and there's a new way to do templates.
markup is gone, markdown is useless and we are all marksideways now.... :X
php goes bankrupt and the back end switches to python
each function becomes integration routes and is pay per hit/use on a cloud-like basis

there's 1000s of things we can speculate around.

2.x will be here a while.
3.0 might happen in our lifetimes.

anything else, is pure conjecture.

I would bet money that there will not be a XF 3.x version for quite awhile (I'd say 2028 at the absolute earliest). This is of course with zero inside knowledge. But let's look at the facts:

1.0 was released in March, 2011
2.0 was released in November 2017
1.x had minor version released of: 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5

It's been 2 years since 2.2 was released.
Developers have said there's a 2.3 version coming (see this post).
Developers have also said that 2.x have a longer shelf life than 1.x did because it's more mature. It doesn't need a complete/major restructuring or rewrite.

...so my logic is that is 2.x minor versions have a 2 year shelf life and we'll probably also see 2.4 and 2.5 someday... There's not going to be a XenForo 3 in 2023. Which is great as far as I'm concerned... Addon developers aren't into rewriting everything from scratch every time there's a major version. I'd be stoked if there was NEVER a 3.0 version. Let's just go to 2.99. :)
Thank god. I can't go through another difficult version migration anytime soon. :D

I can't really understand this hype about new versions. What do you expect from it? A better frequency of your forums? This has nothing to do with the serial number of your Xenforo. The thread content and good members are solely responsible for this.

Please stay on v2 for as long as possible.

Curious though, what are people looking for in a v3 that couldn't be done with an add-on in v2?
Or with a new feature in 2.x.

3.x is more like under the hood changes. For example, no longer using entities or the finder system or repositories. Maybe something better will come along some day, but if it's just front-end features people are looking for, those can (and will) be added to 2.x.

So the real question to me is, "What under the hood systems in 2.x are people looking to have replaced with something else?" Because that's when you would see a 3.x branch.

I would bet money that there will not be a XF 3.x version for quite awhile (I'd say 2028 at the absolute earliest). This is of course with zero inside knowledge. But let's look at the facts:

1.0 was released in March, 2011
2.0 was released in November 2017
1.x had minor version released of: 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5

It's been 2 years since 2.2 was released.
Developers have said there's a 2.3 version coming (see this post).
Developers have also said that 2.x have a longer shelf life than 1.x did because it's more mature. It doesn't need a complete/major restructuring or rewrite.

...so my logic is that is 2.x minor versions have a 2 year shelf life and we'll probably also see 2.4 and 2.5 someday... There's not going to be a XenForo 3 in 2023. Which is great as far as I'm concerned... Addon developers aren't into rewriting everything from scratch every time there's a major version. I'd be stoked if there was NEVER a 3.0 version. Let's just go to 2.99. :)
Totally agree. Migrating from XF 1 to 2 was an expensive exercise. All the addons had to be rewritten, we lost some from devs who didn't publish an update and we had to pay for some vital ones to be recreated. Plus AVForums has our own editorial system with CMS that had to be refactored.
When we finally migrated, we were offline for days. It was horrendous. I don't doubt it was necessary, but I hope, if/when it happens, 2 to 3 is less painful.

Top Bottom