Xenforo, 2 months, no spam....

=MGN=RedEagle

So I launched my first live/public XF website two months ago and I am amazed to see not a single spammer! Is this possible? Have you guys noticed the lack of spam?! I kind of feel lost without any anti-spam admin duties... :confused:

First CMS I ever installed where spam was not an issue.

It depends on your questions for registrations.
But, yes, there are not so much spammers on xf forums. :)
I have two in this year

I've only had one in the only forum guests can post, but all posts there have to be approved by a mod anyway, and once I'd deleted the 3rd thread, I banned their IP.

Been quiet ever since ;)

Liam

That is quite possible.

However, it's also possible that XRumer does not yet "support" :rolleyes: your site. Once their periodic searches for new sites pick up your site and add it to their central database, the real test begins. :D

With the add-ons that we relied on for the anti-spam efforts on 1.1.2 & 1.1.3, we had logs of rejected registrations to note the efforts. XenForo 1.2 doesn't provide such logs, so it's harder to tell if the spammies are knocking at your door. You might periodically take a look at your active users and see if there are an unusual amount of these:

upload_2013-12-2_10-22-27.webp

The registering guests are usually spammies trying to get in.

Last edited:
However, it's also possible that XRumer does not yet "support" :rolleyes: your site. Once their periodic searches for new sites pick up your site and add it to their central database, the real test begins. :D
This is correct. I get spam at least once or twice a week, sometimes once a day or twice a day. I had like 5 (or more) spammers sign up over the thanksgiving weekend and I spent the next 30 minutes cleaning their garbage. What surprised me, though was that some of the spammers were able to post a spam message or two - mostly with html.

I laugh because they actually think xenForo is HTML-enabled. Stupid bots. :ROFLMAO:

This is correct. I get spam at least once or twice a week, sometimes once a day or twice a day. I had like 5 (or more) spammers sign up over the thanksgiving weekend and I spent the next 30 minutes cleaning their garbage. What surprised me, though was that some of the spammers were able to post a spam message or two - mostly with html.

I laugh because they actually think xenForo is HTML-enabled. Stupid bots. :ROFLMAO:

If you getting that much spam, something's probably not configured correctly. XenForo anti-spam measures have reached the point that the base poster's two months w/o spam are entirely feasible. My post was only to point out another possible explanation.

If you getting that much spam, something's probably not configured correctly. XenForo anti-spam measures have reached the point that the base poster's two months w/o spam are entirely feasible. My post was only to point out another possible explanation.
No dude. I've been getting this since last year - it's not the software or my options - it's XRumer hitting my site repeatively. I even tried discouraging the IP's to prevent these spammers from re-registering. 50% are from India (new IP's every time), and 20% are from Russian area networks.

With the right combination of addons & settings it's very possible. I have in average 500 registration attempts made by spammers but they are detected and blocked.

I delete about 10 spam accounts from 8wayrun.com A DAY.

And our Q&A questions are stuff like:
  • What is Jaxel's favorite character in the Soulcalibur series (answer: watch this video)
Its amazing.

Xrumer has, for some time, had a centralised Q&A list - as in they'd find a forum, a human would solve the question, and it would end up in the central list so any other bot would have the answers.

Suggestion: change questions regularly.

Top Bottom