[XenConcept] Linked Accounts

[XenConcept] Linked Accounts [Paid] 2.4.5 Patch 1

No permission to buy ($40.00)
@BassMan, great job fixing this incompatibility so fast, thanks again!

@XenConcept ,
really pleased, how this add-on grows. May I suggest 3 things?
  • Is it possible to add a limiter, how many Linked Accounts a usergroup can have? That way it would we could promote paid subscriptions better and make multiple Linked Accounts available for supporting/paid usergroups, while the default usergroup just can have one?
  • Could it be possible to add an optional "Hide nav button on smartphones", since the space there isn´t endless and the smartphone logo is shrinking an shrinking? ;)
  • Don´t want to sound like Monk, but it would be more teasing the eye, when the Linked Account button would blend in better in the nav group. By now it seems it uses a different styling as the other buttons and always looks like a .seletced button. Could you apply the same classes to it, as the others are using?
colour.png

And I found one issue, but may be it´s just on my site: I´ve set up a usergroup for Linked Accounts and put it into the admin.php?options/groups/xc_linked_account/ . Unfortunal the usergroup doesn´t become applied to the linked account, wether as primary nor as secondary usergroup. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:
really pleased, how this add-on grows. May I suggest 3 things?
  • Is it possible to add a limiter, how many Linked Accounts a usergroup can have? That way it would we could promote paid subscriptions better and make multiple Linked Accounts available for supporting/paid usergroups, while the default usergroup just can have one?
  • Could it be possible to add an optional "Hide nav button on smartphones", since the space there isn´t endless and the smartphone logo is shrinking an shrinking? ;)
  • Don´t want to sound like Monk, but it would be more teasing the eye, when the Linked Account button would blend in better in the nav group. By now it seems it uses a different styling as the other buttons and always looks like a .seletced button. Could you apply the same classes to it, as the others are using?

I'll study it for the next update.

And I found one issue, but may be it´s just on my site: I´ve set up a usergroup for Linked Accounts and put it into the admin.php?options/groups/xc_linked_account/ . Unfortunal the usergroup doesn´t become applied to the linked account, wether as primary nor as secondary usergroup. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

It don't applies to existing accounts. Only for new accounts

It don't applies to existing accounts. Only for new accounts
Any chance you could add either a usergroup setting "Can link existing accounts" or an automization to move linked existing accounts to the same usergroup as new linked accounts?

What would really ease up the work for moderaters would be, when the profile block in posts could have a note like {{ phrase('linked_to') }}: {username_of_main_account}, only visible for admins and/or mods. That way staff isn´t forced to take the long path through the ACP to check, who is who or wether this Linked Account is belonging to a problem user, just trying to feed the fire with his linked account posts. Would be really helpful and time saving to be able to see the main account in the profile block at a glance.

The more and more I dig into your add-on, the more I get excited. This is really an underestimated one, @XenConcept - good job :)

Any chance you could add either a usergroup setting "Can link existing accounts" or an automization to move linked existing accounts to the same usergroup as new linked accounts?

What would really ease up the work for moderaters would be, when the profile block in posts could have a note like {{ phrase('linked_to') }}: {username_of_main_account}, only visible for admins and/or mods. That way staff isn´t forced to take the long path through the ACP to check, who is who or wether this Linked Account is belonging to a problem user, just trying to feed the fire with his linked account posts. Would be really helpful and time saving to be able to see the main account in the profile block at a glance.

All right, I'll look into it for the next version.

The more and more I dig into your add-on, the more I get excited. This is really an underestimated one, @XenConcept - good job
Thank you

@XenConcept ,
sorry, if I have to burden you with more work - but yesterday I noticed a few things that you might want to have a look at. When a new linked account is created, a new regular user is created in the database. If the main user later removes the link with the linked account, it is a completely independent one. The first problem with this is that the former linked account has never agreed to the terms of use or privacy policy. The login data can simply be passed on to a third person who can then use the account as a separate main account.

To optionally prevent linked accounts from being used as independent accounts, new user group privileges would be necessary:
  • Can unlink linked account
  • Can log in via / use the regular forum log-in
  • Can set a password for newly created linked account (if no, field isn´t visible and the password field in the db is empty)
  • Can use password recovery
  • Can change password
This way
  • a) the linked account can only be used by the main user via the account switch,
  • b) the linked account is then subject to the same terms of use and privacy policy of the main account, as it is a permanent part thereof.
Another is, if the main user or the linked account is sanctioned, these sanctions would of course have to be applied to the other accounts as well - otherwise the user simply continues with his other account in the case of a ban. It's the same if you delete one of the accounts or the forums provides a self-delete function - the other accounts stay the same and you don't notice that they can still be used by the user. It would be great if you had an idea how to solve this problem.

Not sure if I'm missing something but it seems like switching linked accounts doesn't work for me, it just refreshes the page and I'm still logged in to my main account. I use UI.X for what it is worth. Also I don't know if this is possible but it would be amazing if it could support the Post Comments addon. :) Really want to use this.

Is it possible to add a limiter, how many Linked Accounts a usergroup can have? That way it would we could promote paid subscriptions better and make multiple Linked Accounts available for supporting/paid usergroups, while the default usergroup just can have one?

Can you give me some details? Screenshots?

Could it be possible to add an optional "Hide nav button on smartphones", since the space there isn´t endless and the smartphone logo is shrinking an shrinking?

Added in the next version

Don´t want to sound like Monk, but it would be more teasing the eye, when the Linked Account button would blend in better in the nav group. By now it seems it uses a different styling as the other buttons and always looks like a .seletced button. Could you apply the same classes to it, as the others are using?

After watching it is not possible to do so. It looks like the error came from Font Awesome.

Not sure if I'm missing something but it seems like switching linked accounts doesn't work for me, it just refreshes the page and I'm still logged in to my main account. I use UI.X for what it is worth. Also I don't know if this is possible but it would be amazing if it could support the Post Comments addon. :) Really want to use this.

What do you mean? What are the steps? Do you have any screenshots?

Can you give me some details? Screenshots?
Can´t give you screenshots of a function non-existent, but I´ll do my upmost to describe it accuratly ;)
Linked Acccounts is a helpful tool for providing users the option to add a second, connected account for different use cases. But in most use cases a user only needs one or two linked accounts - and you as a webmaster don´t want users to have unlimited linked accounts, since this 1. will undoubtly be abused, 2. leads to greater confusion for visitors and members, when linked accounts of a single user interact with each other in discussions, 3. supports starting flamewars, trolling etc and adds a huge load to the moderation work since you first have to figure out who is who to recognize that this is a trolling in the first place. So, in fact, I can´t imagine a use case to allow for unlimited linked accounts at all. On the contrary, unlimited linked accounts would make me not use the add-on at all on live forums. But that´s my point of view regarding linked accounts in general.

Regarding limiting the number of linked accounts, the idea behind is quite simple. If you have to use paid usergroups with subscriptions to monitize your forums because you don´t want to have ads in it, Linked Accounts shouldn´t be available for everyone. Instead - as in my case - I want to have
  • no Linked Accounts for the free membership
  • [x] Linked Accounts for the paid usergroup #1
  • [y] Linked Accounts for the paid usergroup #2
  • [z] Linked Accounts for the paid usergroup #3
  • aso..
That way it adds to making the subscriptions more attractive.

After watching it is not possible to do so. It looks like the error came from Font Awesome.
@Chris D , can you give an advice here?

Last edited:
Your support link (on the product itself) is a 404 so I'm asking here - can you think of any reason why the link icon would show up on Firefox but not on Google Chrome? Thanks for your time!

Can´t give you screenshots of a function non-existent, but I´ll do my upmost to describe it accuratly ;)
Linked Acccounts is a helpful tool for providing users the option to add a second, connected account for different use cases. But in most use cases a user only needs one or two linked accounts - and you as a webmaster don´t want users to have unlimited linked accounts, since this 1. will undoubtly be abused, 2. leads to greater confusion for visitors and members, when linked accounts of a single user interact with each other in discussions, 3. supports starting flamewars, trolling etc and adds a huge load to the moderation work since you first have to figure out who is who to recognize that this is a trolling in the first place. So, in fact, I can´t imagine a use case to allow for unlimited linked accounts at all. On the contrary, unlimited linked accounts would make me not use the add-on at all on live forums. But that´s my point of view regarding linked accounts in general.

Regarding limiting the number of linked accounts, the idea behind is quite simple. If you have to use paid usergroups with subscriptions to monitize your forums because you don´t want to have ads in it, Linked Accounts shouldn´t be available for everyone. Instead - as in my case - I want to have
  • aso..

Thank you for your explanation.

Your support link (on the product itself) is a 404 so I'm asking here - can you think of any reason why the link icon would show up on Firefox but not on Google Chrome? Thanks for your time!
I contacted you in a private message.

• aso..

@XenConcept ,
any chance to see at least the limitations per usergroup in the near future? Would be highly appreciated.

Top Bottom