Xen Forum HOSTING - $1 first month - Money Back Guarantee

Status
Not open for further replies.
ISP/Hosting - I missed that slash. An ISP (internet service provider) is whomever is selling you the internet access to view this forum.

I never worked for any as I was a part time business owner up until 1996 and then I have been full-time since then.

ISP, Web Development, Software Design, Hosting etc, all have been my own business as a VAR or fully owned service provider with work done in-house.

As far as the Industry being small 94-96 that is not true. Maybe you were in a small town or something. I know there were hosts in every major city in 1994. And like most, we focused on the abundance of business right in our own city.

You might be thinking domain registration when Network Solutions had a monopoly and it costs $50 per year with a minimum 2 year registration to start for a .com TLD and a super complicated set up system that only a tech could configure to make work properly.

The servers were hosted in regular offices, along with Banks of modems T1s and T3s were just fine to handle all the bandwidth necessary. We created and sold BBS space. Later sold dial-up access back when it was still 14.4 and AOL, Compuserve and Prodigy were battling it out. Originally it was per minute then AOL changed the game and everyone had to switch to unlimited.

But all that is another lifetime and this is off topic. If you have such questions, PC would be the appropriate place for it.

XF doesn't have one click install ?

Xen, like wordpress etc, requires you to first upload the files via ftp and setup a mysql db.

In fantastico, this is all done for EVERY DOMAIN you have automatically.

No Mysql setup, no ftp uploading.

I could literally have 10 or more word press domains installed in the time it took you to upload the xen files on ftp with the fastest connection

this may help some

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

thats overselling. So what is your catch before you suspend the customer for high mysql usage/memory usage/amount of hits received/fair usage of cpu allcolation?

Could you link us to your Fair Usage policy and TOS please? Obviously you aren't offering anything unmetered as thats physically impossible.

A link to your site is a must if you want to be taken seriously here.

On a general note about hosting, always check WebHostingTalk for reviews of any hosting provider first ;)

thats overselling. So what is your catch before you suspend the customer for high mysql usage/memory usage/amount of hits received/fair usage of cpu allcolation?

there is no "catch", unless something is wrong, with the space allocated, it is not likely that they are going to be using resources like that. If they do, we take it on a case by case basis and come up with a solution for them.

That is fine for free open source programs.
XenForo requires a license.

One of the reasons why there is no auto-install function for that.

Could you link us to your Fair Usage policy and TOS please? Obviously you aren't offering anything unmetered as thats physically impossible.

A link to your site is a must if you want to be taken seriously here.

On a general note about hosting, always check WebHostingTalk for reviews of any hosting provider first ;)

Though members since 2004 we have no reviews on wht good or bad because our customer base has never been the kind to know a wht exists

as stated we are making a site just for xen...if a fancy website with nothing but an emails address RATHER than a company history is a deciding factor for someone to be taken seriously...well...lol...i will leave it at that.

ISP/Hosting - I missed that slash. An ISP (internet service provider) is whomever is selling you the internet access to view this forum.

I never worked for any as I was a part time business owner up until 1996 and then I have been full-time since then.

ISP, Web Development, Software Design, Hosting etc, all have been my own business as a VAR or fully owned service provider with work done in-house.

As far as the Industry being small 94-96 that is not true. Maybe you were in a small town or something. I know there were hosts in every major city in 1994. And like most, we focused on the abundance of business right in our own city.

You might be thinking domain registration when Network Solutions had a monopoly and it costs $50 per year with a minimum 2 year registration to start for a .com TLD and a super complicated set up system that only a tech could configure to make work properly.

The servers were hosted in regular offices, along with Banks of modems T1s and T3s were just fine to handle all the bandwidth necessary. We created and sold BBS space. Later sold dial-up access back when it was still 14.4 and AOL, Compuserve and Prodigy were battling it out. Originally it was per minute then AOL changed the game and everyone had to switch to unlimited.

But all that is another lifetime and this is off topic. If you have such questions, PC would be the appropriate place for it.
what have been the names of your previous companies?

there is no "catch", unless something is wrong, with the space allocated, it is not likely that they are going to be using resources like that. If they do, we take it on a case by case basis and come up with a solution for them.

of course they will. A single blog site only require less than 200 mb db content to attract 100 000 visitors daily. So your catch will still be seen as fair usage policy if you decide to either force customer to upgrade or to tell the customer to look for a different company. So i find your sentence contradicting itself. "there is no "catch", unless something is wrong"

as stated we are making a site just for xen...if a fancy website with nothing but an emails address RATHER than a company history is a deciding factor for someone to be taken seriously...well...lol...i will leave it at that.

When did I even mention an email address?

By your logic, some random forum member with an email address is more reputable than an established website with details about the company, its products and its policys.

You also skipped over the request for a link to your fair usage policy and terms. I, and likely everyone here would rather trust a host with a valid website over some guy on a forum with a story...I mean no offense here, but so far you have squat to backup your claims.

You also skipped over the request for a link to your fair usage policy and terms. I, and likely everyone here would rather trust a host with a valid website over some guy on a forum with a story...I mean no offense here, but so far you have squat to backup your claims.

He did say earlier that the site is in the process of being built. Just saying....

we are creating one specifically for xen...will be up soon.

I never worked for any...

As far as the Industry being small 94-96 that is not true. Maybe you were in a small town or something. I know there were hosts in every major city in 1994.

Your experience fascinates me, but you seem to be confused about some things.

In 1994, domain registration was free. It was underwritten by the NSA in America, and Network Solutions didn't start charging for registration until September of 1995 (after they were purchased by Scientific Applications International Corporation). I know that because I registered two domain names for no charge through InterNIC/NetSol prior to them being bought out and instituting the fee, and I still have the domain registration emails here (I'm weird like that). The domain registration system wasn't exactly "super complicated" unless one is confused by email.

In October of 1995, I used one of those domains for the first time to put up a web site (using best.com, now defunct). According to Netcraft, there were 19,638 active web sites in the entire world in October of 1995. Which would seem to be a small number to adequately support "hosts in every major city." At that time I did tech support for the first "WYSIWYG" site building tool, and in the course of that work I became very familiar with the few available hosts that were out there.

Early the next year, in 1996, I started working for a relatively new web hosting company in the small, hick town of Los Angeles, and our competition in the world of commercial hosting consisted of about a dozen companies, of which only Pair survives. The company I worked for still survives, but was sold by the original owners in late 1999 and no longer focuses on hosting.

Kudos for your BBS experience. That's old school cred, fo' sho' holmes. I have BBS stories that are as boring as yours and everyone else's, but this documentary is very, very interesting for anyone who cares about those days. Highly recommended!

I'm sure my experience is similar to others around here, so you might want to consider that when you make condescending posts. While you may be old school, you certainly weren't alone back then. So ease up there, Al Gore.

what have been the names of your previous companies?

a full about us page will be shown...at this point, I have no reason to entertain the people who's sole purpose is to bash this thread simply because they are a competitor or anti-selling.

of course they will. A single blog site only require less than 200 mb db content to attract 100 000 visitors daily. So your catch will still be seen as fair usage policy if you decide to either force customer to upgrade or to tell the customer to look for a different company. So i find your sentence contradicting itself. "there is no "catch", unless something is wrong"

I never said there was no AUP...I simply said there was no "catch".

When did I even mention an email address?

By your logic, some random forum member with an email address is more reputable than an established website with details about the company, its products and its policys.

You are a competitor, attempting to discredit someone who may take business from you.

I know for a fact, when you list an ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER and RELATED companies...people are MORE COMFORTABLE than simply buying from someone who has a support "form" and a website template...you know, like you do.

Your experience fascinates me, but you seem to be confused about some things.

In 1994, domain registration was free. It was underwritten by the NSA in America, and Network Solutions didn't start charging for registration until September of 1995 (after they were purchased by Scientific Applications International Corporation). I know that because I registered two domain names for no charge through InterNIC/NetSol prior to them being bought out and instituting the fee, and I still have the domain registration emails here (I'm weird like that). The domain registration system wasn't exactly "super complicated" unless one is confused by email.

In October of 1995, I used one of those domains for the first time to put up a web site (using best.com, now defunct). According to Netcraft, there were 19,638 active web sites in the entire world in October of 1995. Which would seem to be a small number to adequately support "hosts in every major city." At that time I did tech support for the first "WYSIWYG" site building tool, and in the course of that work I became very familiar with the few available hosts that were out there.

Early the next year, in 1996, I started working for a relatively new web hosting company in the small, hick town of Los Angeles, and our competition in the world of commercial hosting consisted of about a dozen companies, of which only Pair survives. The company I worked for still survives, but was sold by the original owners in late 1999 and no longer focuses on hosting.

Kudos for your BBS experience. That's old school cred, fo' sho' holmes. I have BBS stories that are as boring as yours and everyone else's, but this documentary is very, very interesting for anyone who cares about those days. Highly recommended!

I'm sure my experience is similar to others around here, so you might want to consider that when you make condescending posts. While you may be old school, you certainly weren't alone back then. So ease up there, Al Gore.
I am not confused, you are misquoting me for the purposes of being a troll. I didn't say they charged in 1994. I specifically said

As far as the Industry being small 94-96 that is not true. Maybe you were in a small town or something. I know there were hosts in every major city in 1994.

notice "94-96"...that is called a "range" and it was that time period I was speaking of. It is wonderful for you to grace us with your historical knowledge and your resume...sadly your experience is LIMITED to HOSTING.

You forget that many comapanies needed communication structure for various puproses. While websites really didn't make sense until the "web" came around in 97 and functionally popular in 99, does not mean the ISP industry was not around. Try wikipedia for those things ok?

In the end who cares and how does all that relate to this topic...i told you if you are concerned PC me...and thats the point, you were NOT alone. I don't have to defend myself to someone who has made it a point to harrass ne license holders, myself included. So stop trolling this thread. I already reported you. If they don't do anything about it, no problem, as I am simply ignoring anything else you write, because your negativity is clearly transparent.

Thanks Peggy - must have missed that :)

I'm still being ignored about the fair usage/TOS/etc though :/
ignored? how long ago did you post that?

sorry, did you feel i had nothing better to do than bicker with you about something that is not going to make any difference at all...clearly you are not in need of hosting as a COMPETITOR...so....

Status
Not open for further replies.