xBox One = Lose

Okay, let's say the Xbox One can consistently see you and your penis. Which I doubt, the camera isn't that good under real-world lighting, but let's run with it. Okay, so, now that's a thing... let's see why anyone would actually care. Let's face it, a piece of hardware has no interest in or ability to perv up your genitals, so clearly the worry is someone else seeing them, right?

Let's look at that. Let's assume a million Xbox One units were shifted so far, judging by early reports. So, here's another assumption - All of your crotch-shots are being recorded by the Xbox One, transmitted to Microsoft's data servers, and what the hell, being lifted and analysed for testicular nuclear bombs by the NSA. To do that, the Xbox One will have to be streaming data constantly - either while the console is on, or if your tinfoil hat is feeling particularly tight today, all the time. For the latter example, that's a million audio/visual streams converging on Microsoft all at once all the time, at which point they're recorded - even if only for a month or so - and analysed. I hope the problem is beginning to become self-evident, but if not, let me explain some more.

I don't know what resolution the Kinect's camera is, so let's take a guess and say it's about 720p. So, streaming low-profile 720p video means you need about 75 kilobytes per second, per device, if we're just sending video and not audio. That's still 75 gigabytes being put into Microsoft's datacenters a second. Never mind that this isn't even the infrared data the NSA requires to identify your nuclear balls, or audio to determine which shopping mall you plan to blow up.

Now, any of the more seasoned server admins will say that actually, it's possible to sit a datacenter on some fat lines and pull in and process that sort of bandwidth. And yes, it is. But it's incredibly expensive given the sheer amount of storage you'd need to keep this stuff even for a day or so, and I honestly cannot possibly see why Microsoft would want to commit the extraordinary amounts of money to it, bearing in mind they're already busy having to beef up their Xbox Live servers purely for legitimate uses... or as legitimate as racist thirteen-year-olds on voice chat can be.

Beyond the simple server problems, we also have another issue: Someone, eventually, will notice that suddenly much more data is being used. It'll annoy ISPs, and it'll annoy bored Wireshark users even more. And Microsoft will be dragged through the mud even more when this is revealed. So why would they pay money for that possibility? Let's not forget that the NSA and their good friends around the world have plenty of ways of tracking all of us without needing to bankroll a pokey console developer.

So, without transmitting this data, what exactly happens to it? I'll tell you. It's stored in the Xbox One's memory for a bit, then promptly cleared again when it's done. I return to the point I started with: The Xbox One does not have the ability to look at your genitals in any sort of perverted way. So, where's the problem? I don't trust any of the major companies either, but let's be practical about what Microsoft can actually do here.
Post of the year.

;)
What's changed since I graduated high school in 1982? Usually I play with the clan or a group of friends that are of my same sick minded ilk. :p

:laugh:

I mainly game with friends since the friends I'd added on my steam list I'm guaranteed a good gaming experience each and every time. If by chance a troll does enter (disrupts the game) we just vote to boot which is effective on atleast l4d2.

;)
What's changed since I graduated high school in 1982? Usually I play with the clan or a group of friends that are of my same sick minded ilk. :p
From what I can tell, being born ten years later than that, is that people tend to use naughty language more. That's about it. :D

From what I can tell, being born ten years later than that, is that people tend to use naughty language more. That's about it. :D
After 14 1/2 years as a cop, I can probably give them a good run for their money. :whistle:
Most of the guys I play with are in their 30's and up (a few 20's age range but they act older). We typically just stay in party chat and don't have to worry about the other users that may join.

Really... when did a PC become able to play xBox Live? :whistle:

Whats the point of Xbox live, on the PC?
Besides some of the few exclusive games, the PC offers everything Xbox live offers... but on a much more open scale.
Plus PC dedicated servers can run many more players, then any Xbox live server could ever imagine of running.

So I am not really sure what point you are trying to make with this :p

Whats the point of Xbox live, on the PC?
Besides some of the few exclusive games, the PC offers everything Xbox live offers... but on a much more open scale.
Which is not necessarily a good thing. :rolleyes:

Plus PC dedicated servers can run many more players, then any Xbox live server could ever imagine of running.
You honestly think that they can't have a game server that honors "many more" players? Most of the restrictions are game based.

So I am not really sure what point you are trying to make with this :p

I thought it was REAL simple to understand... if you like xBox Live... you can't have it on the PC for most games that have a console equivalent? :whistle:

:D There can be only one. :D
600px-Left-4-dead-2-logo-wallpaper.webp

Which is not necessarily a good thing. :rolleyes:

You are right. Being restricted with your hardware, and online experience is the way to go :eek:

You honestly think that they can't have a game server that honors "many more" players? Most of the restrictions are game based.

Microsoft has already announced on multiple occasions, that due to specs... player amount for servers will not match the same of the games equivalent PC version.
Let me add, that dedicated servers on the PC are much more extensive with the server config. FTP access of the game server. Not something I ever see being brought to Xbox live.

It would never be possible to 300+ players in one Xbox Live server like PlanetSide 2 does on the PC (just one of the many game examples).

I thought it was REAL simple to understand... if you like xBox Live... you can't have it on the PC for most games that have a console equivalent? :whistle:

I am still at a loss, as to why anyone would rather have the Xbox live experience of the same game that could be played on the PC. (that is if you have a proper machine to the enjoy the game to its full potential).

You are right. Being restricted with your hardware, and online experience is the way to go :eek:
Again... Miss
I have NO desire to be playing a game with a 100 <l>users online. :sneaky:

Microsoft has already announced on multiple occasions, that due to specs... player amount for servers will not match the same of the games equivalent PC version.
Let me add, that dedicated servers on the PC are much more extensive with the server config. FTP access of the game server. Not something I ever see being brought to Xbox live.
And the MORE reason I prefer the console play. Again, I have NO desire to play against "hundreds" of users at one time.
It would never be possible to 300+ players in one Xbox Live server like PlanetSide 2 does on the PC (just one of the many game examples).
What's PlanetSide2... oh, that's right - a game I have no desire to play. :D

I am still at a loss, as to why anyone would rather have the Xbox live experience of the same game that could be played on the PC. (that is if you have a proper machine to the enjoy the game to its full potential).

Simple to understand.... for 12 years I maintained the stupid things... I don't want to have to use one unless I absolutely have to! That's one of the reasons I have a Mac. (y)
When I want to play a game I don't want to have to make sure that I have the latest/greatest hardware to get decent performance.:coffee:

Again... Miss

And the MORE reason I prefer the console play. Again, I have NO desire to play against "hundreds" of users at one time.

Simple to understand.... for 12 years I maintained the stupid things... I don't want to have to use one unless I absolutely have to! That's one of the reasons I have a Mac. (y)
When I want to play a game I don't want to have to make sure that I have the latest/greatest hardware to get decent performance.:coffee:

I think you make a good point there. Preferring the PC I also have no desire to play against scores of players. I like to game amongst people I know and gamed with where it gets to the point we all gel together and know each others tactics which ensures a good gaming experience.

I've never been one for playing in large online groups (it's too erratic). When your amongst your own circle of friends I find you get some really good gaming on the go.

I think when it's all said and done, no matter what system your on if your getting a good gaming experience does it really matter whether it's play on xbox, pc, ps, zx81. Gaming experience is what matters and if each respected system can deliver that then the whole vs thing is mute.

Again... Miss

Just one of the many possibilities of PC online gameplay.

Just one example of the many games that prove a exclusive experience that only the PC has to offer.
You said you used to be a LEO, well then maybe ARMA 3 would be appealing to you?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Unfortunately Xbox does not have the hardware to run this game to its full potential.

I understand that it is somewhat of a hassle, to build a custom gaming PC. But it also is not as hard as you think, if someone knowledgeable helps you along the process.
You will not be limited 3 years down the road, in which the Xbox One will be with its outdated hardware. Once again, the possibilities are unlimited aslong as the technology is out to support it.

Look, I understand that you enjoy the convenience of Xbox Live. I did to for many years. I understand.

But to this day, games are more of a endless experience on the PC IMO. Not to mention, if you have the rig to run it... games look visually better as well at max settings via PC.

By the way, thankyou for your service. It is much appreciated. Just finished first semester of the academy (y)

I understand that it is somewhat of a hassle, to build a custom gaming PC. But it also is not as hard as you think, if someone knowledgeable helps you along the process.
You will not be limited 3 years down the road, in which the Xbox One will be with its outdated hardware. Once again, the possibilities are unlimited aslong as the technology is out to support it.
Considering that for 2 years I built the computers in use at one of the facilities and several of the servers I think I have enough knowledge to do it... I was also water-cooling/OC'ing before it was "cool".

By the way, thankyou for your service. It is much appreciated. Just finished first semester of the academy (y)
Thanks... I'd still be in it except for the fact I would have still been at the same department where I ended up shooting a suspect. Another officer should have pulled the trigger earlier and as a result an innocent lady died. Left a bad taste in my mouth and they kept giving lip service to more training for the officers but never did it. Decided since I could work on computers I'd go to doing that.

Thanks... I'd still be in it except for the fact I would have still been at the same department where I ended up shooting a suspect. Another officer should have pulled the trigger earlier and as a result an innocent lady died. Left a bad taste in my mouth and they kept giving lip service to more training for the officers but never did it. Decided since I could work on computers I'd go to doing that.

Thats unfortunate. Who knows what was going on in the responding officers head.

I have been in the cadet program for years, and have come to the conclusion that it is either the LEO route... Or honoring my 4 year degree, pursuing cyber space security as a Officer in the Air Force.
This next semester will most likely make the decision for me.

Thats unfortunate. Who knows what was going on in the responding officers head.
That's easy.. he was afraid of confrontation and could not take aggressive action when necessary. Turns out he had been fired by 2 other departments for standing by and watching while officers were fighting a suspect (one case the officer ended up in the hospital). Back then the "bad things" were not passed on to other departments when they were hired after being fired from somewhere else.
I have been in the cadet program for years, and have come to the conclusion that it is either the LEO route... Or honoring my 4 year degree, pursuing cyber space security as a Officer in the Air Force.
This next semester will most likely make the decision for me.
Honestly... got the latter. Law Enforcement isn't what it used to be... it's becoming to militarized. The idea of being there for society isn't as strong as it was.

Wasn't impressed by the XBOne launch. I wasn't impressed by the features either, nor by the fact the Kinect 2 uses a proprietary connector (no out of the box PC/homebrew support).

If someone stuck a gun to my head and said "you're getting one of these consoles", I'd go for the PS4, hands down. It's a superior console, with a superior service, and they don't treat their customers like trash. From what my sources tell me, big things are coming for the PS4.

Also, ever wondered why EA revoked their "online pass" ambitions, etc? Because they had influenced Microsoft and thought MS were going to go ahead with the game activations and console restrictions necessary to harm the second-hand games market. Microsoft u-turning on this decision was essentially damage control to win back customers that were actually walking away from Microsoft because of one of EA's demands.

It's why I continue to refuse to buy BF4. I think it's over-hyped for what it is, and was rushed out of the door by EA's orders before it was ready - a company that when you complain about their games or ask for a refund, perma-bans you from their forums and perma-bans your Origin account as a final middle finger to the customer for thinking they ever had freedom of speech. I refuse to support Origin (a failed platform) or EA's aggressive and anti-consumer policies.

[/rant]

It's why I continue to refuse to buy BF4. I think it's over-hyped for what it is, and was rushed out of the door by EA's orders before it was ready - a company that when you complain about their games or ask for a refund, perma-bans you from their forums and perma-bans your Origin account as a final middle finger to the customer for thinking they ever had freedom of speech. I refuse to support Origin (a failed platform) or EA's aggressive and anti-consumer policies.
BF4 for the 360 definitely sucks. My console will lock up frequently in it (and usually when I'm having a great game), several times I've spawned with NO weapon shown (and stays that way until I get killed - which is frequently shortly after since it has a tendency to spawn you in front of enemies)and all to often when aiming down the sights the rear one is a solid black block and you can't see anything. The One version has had none of those problems when I've played it. I think they just hacked the One version for the 360 and it has a BUNCH of bugs in it.

Top Bottom