xBox One = Lose

I have been waiting for the PS4 to come out so I can go buy a PS3 cheap :) Never been one to grab the latest and greatest hence the reason PS4 or XBox One won't be seen in my house for a long time. Have enough trouble getting the kids off the XBox 360 to do their jobs or to visit the outside world.

Can the PS4 play Blu-Ray, does it have Netflix, can it play all PS1, PS2, and PS3 games?
Yes it can play Blu-Ray (so can the One), yes it has Netflix, no it has absolutely no backwards compatibility whatsoever.

The last one is simply because they couldn't - the move to x86 architecture simply means the processor cannot execute code designed for the older consoles without heavy emulation, which even on a comparatively fat rig like the PS4 is difficult due to the PS3's Cell graphics processor. They have a few answers, most of which involving buying ports/recompilations of the games again on the PSN, or streaming gameplay from the cloud OnLive-style.

The Xbox One has the same problem, by the way, with the same cause.

I saw how beautiful those games are compared to last gen. If GTA was cross platform and available for both systems I'd get an xbone but I aint getting one yet. It will be probably a year or so until I start caring. GTA 5 Online really extended the life of my 360.
Couldn't agree more. GTA:Online has been fantastic despite its initial issues.

I was prepares to be chucking my old clunky 360 out by the end of the year, but am more than happy to take the sensible option and wait for a nextgen console.

I'd never buy a gen 1 anyway, we all know the issues the first 360 had, and even the ps3. Plus there's the crazy price tag. Give it 6 months to a year and they'll be noticeably cheaper, as will all the launch titles.

I was prepares to be chucking my old clunky 360 out by the end of the year, but am more than happy to take the sensible option and wait for a nextgen console.

I'd never buy a gen 1 anyway, we all know the issues the first 360 had, and even the ps3. Plus there's the crazy price tag. Give it 6 months to a year and they'll be noticeably cheaper, as will all the launch titles.
I've read reports saying it's unlikely for the PS4 to get a price drop anytime soon (next few years). IMO $400 is pretty reasonable. Sales & bundle deals might be worth waiting for, but don't expect a price cut anytime soon.

I've read reports saying it's unlikely for the PS4 to get a price drop anytime soon (next few years). IMO $400 is pretty reasonable. Sales & bundle deals might be worth waiting for, but don't expect a price cut anytime soon.

I wouldn't wait for bundle deals if your living in the UK. http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/30/playstation-4-and-ps-vita-bundle-now-available-in-the-uk/

Edit: agree @mistypants it might be worth waiting but i can't see sony dropping prices anytime soon.

PS3 gen 1 was the best deal you could possibly get, because it was still backwards compatible. I still have two gen 1's that are still running perfectly fine.

PS3 gen 1 was a $900 console that they were charging $600 for... it was a great deal. BluRay players back then were closing in on $1K by themselves; and this one played games and was future proof. The PS4 is a $350 console, they are charging $400 for; so its not actually that good of a deal.

That being said, I've been a PSN+ member for a few years now; and you get something like 6 free games a month. And 2 of those games are usually high budget full priced games (unlike Xbox Live Gold, which gives you 2, 6 year old games).

Another note you may be giving up your privacy as well by just using the xbox one its definitely a risk, as it must connect to the net at least once a day and you have to have infared activated as well, more info on that here

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Another note you may be giving up your privacy as well by just using the xbox one its definitely a risk, as it must connect to the net at least once a day and you have to have infared activated as well, more info on that here

More FUD (or at least OLD info)
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-5...xbox-one-always-on-drm-and-used-games-policy/ - specifically the quote
Mattrick's post Wednesday offers an astonishing about-face for Microsoft, and illustrates the bumpy marketing path the upcoming console has traveled since its debut.

"After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again," Mattrick wrote. "There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360."

Microsoft also reversed its policy with regard to game resales. The company planned to let game publishers set the rules for reselling games to retailers, something that a regular Web connection would have allowed. Game makers could have restricted the use of games on more than one console, or required a fee for reuse. Microsoft also planned to limit gamers ability to share titles with friends, allowing them only to give a disc to a buddy who has been on their friends list for at least 30 days. And even then, each game would only have been able to be given once.

Those restrictions have been rescinded as well.

and

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-06/20/xbox-u-turn

After a fierce backlash Microsoft has announced that it will abandon its restrictive policy on pre-owned games for the Xbox One. The once-a-day internet connection requirement will also be dropped in favour of a one-time connection when initially setting up the console.

"Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback," wrote Don Mattrick, president of Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft in a blog post entitled Your Feedback Matters.

After all the stuff that went down with prism and only after the backlash are they now backing out I just don't trust them,it's to each his own,just as long as people are aware of what they've been doing and what there claiming there not doing now, its up for the peeps to decide and as for me If I had to i'd go ps4.

After all the stuff that went down with prism and only after the backlash are they now backing out I just don't trust them,it's to each his own,just as long as people are aware of what they've been doing and what there claiming there not doing now, its up for the peeps to decide and as for me If I had to i'd go ps4.

Okay, let's say the Xbox One can consistently see you and your penis. Which I doubt, the camera isn't that good under real-world lighting, but let's run with it. Okay, so, now that's a thing... let's see why anyone would actually care. Let's face it, a piece of hardware has no interest in or ability to perv up your genitals, so clearly the worry is someone else seeing them, right?

Let's look at that. Let's assume a million Xbox One units were shifted so far, judging by early reports. So, here's another assumption - All of your crotch-shots are being recorded by the Xbox One, transmitted to Microsoft's data servers, and what the hell, being lifted and analysed for testicular nuclear bombs by the NSA. To do that, the Xbox One will have to be streaming data constantly - either while the console is on, or if your tinfoil hat is feeling particularly tight today, all the time. For the latter example, that's a million audio/visual streams converging on Microsoft all at once all the time, at which point they're recorded - even if only for a month or so - and analysed. I hope the problem is beginning to become self-evident, but if not, let me explain some more.

I don't know what resolution the Kinect's camera is, so let's take a guess and say it's about 720p. So, streaming low-profile 720p video means you need about 75 kilobytes per second, per device, if we're just sending video and not audio. That's still 75 gigabytes being put into Microsoft's datacenters a second. Never mind that this isn't even the infrared data the NSA requires to identify your nuclear balls, or audio to determine which shopping mall you plan to blow up.

Now, any of the more seasoned server admins will say that actually, it's possible to sit a datacenter on some fat lines and pull in and process that sort of bandwidth. And yes, it is. But it's incredibly expensive given the sheer amount of storage you'd need to keep this stuff even for a day or so, and I honestly cannot possibly see why Microsoft would want to commit the extraordinary amounts of money to it, bearing in mind they're already busy having to beef up their Xbox Live servers purely for legitimate uses... or as legitimate as racist thirteen-year-olds on voice chat can be.

Beyond the simple server problems, we also have another issue: Someone, eventually, will notice that suddenly much more data is being used. It'll annoy ISPs, and it'll annoy bored Wireshark users even more. And Microsoft will be dragged through the mud even more when this is revealed. So why would they pay money for that possibility? Let's not forget that the NSA and their good friends around the world have plenty of ways of tracking all of us without needing to bankroll a pokey console developer.

So, without transmitting this data, what exactly happens to it? I'll tell you. It's stored in the Xbox One's memory for a bit, then promptly cleared again when it's done. I return to the point I started with: The Xbox One does not have the ability to look at your genitals in any sort of perverted way. So, where's the problem? I don't trust any of the major companies either, but let's be practical about what Microsoft can actually do here.

Last edited:
Okay, let's say the Xbox One can consistently see you and your penis. Which I doubt, the camera isn't that good under real-world lighting, but let's run with it. Okay, so, now that's a thing... let's see why anyone would actually care. Let's face it, a piece of hardware has no interest in or ability to perv up your genitals, so clearly the worry is someone else seeing them, right?

Let's look at that. Let's assume a million Xbox One units were shifted so far, judging by early reports. So, here's another assumption - All of your crotch-shots are being recorded by the Xbox One, transmitted to Microsoft's data servers, and what the hell, being lifted and analysed for testicular nuclear bombs by the NSA. To do that, the Xbox One will have to be streaming data constantly - either while the console is on, or if your tinfoil hat is feeling particularly tight today, all the time. For the latter example, that's a million audio/visual streams converging on Microsoft all at once all the time, at which point they're recorded - even if only for a month or so - and analysed. I hope the problem is beginning to become self-evident, but if not, let me explain some more.

I don't know what resolution the Kinect's camera is, so let's take a guess and say it's about 720p. So, streaming low-profile 720p video means you need about 75 kilobytes per second, per device, if we're just sending video and not audio. That's still 75 gigabytes being put into Microsoft's datacenters a second. Never mind that this isn't even the infrared data the NSA requires to identify your nuclear balls, or audio to determine which shopping mall you plan to blow up.

Now, any of the more seasoned server admins will say that actually, it's possible to sit a datacenter on some fat lines and pull in and process that sort of bandwidth. And yes, it is. But it's incredibly expensive given the sheer amount of storage you'd need to keep this stuff even for a day or so, and I honestly cannot possibly see why Microsoft would want to commit the extraordinary amounts of money to it, bearing in mind they're already busy having to beef up their Xbox Live servers purely for legitimate uses... or as legitimate as racist thirteen-year-olds on voice chat can be.

Beyond the simple server problems, we also have another issue: Someone, eventually, will notice that suddenly much more data is being used. It'll annoy ISPs, and it'll annoy bored Wireshark users even more. And Microsoft will be dragged through the **** even more when this is revealed. So why would they pay money for that possibility? Let's not forget that the NSA and their good friends around the world have plenty of ways of tracking all of us without needing to bankroll a pokey console developer.

So, without transmitting this data, what exactly happens to it? I'll tell you. It's stored in the Xbox One's memory for a bit, then promptly cleared again when it's done. I return to the point I started with: The Xbox One does not have the ability to look at your genitals in any sort of perverted way. So, where's the problem? I don't trust any of the major companies either, but let's be practical about what Microsoft can actually do here.

I'm sure I read that the kinnect compensates for poor lighting conditions. But the specs are below i believe.

Screenshot_35.webp

I'm sure I read that the kinnect compensates for poor lighting conditions. But the specs are below i believe.
It does, but compensation comes at a loss of quality. This would probably make it harder to see... smaller and more sensitive areas. ;)

Thanks for the spec sheet, that's fascinating to see. ^^

It does, but compensation comes at a loss of quality. This would probably make it harder to see... smaller and more sensitive areas. ;)

Thanks for the spec sheet, that's fascinating to see. ^^

Yeah, I mean, if your one of those males hung like a donkey the kinect isn't going to do you any favours if your one of those that walks around your house naked. Plenty of people walk around their homes, naked, partially clothed so reality it could be a cause for concern.

But the way I see it, you just have to be aware that if you bought the xboxone you agreed to purchase it's companion, the kinect. So whilst playing don't start stripping off or swinging your jigglybits around. :)

I'm fairly certain you can play with the Kinect unplugged--if you're really concerned about privacy, just unplug it when you aren't using it, plug it in when you want it. I suppose then you'll have to sacrifice voice commands, so the other alternative would be a bit of electrical tape over the camera lens. That's what most were planning to do when the Kinect was required.

Top Bottom